Thread: NRG lasers

Default NRG lasers

I have mixed feelings about writing this. It's as much catharsis as anything else.

On 22nd March I ordered an 800mW analog RGB projector from NRG. I've ordered from them in the past, they've been pretty prompt. I like the idea of ordering from the UK because Gary offers a guarantee and repair service that you would be hard-pushed to get from a Chinese vendor.

After 4 or 5 days of no-show though, I emailed NRG. They are not great at replying to emails, sometimes things get ignored. In this case, I got a mail saying Gary was going on holiday but the projector would be being built, ready for dispatch after the weekend. Cool.

The weekend came and went, no projector. But being Easter I waited till the Wednesday before asking again. Apparently the projector was still being built and would be ready the next week.

Next week: it's built, but now needs to be shipped, because although Gary works from Manchester, he ships from the Far East. So basically it's a Chinese projector and he does a bit of setup and test on them. But along now comes Mr Volcano, and NRG can't locate where the projector is. By this time, it's a month since order. That's a month he's had my £1100 and all I have are excuses and a gig to prepare for in May, so I'm getting cross. Gary placates me by saying he will send me some extra goodies with the laser.

The Volcano debacle drags on. Eventually the projector is located, stuck in Bahrein. So now I'm sitting on my hands - planning contingency. Another week lurches past. Finally the ash clears, flights get back to normal, and my projector arrives with NRG.

However, the saga does not end. Because when it arrives and he tests is, the green diode doesn't work, and there is a further 48 hour delay whilst he has to ask the factory what the problem might be. I start looking for alternatives. He says that there's another 800mW in as well - however it has the higher-rated 40k scanners. I say "forget the free goodies, just send me this laser". Gary agrees... but then 24 hours later unilaterally changes his mind. Instead he send me another projector on loan whilst he orders a replacement diode. I find out when I receive the DHL receipt - he is sending me a 2.1W RGV. And for a while, that sounded cool - till I found a picture of it, and realised that it has no U-bar on top, and so can't be attached to my rig.

I feel extremely grateful that he made such a generous gesture, but angry because it's near useless to me. So it sits in my garage and I twiddle my thumbs waiting for the new diode. Gary can't track the shipment for some reason so I am sitting in the dark. Eventually - another week later - the diode arrives, is fitted, the projector works, and is on its way. Hurrah!

Not quite over yet! I still have to return the 2.1W beast. Gary orders the DHL pickup, but I'm at work and the projector is at home, and NRG make the mistake of ordering the courier for the same day. I send him a text message saying there's been a mistake, he needs to re-book the courier for the next day. My projector arrives the next day, and the courier collects the RGV. Half an hour later, Gary calls saying "I've re-booked the courier, they'll collect it this afternoon". I inform him it's already been picked up. He seems put out. "Oh, I needed it for the weekend so I sent a next-day courier". I replied "well I guess you know how I feel then".

So on the plus side, I am pleased with my laser. Gary chucked in a DMX-controlled SD card ILD player and an ILDA cable, which can't be sneezed at. And he lent me a projector worth twice as much as the one I ordered whilst mine was being repaired. I get a guarantee, which is also great. But efficiency is not NRG's strong point. Neither is communication. I found them a bit evasive - albeit in a ditzy sort of way, not a sinister one - when I needed information. Whilst this represents a bad-case scenario (I hesitate to say "worst"), if you need goods in a hurry then you might want to think twice.

Default Update

I did my first show with the new laser last weekend. I decided that I needed to upgrade the projector a bit as it looked a bit weak alongside the gig lighting. I also thought I might as well upgrade the 20K scanners, too. I emailed NRG on Monday asking for advice / quotation. So far, no reply.