Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory power grading of laser arrays?

Default Factory power grading of laser arrays?

This post has been removed by the author. It remains only in the memories of those who already read it...
    Last edited by mpoulton; 10-28-2010 at 17:45.

I assumed they are binning info.
    Last edited by Admin; 07-12-2010 at 20:25. Reason: Toned right the fuck down.

Quote Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
    Maybe I'm late to catch on, but I just noticed a trend. All of the laser arrays from A130 projectors have a code written on the heatsink in sharpie. It says "B1", "B2", "B3", or "C". None of them say "A", and I can't find the heatsink from my A140 projector to see what it says. Are these power grades? I strongly suspect they are. Has anyone else noticed this or tried to come up with a correlation to power output?
    dont think it matters much...might as well have been stamped "this garment approved by B6"

EDIT-----interesting......................................
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

This post has been removed by the author. It remains only in the memories of those who already read it...
    Last edited by mpoulton; 10-28-2010 at 17:44.

"I also want to know: How the hell do you sleep at night knowing that you are supplying WickedLasers?"

hate to sound like a rep , cos i aint , but i appreciate their innovations for the future ..... with the smartswitch and low power lens and safety glasses the WL product is going to be the safest out there ! The loads of hobbyist and builders selling hand held 445nm with no safety features ...yes its maybe just horrible that they are out there in the first place but so are guns and landmines ..it was gonna happen someday ...and at least WL have made an attempt at safety

As regards array marking ..really aint got a clue

paul
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

@"Smart switch" - Load of cobblers...

@Diodes - check the part no...
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
    Maybe I'm late to catch on, but I just noticed a trend. All of the laser arrays from A130 projectors have a code written on the heatsink in sharpie. It says "B1", "B2", "B3", or "C". None of them say "A", and I can't find the heatsink from my A140 projector to see what it says. Are these power grades? I strongly suspect they are. Has anyone else noticed this or tried to come up with a correlation to power output?
    From what I understand about these markings: the arrays are tested and graded according to output, I assume this is done by the diode array supplier so the projector batches have some consistency, could also be related to a production line reference. Apparently the 140s have far better diodes than 130s.

Slope efficiencies...
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

I will add that most of my XJ-A140's have had a B code on them, precisely one of them had an A code. They also have a number written in sharpie elsewhere on the array, usually 17

Has anyone else noticed significant variation in the output power for diodes across an array? I thought some of them looked a little dim, so I took IU curves for an array and was amazed at the spread
    076861 power spread.bmp

There is some slight variation due to the test, but after spot checking a few diodes I would say its within ~+/-25%, so the factor of 2 difference is disturbing
    Last edited by krazer; 08-25-2010 at 18:40. Reason: typo

There is some slight variation due to the test, but after spot checking a few diodes I would say its within ~+/-25%, so the factor of 2 difference is disturbing[/QUOTE]

Is this really +/- 25% or do you mean +/- 2.5% cos if not a factor of 2 would be kind of statistically fairly reasonable.
    For same diode at -25% say 750mw and different test +25% = 1250mw.
    So a <20% real variation between diodes could give this result.

Unless I am missing something here!

What are the units of the Y axis labeled x.00E.400 ?

In fact there is much more reported variation posted all over the place though most will be due to other factors ie. driver current and optics setups.

Probably the unkoolled "pointers" with extra high power will be used a lot to pop thousands of balloons and acquire somewhat less power as a result.
    Anyone interested in starting a black balloon GB just to make sure ?

Anyone got any max TEC hysteresis recommendations for collimator blocks. I have to decide whether to use indium solder paste in loose mounts or whether this is total "overkill" .

Cheers!
    Last edited by catalanjo; 08-26-2010 at 10:50. Reason: added scale question