Thread: Blue Harvest

Default Blue Harvest

All the diodes from my XJ-A are now extracted
    see attached
    1 - close view of diode pack
    2 - complete pack removed from heatsink - showing the 0.47 ohm resistor I tagged in for testing
    3 - First diode unsoldered - I immediately shorted the pins withsolder and shorted the pads on the pcb to keep the short across all diodes
    4 - front side showing the shorts I put in place before disconnection
    5 - First bank packed in their storage box
    6 - 24 blue beauties
    7 - First bank undone

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blueharvest_002.jpg  

blueharvest_001.jpg  

blueharvest_004.jpg  

blueharvest_003.jpg  

blueharvest_006.jpg  

blueharvest_007.jpg  

blueharvest_005.jpg  

Last edited by stanwax; 06-04-2010 at 06:53.
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

What are you doing for static protection as you remove the individual diodes? Just keeping them shorted out with a solder blob?

/offtopic
    Have you (anyone) played with the red-led source yet ?
    That must make one hell of a third-brake-light !

@ araugh - static mat - wrist strap - soldering station .....plus blobs....
    @ bart - that occured to me earlier - the poor led has not had a look in - I will have a play when i rape the rest of the optics

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

Rob, are the diodes pressed in hard or what...
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Pat - not at all one actually fell out while I was unsoldering the next one along!

Rob

Thumbs up Here's an idea...

Hey Rob;

If you put everything back together, you should have yourself a monochrome (red) projector, right?

Thinking this would make an awesome "nebula" effect for a background... Just cue up some abstract video (clouds, fog, waves, whatever). Then lay either a Lumia effect on top, or better yet a couple stacks of 2D "grid" style diffraction gratings in front of a low power green laser, and you've got yourself a Blisslight! How cool is that?

Many years ago a buddy of mine went all out for his Halloween display. He had lasers, black lights, fog machines, a plasma disc, and the "Night on Bald Mountain" scene from Disney's Fantasia playing on a sheet behind him (rear-projector). But the cool part was that he had the red and blue emitters disabled, so it was displayed in this creepy green monochrome. Awesome!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hey Rob;

If you put everything back together, you should have yourself a monochrome (red) projector, right?

Thinking this would make an awesome "nebula" effect for a background... Just cue up some abstract video (clouds, fog, waves, whatever). Then lay either a Lumia effect on top, or better yet a couple stacks of 2D "grid" style diffraction gratings in front of a low power green laser, and you've got yourself a Blisslight! How cool is that?
    Hey, there's a good idea for one. Even if you would harvest only half the diodes, you still have a fixture left that's capable of projecting RGB colour bundles and abstract atmospherics.

A set of two DMX colour changers or gobo projectors would set you back the same amount as two of these Casios, if you count lamp life for gas discharge bulbs. And a system like this is even more versatile than changers or gobos, since you can in essence project ANY shape or logo to a client's wishes.

Or toss in some now cheap 405's, they should fluoresce that green nicely.

405 on a screen should produce a nice blue. (It does on a bright white sheet)

Or toss in some now cheap 405
    Without "some other adjustments" that experiment won't last very long.
    The current the casio directs though these diodes will obliterate 24 phr-803 in seconds.