Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Casey Stack Laser Safety Seminar - Update info

Thumbs up

The seminar will start at 9 AM (eastern daylight savings time, or GMT - 5) on Monday, August 23rd. I expect it will last until around 5 PM or so.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    The seminar will start at 9 AM (eastern daylight savings time, or GMT - 5) on Monday, August 23rd. I expect it will last until around 5 PM or so.

Adam
    Count me as a "probable" attendee.....
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Smile

Cool deal, Randy.

By the way, for those of you who are on the fence about attending this thing, let me tell you a little bit about Casey. He is one *hell* of a cool guy. Very much "one of the gang". He would feel right at home here on PL, if he only had time to post. But he's certainly someone who would not be out of place at a LEM.

I've spoken with him several times on the phone, and every time it's turned into a marathon conversation that ends up covering a wide variety of topics. The guy really knows his shit, but he's also very curious about new ideas and new technology.

So while this seminar is mainly aimed at projector and show safety, not to mention compliance, you have to understand that it will be more like a continuation of SELEM - at least with regard to the technical discussions that will be taking place.

I envision this seminar as part lecture, part dialog. And I'm sure we'll be discussing lots of things besides 21 CFR 1040! I honestly believe the seminar will be every bit as much fun from a social standpoint as it will be informative from a classroom / seminar standpoint.

So if you're wondering if it will be worth it for you to take an extra day off from work to attend, the answer is *YES*!

Adam

This seems like a opportunity I can't pass up!

Smile

Yeah, that would be my assessment. Seriously, if the only thing holding you back is a day of vacation, then call in sick. It's going to be worth it - trust me!

Adam

Smile

Just another update: I spoke with Jim yesterday, and it appears that WebEx will allow us to broadcast the seminar with ease.

We've got a few tests scheduled so we can iron out the specifics of the broadcast widget. But assuming everything works out, we'll be able to use it for the entire seminar.

Details to follow after we've completed the first test.

Adam

i am in person
    may have a friend to web also

I would be very interested in the webcast as I live in Seattle. Is the webcast available for viewing later or will it be live? I work a couple jobs and it would be hard to juggle schedules around for a live webseminar. This is such a great idea and I am grateful you guys are making this available via the www.

Cheers,
    Matt

Unfortunately, the webcast will be live only. Recording can not be permitted due to copyright restrictions. Sorry.

Adam

Smile Test results of Webex software

Just another update...

On Friday afternoon we tested the Webex software. Jim Boyce hosted the broadcast, and DJmatt and RGB-gas were tuned in with me to watch. We tested it on 3 browsers (Safari, Internet Explorer, and Firefox) on two separate OS's (Mac and PC). We also tested the phone-in feature for audio, as well as live audio on the computer.

We played around with the software for a good two hours, and the consensus is that this stuff is PERFECT for a web seminar. Although the video quality isn't the best, it's very good for things like powerpoint slides. You can also share your desktop, which would allow people to do on-line tutorials for things like laser show software. (Now there's a cool idea!)

So we're going to go with the Webex solution for Casey's seminar. I plan to do another live test with Casey, and then perhaps one more test with someone in Europe and someone in Australia. (I want to see if we have any bandwidth or connection issues with multiple international users.)

Assuming it all goes well, then we'll open the seminar up to web attendees. So stay tuned!

Adam