Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Raster-induced scanner blowout...

Lightbulb

That X is hosed... Swap signals and I bet that overshot swaps also. That sucks; you didn't even get to see the magic blue smoke did you?

Interesting, the X scanner is running a good bit slower than the Y scanner. It simply appears to be a tuning issue, but for it to have changed so suddenly makes it almost certain that there is a problem somewhere.

Did you adjust the tuning at all after this happened?

Are you very good with tuning? The first thing I'd try is to unplug the X cable from the X amp and attach it to the Y amp, and vice versa. This will tell us for sure if the issue is amp or scanner/cable related. You may need to adjust tuning on both axis after moving the cable.

Can you read the read the information on the part identified below, the big yellowish/orangish part.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan%20amp.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	17483

edit- I don't think it's the issue, yet, but I've actually seen a bad scanner cable cause something similar to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    OK -

Here's the gory results (no retuning attempted; doesn't appear to be affected by scan angle):

Attachment 17480Attachment 17481

DZ - Here's the amp:

Attachment 17482

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    That X is hosed... Swap signals and I bet that overshot swaps also. That sucks; you didn't even get to see the magic blue smoke did you?
    Nope, no magic smoke -

All I got to experience was that loud, irritating sound that reminded me of a scene from the movie "Dumb and Dumber"...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Lightbulb

It looks similar to an issue i had with my scanpro 30s. The Y galvo went out; I tuned it back and it would slowly drift back to looking slighty worse than his pictures. I did this for a week before I sent them back for repair. They were under warranty also.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Interesting, the X scanner is running a good bit slower than the Y scanner. It simply appears to be a tuning issue, but for it to have changed so suddenly makes it almost certain that there is a problem somewhere.

Did you adjust the tuning at all after this happened?

Are you very good with tuning? The first thing I'd try is to unplug the X cable from the X amp and attach it to the Y amp, and vice versa. This will tell us for sure if the issue is amp or scanner/cable related. You may need to adjust tuning on both axis after moving the cable.

Can you read the read the information on the part identified below, the big yellowish/orangish part.

Name:	Scan%20amp.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	17483

edit- I don't think it's the issue, yet, but I've actually seen a bad scanner cable cause something similar to this.
    Part Number:
    One side is "QF3H Mexico"; the other side is "x60 X185"

This all happened suddenly mid-show, so I don't suspect a cable issue.
    The test patterns looked fine prior to running the rasters.

Dave at LSP reponded earlier and mentioned there was a good possibility the magnets in the galvo are torched...

Here's the gore with XY swapped:

Name:	ILDA_XY swap (Medium).JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	17486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LM_XY swap (Medium).JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	17485
    Last edited by Stuka; 06-05-2010 at 13:50.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I can't find any specs on that switch. I'm guessing these scanners are out of warranty? If so, and there's nothing to loose, just short out the poly switch and see if it makes a difference. Or, swap the galvo/amps around to see if the issue follows the scanner or amp.

Part Number:
    One side is "QF3H Mexico"; the other side is "x60 X185"

This all happened suddenly mid-show, so I don't suspect a cable issue.
    The test patterns looked fine prior to running the rasters.

Dave at LSP reponded earlier and mentioned there was a good possibility the magnets in the galvo are torched...

I can't find any specs on that switch. I'm guessing these scanners are out of warranty? If so, and there's nothing to loose, just short out the poly switch and see if it makes a difference. Or, swap the galvo/amps around to see if the issue follows the scanner or amp.
    My previous response is updated with photos....

Yep, out of warranty.

I take it the part in question is probably the Poly Switch?
    RR

Sweet.....

My previous response is updated with photos....

Yep, out of warranty.

I take it the part in question is probably the Poly Switch?
    PM coming .

PM coming .
    Bummer -

bypassing the Poly Switch didn't work...
    RR

Sweet.....

Bummer -

bypassing the Poly Switch didn't work...
    Well that stinks, not terrible though. Looking at the previous pic, the problem does appear to be with the amp, which is good, much easier to fix an amp than to fix a scanner. Would be much easier if the thing was sitting on my bench though. See if you can get the inner circle to increase in size by adjusting servo gain.