Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maybe we do need to start worrying about a "beast"...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Only concern about 'LPF' is that fewer 'valves' seem-to exist, there - here on PL, you have many 'seasoned vets' and, generally-speaking, a much-better 'atmosphere of respect for ones' elders' / advice / "the Regs"/safety-principles... but you're probably right... the first idiot to 'light-up a chopper' with one of these will likely be a 'buddy of a friend of an aquaintence' of an XYZ-forum member vs a 'direct' one....
    I seem to remember an incident with Green Pointers and a Radio Controlled
    Helicopter at an event by some of these "seasoned vets"... IIRC...

It is not LPF that may be the cause of any problems.... but the new young
    non-informed... irresponsible and "too lazy to read basic Laser Safety precautions"
    Member over there (or anywhere)....
    Most informed LPF members push Laser Safety on the noobs when they see that
    member has no clue...

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

I agree to the general problem of easily-available high-power laserdiodes. but then, come on.. is it so much worse now? 200mW of decent-collimated red or 100mW of well-collimated green over 500mW of somewhat-collimated blue? it may or may not be worse, but from what I think, its not a totally new quality of that danger. its close to impossible to stop the availability of highly-dangerous laserdiodes. if those 445nm diodes get "secured" (bonded, banned), its way too late for the red ones and for anything the chinese exporters think is lucrative to sell. education? I'm all for that! I had the idea to make a "quiz" before letting a new member register at any of the laser-related forums. like "what is divergence" and "what laser-intensity may already be eye-dangerous?" and the like, nothing too difficult, but with a clear message. but then.. ebay and any other place will be flooded with diodes. in short: I am glad, but surprised, that not more incidents happened than I noticed.. even shorter: have no answer, I feel your pain. Manuel

While I agree wholeheartedly with any concerns about the safety of these diodes, I would like to point out that multi-watt IR diodes have been available very cheaply for some time. It's not uncommon to see high-powered IR portables either.. An invisible beam is quite a bit more dangerous than a visible blue one. Blue is going to be much more highly sought, though and that creates a high risk of injury due to the volume.

I personally would use these as a portable pen. Before anyone starts 'bashing' on me about this...I believe like most people that these lasers should get in the hands of people who are going to have great respect of what they're doing. I don't walk around with a portable in my pocket with a erg to press it and shine it all over. I once took a 500mw green to the beam and waiting for it to be night where not many where around, used it for maybe a few mins to experiment, and called it good. I had permission from the beach staff to use it, and i kept it in my pocket for 5 hours not using it.

I would agree that selling the lasers for $50 may seem bad. However, for people that use them for projectors...scanners...or portable lab use, $50 is a nice price to keep. I just think a system needs to be out there to keep the newbies from burning their eyes out and blaming us for the cause. I wouldn't be surprise if they started to get this cheap on ebay.

I have plans to use mine for portable lab reasons. Experimenting, enjoying the brilliant blue beam, and who knows...maybe a custom CNC etching/burn. I find my self to be very trust worthy with high power lasers, I always wear glasses and never point them towards me or at mirrors that face towards my general area. But we do need a way to keep a nice low price BUT kick out the kids that are in danger...Just my thoughts. Thanks.

Hi 'Killa' -

Welcome to PL...

Quote Originally Posted by Killa-X View Post
    I don't walk around with a portable in my pocket with a erg to press it and shine it all over. I once took a 500mw green to the beam and waiting for it to be night where not many where around, used it for maybe a few mins to experiment, and called it good. I had permission from the beach staff to use it, and i kept it in my pocket for 5 hours not using it.
    Huh - question: Where was this beach 'located' (US State or Country will suffice...)

Just curious...

peace..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

It was located in Michigan and i happen to be decent friends with the guy that was monitoring the area...So i had permission from him, but not the state No boats on water..I just always wanted to see how it refracted into the water knowing its filled with particles of sand and really deep.

I just hope these lasers can stay at the low cost they are...Like anything in this world, Things are becoming cheaper. People have their own responsibility. For the same price a kid can buy a BB gun and shoot his eye out. He can also shoot it, and have it hit something, and hit his eye without glasses...Just like a laser. And now days you see younger age people (like when I was 14) shooting shotguns...People just need to learn what they're messing with before they get things!!!

Heck, people like kids can find and play with microwave transformers, and these kill :P
    Last edited by Killa-X; 06-06-2010 at 20:24.

It was located in Michigan and i happen to be decent friends with the guy that was monitoring the area...So i had permission from him
    ... so, it was just shot into the water, not airspace? (I do have a 'point'
    j

Yes reflection off the water was taken under consideraion. Clear night and I didn't see a moving blinking star, otherwise known as a plane. I'm not one of those fools that get in the press about shining a green laser at an aircraft :P My lasers are usually always used inside. Time to time I like to take them to fields. Night time plus many corn stalks equals many dots at different depths into the corn stalks. Cool stuff

Night time plus many corn stalks equals many dots at different depths into the corn stalks. Cool stuff
    ..I hear you on that... try grass (lawn) and/or thick carpet...

Yes reflection off the water was taken under consideraion. Clear night and I didn't see a moving blinking star, otherwise known as a plane. I'm not one of those fools that get in the press about shining a green laser at an aircraft
    Nor am I implying-that, but a question for you: if you had shone it out into airspace, what laws would you have broken, in-so doing? (again, I have a 'point'... )

j

Quote Originally Posted by RedlumX View Post
    Incidents are pre-programmed and I guess what will happen is that Casio will be mounting the diodes in a way so that they can't be extracted any more non-destructiveley, and end of story.
    I assure you they will do nothing at all to the design, The projector will die only if the projector market says it is no good...a small fortune has been spent to get project to this stage...casio will do nothing that would require another small fortune to "fix"
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.