Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: A plea for safety, pl edition.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    However, you see this on CD / DVD players. Despite having 150mw 640 inside or similar ...
    Which DVD players have 640nm reds in them? Or do you mean 660?

projecting high power coherent light from the outlet window.
    the output of the casio is not coherent

Cool

I've long thought this international standard needs changing as you don't have to be a laser enthusiast to get curious and open something up especially when there's a malfunction. To my mind it should always be labelled with the correct class and an eye safety warning irrespective of encasing.
    I'd say that it should be labeled *INSIDE* as to the class of the laser, and outside as to the class of the device. If you rip the cover off, there should be a warning sticker inside that says "if you pull this next cover off, you will expose yourself to ClassIV laser radiation, blah-blah-blah"...

Adam

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    the output of the casio is not coherent
    Not until you pop the hood, raise the diode block, and fool the interlock. The you best have some hefty goggles. And sunscreen.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Not until you pop the hood, raise the diode block, and fool the interlock. The you best have some hefty goggles. And sunscreen.
    So it should have defeatable interlock warning label inside. Does it? Anyone have a pic of the outside class I labeling?

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    The only thing I gotta say, is - and I know I'll be 'filleted-alive' for this, but - this thing, imo, is NOT a 'safe' product, as-is, as a CONSUMER product... sorry, but this:

... imo, is NOT ADEQUATE for a product that, '5 phillips-head-screws and a small-piece of gaff-tape over a micro switch-later', you've got 24 friggin WATTS of fairly-tightly collimated laser-output comin-out...

...at LEAST, (imo) they should have had a small 'optical pick-off > sensor' - heck, even a strategically-placed sensor, picking-up on just-enough-of all the 'ambient' inside this thing, tied-in with the Interlock circuit... and/or using, like, 'rivets' on the access-door - what reason would a *normal consumer* NEED to get into that compartment, but-for a service-tech? (...and us ....

..Sorry, but I can't see how this got worked-around, COMPLIANTLY, with the IEC-standard...I just cannot-believe that they (Casio) SHOWED, and/or the FDA inspector who 'signed-off' on this, ever saw THIS, which we've all-seen, blah, blah, etc...
    Jon posted it a few posts back...

I've had CD players with stronger warnings then that.

It really needs some sort of internal interlock warning. Does it have one inside?

And for those of you who need some daily reinforcement of why this is important to me,
    read and view:

http://jrm.phys.ksu.edu/Safety/LaserSafety.pdf

Steve

Lightbulb

I don't see any warnings; the one above isn't even on the door... or close to the door that covers the blue block. It is literally 6 screws, all phllips head, and you can lift the block of blues out. To get all 24 of the beauties to fire all you have to hold down an "interlock" pressure lever for the door. There isn't any room for a warning in side.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I don't see any warnings; the one above isn't even on the door... or close to the door that covers the blue block. It is literally 6 screws, all phllips head, and you can lift the block of blues out. To get all 24 of the beauties to fire all you have to hold down an "interlock" pressure lever for the door. There isn't any room for a warning in side.
    Even arc lamp projectors usually have warnings inside, about temperature, exposed high voltage, motorized parts. Is there even a warranty sticker across the door?

Steve

I presume that this product complies.

class 1 sticker is all that is required if it does not "emit" laser radiation.

However there is also a required sticker that reads something to the effect. "dangerous levels of laser radiation is possible when cover is removed and interlock defeated"

If you remove the cover and defeat the interlock it is presumed that you are a qualified repair technician and are aware of the dangers involved if "cover is removed and interlock defeated" No sticker will change what "we" use the projector for.

keep questioning their labeling criteria and you are guaranteed a product recall and they might just "fix" a few other issues while they are "fixing" that problem. I assume there is already a "fix" in the pipeline.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.