Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scan angle limit recommendations for different show types?

Shouldn't a scanfail act immediately in such a case ?

I would not prefer errant beams in any case, no matter how split that second is.

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    Shouldn't a scanfail act immediately in such a case ?

I would not prefer errant beams in any case, no matter how split that second is.
    I don't think you'll see too many hobbyiest-level projectors in the US equipped with scanfail right now, but I'm sure most are using beam masks to catch those stray beams - just in case!

A piece of sheet metal and industrial-strength velcro work wonders....
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

In fairness, a beam-block isn't going to stop a static beam if it's in the normal scanning area. The point is that here in the US, we don't crowd-scan, so a static beam isn't a big deal. But yeah, in Europe, a static beam is a real problem, since it could be aimed into the audience. So a scan-fail interlock is crucial in those cases.

With regard to "how much is too much", I'm with DZ on this. You watch the pattern, and if you see distortion, you back off on the scan angle a bit. I'm running the ScanPro-50's, but I have them tuned for 30K so I can get a wider angle out of them. Thus far I've not had any trouble with them, but I don't push them too hard either.

It probably would be good to have a little discussion about scan angle and projection zones at SELEM, however.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    In fairness, a beam-block isn't going to stop a static beam if it's in the normal scanning area. The point is that here in the US, we don't crowd-scan, so a static beam isn't a big deal. But yeah, in Europe, a static beam is a real problem, since it could be aimed into the audience. So a scan-fail interlock is crucial in those cases.

With regard to "how much is too much", I'm with DZ on this. You watch the pattern, and if you see distortion, you back off on the scan angle a bit. I'm running the ScanPro-50's, but I have them tuned for 30K so I can get a wider angle out of them. Thus far I've not had any trouble with them, but I don't push them too hard either.

It probably would be good to have a little discussion about scan angle and projection zones at SELEM, however.

Adam
    NOT audience scanning does keep things easier, doesn't it!
    (But kudos to those who SAFELY do it right!! )

My beam mask is more for the "unscheduled max deflection event" of the scanners. While I've never actually heard of that happening, I'm pretty sure that if it did happen, my piece of 18GA aluminum sheet would keep it safely contained.

You've definitely got my vote for a scan angle / projection zone discussion!

I know my "raster" incident was a surprise - even though I didn't reduce my projection zone (stupid, stupid, stupid...), there actually wasn't any distortion - just that agonizing scream as the scanner died, and then the graphics melted.....

I hate it when that happens!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

The raster images, put a huge load/stress on any scanners, and your probably better off not doing raster images , with anything other than Cambridge scanners.

At one time, i bought new Medialas scanner amps, and they didnt last too long before they blew up,
    since then, i buy nothing but Cambridge for reliablilty .....

jst my .02
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine