Thread: A Beginners Guide?

Default A Beginners Guide?

Hiya all, I'm a bit of newbie on this site as well as lasers in general, had a few (very) low power ones in the past but just bought an ILDA compatible one for the school where I work (computer programming). Ahem, wait for it, Laserworld RS-1000. Yeah, after reading what I have on here I feel totally sick but what's done is done. Having said that, I've almost written it off before we have begun using it!

Anyway, I've already got the laserist bug and was wondering if there were any good resources for beginners guides that explain wavelengths, scanners, construction guides etc. Any help would really be appreciated.
    Regards
    kirk

Default Great thread for keeping up with

Hi Kirkles,

Welcome to Photon, I am pretty new hear too and have found a wealth of resources on here. This is a good thread to watch as the experienced member are working to put together a Safety Guideline for builders, hobbyist and master of the art.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ghlight=safety

There is also a great amount of info on the web too.

Another great way to search is member websites that they tag on their signatures. Lots of safety all over the board.

Sorry about the Laserworld. The minuet you turn it on though you will get the bug and your pocket book will be empty

Cheers,
    Matt

Default Thanks - Kvant?

Thanks for the information. This site IS an absolute goldmine of information. I have ploughed through site after site on safety infromation and for the time being I am sticking with graphics shows, scanniing just seems too risky even though I am in the UK where laws seem a lot less restrictive.

As for the Laserworld contraption (please don't laugh!) I have more or less binned the thing already. I like the look of the Kvant range. If I had a budget of £2000 is there anything you would recommend? After now gleening the Laserworld marketing tactics (which I have to say, I fell hook line and sinker for) I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Regards

kirk

I'm not laughing at all. I made of the mistake of spending a shit load of money on a 10mw fat beam from Chauvet that does absolute shit. It looks good in the closet.

I purchased my laser through Slick Lasers here in Seattle US. There are a ton of members on here that custom build lasers and you will get what you pay for and better by going with a member that lives in your area. People here are very resourceful about getting the biggest bang for your buck.

I don't know names of member and where they live but post a thread about your interest in lasers and you will get a wealth of info on what to start out with within your budget.

A lot of folks on here say to spend on the most power and make the case big enough to add too later.

So if your going for a full RGB but don't have the money to shell out on that. Spend it on one color and get the biggest power out of what you can afford but have a case made that will support running RGB int he future. Green is a great start and is best seen with our eyes. It takes a lot of red power to match the green though so make sure you know what circumstances and outcome you want out of your finished laser before you decide what you want in there.

Scanners I don't know much about but I have seen the Cambridge scanners next to Scanpro and you will get a lot more coverage with the Cambridge. Scanners are anohter expense worth saving for the best.

I am still very noob to this so opinions are going to differ. I would ask the experts on here. It's a lot of money and a very addicting field of hoby/entertainment

Cheers and take lots of pics.

Kvant are great but a true RGB 1W Kvant starts around £8,500 from memory. Even the RGV versions are quite expensive but you're paying for quality and name.

If you contact Rob (Stanwax) on here I'm sure he can guide you through the complex process of building your own projector or alternatively if you don't like that idea, can probably build one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkles View Post
    Thanks for the information. This site IS an absolute goldmine of information. I have ploughed through site after site on safety infromation and for the time being I am sticking with graphics shows, scanniing just seems too risky even though I am in the UK where laws seem a lot less restrictive.

As for the Laserworld contraption (please don't laugh!) I have more or less binned the thing already. I like the look of the Kvant range. If I had a budget of £2000 is there anything you would recommend? After now gleening the Laserworld marketing tactics (which I have to say, I fell hook line and sinker for) I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Regards

kirk
    Hi Kirk
    I second Whitelight's suggestion about contacting Rob (Stanwax). You'd be hard pushed to find more helpful resource for parts and advice. As Whitelight also mentioned, if you don't want to go down the self build route, Rob has also designed a really fantastic bang-for-buck projector which he brought along to the last LEM
    And if you're in the UK, why don't you pop over to the next UKLEM

Adrian