Thread: new build

Default new build

Morning/afternoon/evening all. Well i thought i’d share some info & pictures on my projector build so far.
    History:
    Around 7 or 8 years ago i bought a 10mw (yes, 10mw!) projector that employed DMX protocol to control some really basic scanners (if you could call them that). Back then, it ran in auto mode as i could never get it to run properly using a Behringer LC2412 (instructions written in a cross between Swahili and machine code). I was initially really pleased with it. However, frustration soon set in and i yearned for more power and more control.
    Fast forward to present day.......
    A while ago i ordered some bits from Rob ‘The Provider’ Stanwax J with a view to starting the daunting task of building my own projector. And so, there they sat in boxes until the last UKLEM (8) where the old casing went to a new home. This gave me the impetus to begin my build. After a vast amount of help from Rob, i’m at last getting there.

This weekend i finally resized the mounting plate from the original 12”x12” to fit the new case and i must say it’s a pretty good fit.
    The positioning is pretty much finalised and so tonight i’ll begin tapping the holes....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0570.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	17546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_7388.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	17545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_7382.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	17544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_7386.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	17543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_7374.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	17542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_7383.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	17541Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_7384.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	17540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_7385.jpg 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	17539

Hey thats a smart looking case
    Great to see it progressing
    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Default Update 21/06/10

Update 21/06/10:
    Fabricated a new scanblock mount yesterday and i must say i'm rather pleased with it
    I just need to lop off a bit of the excess and drill/tap the mounting holes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0652.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	993.8 KB 
ID:	17860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0663.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1,015.5 KB 
ID:	17859Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0662.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	842.5 KB 
ID:	17858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0650.jpg 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	17857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0658.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	876.9 KB 
ID:	17856

Cow-a-bunga dude!
    Looking mighty mega

There is just one small thing missing: LASERS!

But seriously, looks VERY smart. What will you be running in it when all said and done?
    Will expect it in full working order by the next Surfleet

Dan
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Cow-a-bunga dude!
    Looking mighty mega

There is just one small thing missing: LASERS!

But seriously, looks VERY smart. What will you be running in it when all said and done?
    Will expect it in full working order by the next Surfleet

Dan
    Thanks buddy

I've got a 300mW Laserwave 532 which i've been reliably informed is outputting around 440mW
    It's all going into a special case which should be ready and running by the next UKLEM.
    The plan is to finish tapping the rest of the holes for the laser, scanblock, flex mount and remaining amp then all that's left is alignment and wiring.

it may be a pain but leave the fixing of the flexmount til last, once the laser and scanners are mounted & wired get them mounted and apply power, run the laser in CW if you have to but better with some low level output then position the flex with mirror mounted and mark rady to drill & tap. This way you can be certain that the mount is in the right place.
    Also looking at the scanner block I would leave as is - dont think you will need to do any cropping, but I would put at least one more screw into it so both sides are fixed as these blocks are 2 piece so you will have better rigidity if you add one more screw.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    it may be a pain but leave the fixing of the flexmount til last, once the laser and scanners are mounted & wired get them mounted and apply power, run the laser in CW if you have to but better with some low level output then position the flex with mirror mounted and mark rady to drill & tap. This way you can be certain that the mount is in the right place.
    Also looking at the scanner block I would leave as is - dont think you will need to do any cropping, but I would put at least one more screw into it so both sides are fixed as these blocks are 2 piece so you will have better rigidity if you add one more screw.

Rob
    Will do mate, thanks for the info.:)
    Last edited by RGbee; 06-22-2010 at 05:09. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by RGbee View Post
    Will do mate, thanks for the info.

EDIT:
    Third mounting hole drilled, tapped and countersunk

I've also generated scale Google SketchUp models of a Scanblock for the ScanPro 20Kpps Galvo's and
    LWG300mW. Iif anyone want's them, just give me a shout

A quick and dirty way to reduce power for setup without a DAC

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.