Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: looking for build 'kits'.

First time I've heard of maxsink, looks surprisingly alot like a drilled out cpu fan

I guess it depends on your opinion of better. The aixiz table mounts will be much more solid and therefore better for projector use (as tiny movement throws off alignment). The solid aluminum will also heatsink well to the baseplate.

On the other hand, unassisted by a tec and not mounted to a mass of aluminum, the extruded heatsink with fan would likely provide decent cooling, but not really of solid enough construction for projector use imo.

Sounds like a case of two very different purposes, so two very different mounts.

They are for two different purposes. The Maxsink is a solid chunck of aluminum and has fins for proper heat dispersion. It's for what you would call a 'labratory unit'. Not for a projector. I want it for the 445nm diodes since they're known to put out a lot of heat. I also need a flexdrive, but that's easy to get. I have found a link to somebody I can use for custom handhelds. (Jayrob). So I'm covered there, I guess I will go with those mounts.

For projector builds we typically use "laboratory" style lasers. If you ever open up a commercial "laboratory" (proper) laser, you'll find it doesn't look at all like a drilled cpu heatsink, but more along the lines of the parts I listed.

For your purposes, you'll likely use it for short periods of time, boredom will prevail. So stability and active cooling aren't really a major concern for you.

I know they don't look like that, but that's what that HS is used for. A homemade 'labby'. I know I'll have it on for minutes on end, so A normal portable won't do, I'll need a big HS for this build.

Definitely something like that would be the best option for you in terms of cost and simplicity, and should have no problem keeping things in check for a few minutes duty cycle.

For projector purposes, run time can be in the hours, so we tend to think continuous use when designing a module, hence the suggestion of a tec and controller.

All I need is a big HS, a diode, a flexdrive set to 650mA....and I'll check Home Depot for some large lightswitch boxes. Try to get a housing that'll fit everything in it.

Could anybody here machine me a heatsink that looks like the Maxsink?
    Last edited by SoulFeast; 06-09-2010 at 07:58.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulFeast View Post
    All I need is a big HS, a diode, a flexdrive set to 650mA....and I'll check Home Depot for some large lightswitch boxes. Try to get a housing that'll fit everything in it.

Could anybody here machine me a heatsink that looks like the Maxsink?
    nit many people are willing to machine 1 heatsink.. you need to use what is commercially already out there..

you can buy one of these... http://www.microlaserlabs.com/single...der-p-106.html

and put it in a radioshack box...bang...instant labby But honestly...it looks like you want to build a square pointer so LPF is the place for that. You will have the enjoyment of a laser that is inexpensive and the added benefit that it wont roll off a table.

35 post so far...and you dont seem to understand. Lets start this way...what is your budget do you have $100.00 or 500.00 to spend on the project.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

It's only 25 posts...this makes 26. Anyway, I've got about $100 to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    ...keep trying youll find a home there for lasers that not only ROCK...but ROLL .
    hahhaa LOL