Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: dt40pro vs scanlsp-30

Smile

Glad that got cleared up... Because I've owned both ScanPro's and DT-40's (two sets of the DT's, in fact), and I gotta say that I *much* prefer the ScanPros. They're hands-down the best scanners I've ever used.

Now, I must admit that I'm very curious about the new DT-40 wides, and I will probably pick up a set at some point in the future to play with them, but I still plan to keep my ScanPro's for graphics work.

The ScanLSP's are more affordable, and the set that I reviewed still had good performance, but I don't think they're designed to compete with the DT-40 pros... (Different class of scanner, really.)

Adam

i just bought a pair of dt40w

now i just need a beam expander to do some serious audience scanning
    any suggestions?

having second thoughts, seams like a bad idea to do audience scanning
    when i canīt afford all those things needed, like a quick sensor

Default Decisions decisions..

Stan,

I read that you no longer sell Scanpro's, due to quality issues.

I have been eyeing off the Scanpro20 kit at laser Show Parts, pretty cheap. I took a look at your DT range which look good, but at over double the price.

Are the Scanpros really that bad? Are the DT's worth the extra money?

Finally, do you ever have 2nd hand galvos for sale?

I have been playing with steppers (400 step) and RC servos controlled from an Arduino, and now having learnt so much about lasers, optics and the challenges of scanning high speed I am ready to move to the next level with Galvos. I don't wish to spend a fortune at this stage but I do want a set of galvos that are reasonable. FYI my laser scanning is purely for personal enjoyments and experimentation at home.

Any recommendations welcomes.

Cheers, Wayne.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I don't wish to spend a fortune at this stage but I do want a set of galvos that are reasonable.
    Just my view...

Having owned various makes of scanners, and currently using both Cambridge Technology scanners and a set of Chinese (most likely DTs), I can say that considering the price difference, even the most expensive of the Chinese scanners are more than reasonably priced. But you should definitely aim for the best you can stretch your budget to.

I hear you.

I do not wish to blow money on what could end being junk in my parts bin...

I can appreciate the tough job galvos face during scanning, I really can't believe they cut the mustard at all, considering how fast they must move accurately. I have looked at scan servos and understand the high currents required (post the PID loop) and wow.
    This space for rent.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I read that you no longer sell Scanpro's, due to quality issues.
    Hi Wayne;

Just thought I'd point out that this is incorrect. Rob thought that the ScanLSP scanners were the same as the ScanPro's. They're not. The ScanLSP units were quite a bit cheaper.

And while it's true that the LSP units did have a few problems early on, that issue has been corrected. The set that I tested performed quite well for the money.

But in any event, this has nothing to do with the ScanPro scanners, which are very nice units indeed.
    Are the Scanpros really that bad? Are the DT's worth the extra money?
    The Scanpro's are anything but bad. In my opinion, the Scanpros outperform the DT's, with the exception of the newest DT-40 wide scanners, which I have not personally tested yet.

I have tested the Scan-Pro 30, 40, and 50 series scanners along with several cheaper sets, including the Scan-Eco 20 and LSP 30 series units. I have also tested (and owned) both the DT-40 and DT-40 Pro scanners. I am currently running the Scanpro50's in my projector, and they are absolutely the best scanners I've ever tested or owned.

Adam

I have Scanpro30 in my projector and really enjoy them. They handle well and give a pretty good angle for my set up. If I had the money I would of went DT40. I have seen them side by side and they do angle much better both x and greatly Y.

Cool

That is odd, because when I tested them side by side back in 2007, the ScanPro30's were almost identical in performance to my DT-40's. And the Scanpro 40's (which I tested in 2008) were superior to both the original DT-40's and the newer DT-40 pro's.

When you saw them both running side by side, are you sure they were both tuned for 30K? And when you say that one could scan wider, did you check the input gain settings to be sure that one wasn't turned down?

In my opinion, the best way to control for variables like these is to re-tune both sets to 30K, and then with both projectors at the same distance from the wall, project the ILDA test pattern and increase the size until the center circle starts to pull away from the center square. Measure the width of the pattern at that point and then try the same thing with the other scanners. From this you can calculate the scan angle, and the larger angle wins. This is the way I've always done my reviews.

When I did my tests, I found that both the DT-40's and the ScanPro 30's could do the ILDa test pattern at just over 10 degrees, while the ScanPro 40's could manage just over 13 degrees. (The DT-40 pro's were good for around 11.5 degrees)

And to compare, the ScanPro 50's that I'm running now can do nearly 19 degrees, which is nothing short of amazing!

Adam