Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: X-Laser

Laser Warning X-Laser

Supposedly this is an American company that assembles laser projectors and sells them with an "EZ Variance kit" which make it sound like you basically have to just sign your name and send it off to get a variance. I have never heard of anyone purchasing one of these though. Here is a link to their page, with the Variance FAQ.

http://x-laser.com/variancefaqs.fwx?FAQ=Variance
    - instinct

Hi

I looked at spec of those lasers and those are rather toys than real lasers. They claim 10k scanning as animation laser...haha....you need at least 30k, if not 50k.
    Also 402nm BLACK LIGHT...WTF is that
    And 350mW of total power - class 3B - that's weird (but I might be wrong).

I believe their lasers are OK quality, but they are aimed more at the DJ market that don't need huge multi-watt lasers and super fast and accurate scanners.

How can they get the variances for customer use though ? is it due to the IR filters ?
    I understand completely how they get them for the "pyro" series ( twinkle laser that splits the beam 50 or so times in to dots )

I watched the video of the RGB (V) to me it seems like they used 30k or above scanners for the video demonstration. It would be hard to believe those are 10k scanners

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=Kosh;123162]How can they get the variances for customer use though ?

No, you can file paperwork for a customer for a fee or part of a sale.

They came up with a decent set of paperwork and registered as a manufacturer of laser products by filing a manufacturer's report.

The variance still needs approval, and their "run without it while awaiting" is optimystic. (note that spelling)

steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by pelosh View Post
    Hi

I looked at spec of those lasers and those are rather toys than real lasers. They claim 10k scanning as animation laser...haha....you need at least 30k, if not 50k.
    Also 402nm BLACK LIGHT...WTF is that
    And 350mW of total power - class 3B - that's weird (but I might be wrong).
    Yeah, I am pretty familiar with all of the specs, but I was more or less looking into the EZ Variance kit thing.. I can only afford toys, and was thinking about possibly getting one. One day hopefully I'll get CT Lasers to build me one. I'm thinking the 402nm was a typo?? 405 is barely visible as it is.
    - instinct

The diode is likely a 405nm diode, sometimes they are listed in spec sheets as a lower end frequency. But of course that can shift when it warms up

Default X-Laser

I was able to demo an X-Laser XA100 Skywriter for a few weeks to evaluate it. (100mw 532 with 10K scanners)

That was their flagship model before the RGBV/Mobile Beat came out.
    It performed quite well and is a solid unit for the money.
    (Street price is approx $1500.00 US)

Control is via DMX, ILDA, or sound activated, so it's definately geared toward the mobile DJ/small club market.

The variance kit is an included CD that has all the pre-printed forms and all you do is add your info and signatures and mail it to the FDA/CDRH. It also contains the show checklists, notification form etc.

X-Laser also states in the paperwork that you DO NOT need to wait for your variance approval letter to come back before obtaining or using the product in public! (YAY!)

If anyone is interested in X-Laser, PM me, the sales rep is a close contact of mine so a very good deal can be had. It's not a bad way to get into lasers if you want a ready-to-go system.

Cheers.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

X-Laser also states in the paperwork that you DO NOT need to wait for your variance approval letter to come back before obtaining or using the product in public! (YAY!)

Nay! Prove it!

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceM.../ucm073919.htm

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-13-2009 at 22:11.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...