Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wierd "wrong color" problem

Default Wierd "wrong color" problem

I have problems with my new RGV projector, it just won't lase what colors I tell it to. The XY scanning works flawlessly in ILDA mode, but the colors are all messed up, and they are mixed, so it's not a mapping problem.

Basically, when I tell the laser to lase:
    red, it lases white
    green, it lases yellow
    blue, it lases red
    white, it lases magenta

EDIT: That is in 6channel mode on the sound card. On 8 channel mode as it should be, red turns blue and all other colors won't lase.

Do you guys have any idea what could be wrong? I use Spaghetti and sound card DAC, the colors work fine on my other projector.

I tried measuring current on the ILDA cable pins, and maybe that's where the problem lies: I measure current on many of the pins that should be dead (f. ex 1V or less eff.current on the green and blue pins when I only should lase red). But then why does it work fine in my other projector?
    I know my pc is not very well isolated, do you think electric noise could be the problem?

It's not a huge problem, I mean it's still fun to watch shows on it, but it would be best to watch shows in the native colors.

Here's an example of how it should look and how it looks:

Last edited by Grix; 07-01-2010 at 06:11.

Lightbulb I think you got the blanking wires misrouted...

But I can't see the pictures either...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Oh. Well it basically just shows what I said, red as white, green as yellow etc.

Sounds more like a blanking polarity problem to me. i.e. feeding a blank high module with a blank low signal, or vice versa.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Could you elaborate? I'm not very good with technical terms..

Some lasers with TTL blanking (on or off, no dimming) are set up to be on all the time. If you apply voltage to the blanking lines it turns them off rather than on. Not very safe in event of power failure, especially when a shutter is unlikely to be fitted.
    They are supposedly shipped like this as inexperienced people were sending so many back claiming they didn't work because they hadn't applied signal to the blanking line.

In this case it looks like red may be arse about face. However, that would mean red would be off when doing white, which would give cyan (grn/blue) rather than magenta.
    Perhaps its a combination of blanking polarities AND connected to the wrong colour inputs

I checked the inside of the projector and everything seems to be wired correctly, and least the RED connection goes to the red driver and etc. I don't know for sure if the + and ground pins are switched though.
    I also tried mapping the colors in all possible ways, and inverting the color signals in all possible ways. I got a little closer, got white to be white and red to be red, but the other colors was still messed up.

Btw the modules are as you said, they turn off when blanked, if i disconnect the blanking connector the lasers won't turn off. All of the modules are like that.

Try plugging the lasers in one by one and try projecting different colours. This will tell you if you're getting output when you shouldn't. E.g. just red plugged in, you should get output on magenta, red and yellow, but not on cyan, blue, etc. It'll also show you if there's any output when there shouldn't be on any of the colour lines
    If you work through it methodically you'll soon find out what is wrong.

How would I disconnect each module? As i said, if I plug out the TTL connection the laser will lase. And I cannot disconnect the power, the connections are glued on by the company i bought the laser from

Anyways, here is the full list of input and output colors with the standard settings:

red turns white
    green turns yellow
    red turns blue
    magenta stays magenta
    cyan turns yellow (but the green laser is pulsing making it less visible.. wtf? why would that happen)
    yellow turns white
    white stays white (didn't this turn magenta before? i didn't change anything)