Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2010 --Pa, what's for dinner?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lulighttec View Post
    I have an assload of plastic flatware I can bring to help out
    OK - that will help a lot!

Hey Greg - if Lulighttec has got the flatware covered, then it looks like all you need to pick up is cups, plates, and napkins... Oh, and maybe a serving spoon or two.

Adam

I'll plan on going by Sam's on my way in to Newton. Cups, plates & napkins on the list...

Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Laser Warning

Let me know if we need anything eles.

I might just have to try one of them pepper...... But after watching your video of them...im not so sure....

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

anyone like carrot cake? costco makes a pretty good (and huge) carrot cake, could bring one if requested... they also have regular vanilla/chocolate cakes that are equally as huge but I have not tried them personally...

Thumbs up Costo cakes are great!

Frank;

I'm planning to bring one of those cakes, but I was thinking about either the chocolate or vanilla. (Last time I brought the chocolate and it went over pretty well.)

If you want to bring a carrot cake, that would be cool, but you've got a much longer drive than I do (like 4 times longer)... Want me to just get two of those cakes? (Do you think we can eat it all in 2 days? They're 1/2 sheet cakes, after all...)

Adam

I figure 1 should be ok, not sure if we could kill 2 of them... although with 30 people... some of which may have the munchies for reasons not explained... maybe 2 would be good? lol

either way, let me know if there is anything I can bring

Thumbs up SEEDS??

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    I'm bringing some chilies if they are ripe by mid August. They are gonna be KILLER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smkwIaTltNU
    Hey YOU!
    Any luck with the seeds I shared? Our grow season is WEIRD this year. Also...new house..new soil, etc. I'm hoping for some to be ready by then as well.
    Fingers crossed on my Bhut Jolokias and White Habaneros.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystrys View Post
    Hey YOU!
    Any luck with the seeds I shared? Our grow season is WEIRD this year. Also...new house..new soil, etc. I'm hoping for some to be ready by then as well.
    Fingers crossed on my Bhut Jolokias and White Habaneros.
    Hey Mystrys!
    Unfortunately no... I think they stayed in my wallet a little too long and got sterilized. They just refused to germinate. I did get a second set of Jolokia seeds but I expected 3-6 weeks for germination like the package said but they germinated while I was away at FLEM and were all spindly by the time I got back. So, I decides to hold off until next season. My original plants, whatever the hell they are, are going great. Lots of peppers!

Cool

There was a post on Reddit yesterday about the Bhut Jolokia pepper. Here's what one guy had to say about his experience:
    In a moment of drunken idiocy, I swallowed a ghost pepper (bhut jolokia) last night, and while the immediate effects were at least manageable, my stomach is not agreeing with me at all this morning. Does anyone else have any experience with these? Is there any way I can get rid of this curdling sensation in my stomach? I've eaten all the bread and drank all the milk I can handle.

edit update: It's been about 12 hours since I originally had the pepper, and it's been pretty up and down the whole day (up is probably not the best word, manageable, I suppose). Obviously the bathroom experience has been hands down one of the worst times ever, drunk me didn't anticipate that. Thanks for advice so far, yogurt has been pretty helpful, the lotion was also a pretty good one.

For some backstory: I usually prefer a good mix of flavor and heat, but I can usually handle the top tier hot things at restaurants. One of my friend's had just bought some of these peppers, and without hesitation, I grabbed one and bit off the whole thing at once, chewed it three or four times and swallowed. At first I didn't really notice it, but after 5 or so seconds I got the hiccups like I've never had before. Like convulsions every 2 seconds, followed by insane sweat bullets and a burning sensation in my mouth unlike anything I've ever experienced, unquenchable by water, milk, or ice cream. Everything I put in my mouth felt like it was melting like being dropped in boiling water. This went on for about 15 minutes, constantly taking spoonfuls and gulps, at which point I actually felt manageable. Every burp would bring the spice back up, but that was about it.

Fast forward to this morning and what I thought was just some forgettable one time experience is clinging to me like a bad girlfriend. I'm still sweating in flashes, and every slightest eructation is accompanied by a fiery sensation that probably gives me a better impression of hell. Bathroom visits have become part of my half-hourly routine, which in themselves take up to 15 minutes. My other time is spent laying down, with a cool towel on my head. Lying in the shower looks to be in my close future. It's getting slowly better, but if anyone here ever thinks of eating one of these horrific beasts slap yourself for me.

final update: Well, I survived, but not happily. I ended up passing out around eight last night and sleeping until this morning, when I went to the bathroom and felt like a normal person again. All your comments made me laugh, I'd probably experience the same schadenfreude had I heard about someone else doing this, and will in the future, especially knowing where they're coming from now. Thanks Reddit! Your advice and humor were very much appreciated.
    After reading that, there's no damn way I'm eating one of these things. You guys are definitely crazy.

Link to original thread on reddit if you want to read the comments. Some of them are really funny, but they only serve to demonstrate why you should never, ever, eat one of these peppers.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    There was a post on Reddit yesterday about the Bhut Jolokia pepper. Here's what one guy had to say about his experience:

After reading that, there's no damn way I'm eating one of these things. You guys are definitely crazy.

Link to original thread on reddit if you want to read the comments. Some of them are really funny, but they only serve to demonstrate why you should never, ever, eat one of these peppers.

Adam
    You really do have to work up to it. Going from no spicy foods at all right to the hottest stuff in the world is ill advised. I've been eating spicy foods since I was a little kid, After my mouth gets past the burning sensation they don't bother my stomach at all. You also have to like spicy food. Some people just get a burning sensation and it's like.... "why the hell would you want that?" After a while you get over the burning and you really get to taste and appreciate the exotic flavors. It can be exhilarating!