Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2010 --Pa, what's for dinner?

Default Hot peppers and ice cream

Here In Texas they say after eating scotch bonnet /haberneros/or the like follow with a big bowl of ice cream....................then later in the bathroom you will
    be saying.....' COME ON ICE CREAM!!!!!'

old chefs trick in the kitchen-cut a sweet green bell pepper to look like a jalapeno/habernero -hold up the hot pepper and say you about to eat it. Switch as you put it in your mouth--take a bite of the bell pepper--then you make like it is burning you up--than say "Oh thats not so bad " and eat the rest of the bell pepper. My co=workers thought I was loco... the hot pepper never got eaten--just looked that way. I got a guy to down a hot pepper that way-after he thought he saw me eat one--Who es mas macho??

all this talk about spicy food's is making me crave indian food or maybe some Vietnamese or Thai... mmm Thai lol

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Hey folks.... being a caterer and, running a large banquet and conference facility, has it's advantages when it comes to food and paper products.

This is my first SELEM so, I don't know all the in's and out's and protocall but, I will be arriving late Saturday night and staying until the end of Casey's seminar. More than happy to bring whatever paper products are necessary - got 'em by the case in the back room. I certainly can bring food as well although it will need to survive a 7 hour car ride and storage overnight when I get there but, can bring along almost anything. I'm always up for hot and spicy as well as lovingly prepared pork products - the smokier the better.

Since this is a mini vacation, I know I'll be looking for some good food opportunities. It would be a bit of a hike on Sunday after SELEM (about an hour) but, Zambras in Asheville is without question worth every mile of the ride. Hell, I've considered flying there just for dinner on occasion. I've eaten in some fine, well known restaurants around the world and Zambras ranks up there among the best.

Counting down the days!
    ~Brad

Smile

Hi Brad;

Thanks for the offer, but I think we've got the paper products taken care of. Also, since we'll probably start eating before you get there, it's probably best if we have someone else bring the stuff we'll be eating off of! But no worries, we'll be sure to save you some!

Thanks for the info on the resteraunt in Asheville. That's only about an hour and 15 minutes by car from the venue. Hmmm....

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

O.K.,

Here is a link:

http://www.zambratapas.com/restaurant.html

In case anyone is interested.

If you miss this place before you die, you've done yourself a disservice and need to ask God for a chance to come back and try again again.

Just sayin.....

(Asheville in general is a food Mecca, not unlike New Orleans, Cinncinatti and Seattle but more of a well kept secret. Newton?? Not so much!) lol

I also plan on coming to SELEM (from Knoxville, TN) and second what you said about food in Asheville. I do a lot of sound work out there and always love trying new things there after the festivals are over. I really love Mala's Indian food in particular. Hell, even the big Chinese buffets there (Asiana) are out of control. Never tried the Tapas place, but I'd definitely be willing to check it out. Maybe Monday after the seminar winds down we can make it over there.

Quote Originally Posted by massivesound View Post
    I also plan on coming to SELEM (from Knoxville, TN)....

HEY - another Knoxvillian!!

I need to change jobs, stay put in Knoxville, and host TNLEM!!!

(Apologies for the thread detour.... )
    Last edited by Stuka; 08-05-2010 at 17:17.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

here is a list --PM me back ASAP if you want/can get any of these items-

We need by friday nite--

4 lbs block mild or sharp cheddar chez- you dont have to get all 4 lbs-no 'shredded chez' plz

two 'bundles/bunches' of green onions

any good kind BBQ sauce-IREEDZ is bringing some- we could use a little more.

#10 size cans of Ranch Beans( they are gallon size cans- we need 4 of those

5 or 6 large sweet yellow onions and 6 big jalos

course ground black pepper & salt

By Sat before 9 am

several lg things of Sour cream

one big pot for the taters- 4 gallon size--IREEDZ has that item covered--thanx

one 30 qt coleman/igloo ice chest- for the icechest taters--DOUG has this covered

one flipper style ice cream scooper- you will get it back

throw away big aluminum pans-4--IREEDZ/Doug has this covered

I am at the HIExpress under Len Henzel -cell nine79 709 959three

checking in around noon Friday

IMHO there needs to be a 'tip jar' to help Doug with the expense of a whole case of pork. He is cooking them all so i think that would only be fair.

This will be my first LEM- so if I am out of line with this post plz just let me know-

Totally off-topic but funny- a quote from Willie Nelson a rule from his golfcourse(Pedernales) scorecard....

'No bikinis, miniskirts, or skimpy see-through attire.

Except on women'

and one of my personal favs

No shirt- no shoes- no service

women-no shirt -free beer.
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 08-09-2010 at 10:11.

Smile

I agree that it would be nice to tip Doug for all the work he'll be doing to cook for us. However, he is getting some help with the cost of the food. We had enough in the budget this year to pay for a little over half the cost of the meat. That still leaves Doug on the hook for a lot of other things though, so I agree that it would be nice to have a tip jar for him.

The same thing goes for Steve Roberts. I'm sure he'll be working on several ion lasers in the backstage hallway this year, just like last year. So I think it's only fair that people tip him if he helps you get your laser working. (Thinking pizza or beer money here.)

Len;

What are you planning to cook up? And do you want Doug to bring that stuff, or are you asking someone else to bring it? Might be able to get one of the local folks to get some of that, if anyone wants to volunteer... (Worst case, it looks like most of it will be available at a grocery store.) Any takers?

Adam

Hey Y'all, and no, i'm not Paula Dean.

We will be bringing basic kitchen stuff needed:

Cutting board and knives
    prolly a few large SS bowls and serving spoons
    plenty of disposable aluminum pans (think-turkey roasters)
    2 coolers- one hot and one cold- but both will be full upon arrival
    Pretty sure we can bring a couple large stockpots.
    Lexel 95-4

Our jeep won't make the trip and the altima only holds so much.

We will most likely try to source wholesale buns in Newton before arrival, otherwise we'll bring them.

Buffo has taken care of half the meat out of the event funds, Thanks Adam. Luckly, I buy the meat wholesale case quantity.

Len: I think we should get some of the things you need once we get there (onions, g.onions, cheese, s cream, ect.... What do you think?

Mystrys is only making regular slaw this year. Sorry if anyone had their heart set on the "pool room" slaw, but very few spoke up.

THIS IS IMPORTANT FOLKS:

What time does everyone want to eat?

Buffo, pretty sure we'll need into the venue 8-9 on Sat. Myst and I are at the Trotthouse too, so we'll be close.