Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Driving 445nm diodes with Die4Drive

Default Solidering Hand as steady as a rock...in a bowl of jello !!!

NOW I know why I wanted to buy another driver..These components are completely tiny !!!....and a real PITA to work on. I removed D1.....under great magnification...the solder iron tip looks lika pointed silver log !!! Wooooo....but...of course it seems as though there are three (3) solder points under D1..... When I look at the schematic....looks like there are two D1's !!!!....and BOTH of these are packed into the very small black, bar shaped, original D1 component ?? Correct ??????....Well...OK...luckly I bought 2 new D1'S....I assume that I follow the schematic to install BOTH diodes where there was just a black bar B4....oh....and the center tab was covered by the component !!!...so....upon initial inspection...it looked as though D1 was ONLY connected to two tabs. Help please !!! I am sorry...perhaps this has all been covered B4....and is somewhere else on the forum ???

Anybody have any experience in what I am doing to recycle this kit...I hope I have not cocked it all up !!!...Under this magnification....my hand is not as steady as I thought....things are shaky...to say the least....Replacing R3 is a NoBrainer....but D1 is more of a challenge !!!

THANX !!! CDBEAM
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Default A Stranger...in a Strange Electronics Land...

Well...after some Internet searching...I know what an SOT 23 Small Signal Diode looks like !!! And yes....there are two diodes in a BAV99.....I went to the Electronics Shop...and requested a " BZX84C5V6 "....and received two (2) small diodes....NOT a SOT 23 black barlike part....OK...so I will follow the schematic...and insert the two seperate diodes where the BAV99 was....sounds logical to me !!!

But...I am a Stranger....in a Strange Electronic Land.....and I fear that everyday logic MAY not apply here.....and I am sure that there are many " Electronic Types" out there enjoying a good laugh at my " small steps "....but ya know....the real value in PL and this hobby is the satisfaction you get when you stretch....and learn something new.....and share that experience with other "Pilgrams on the Photon Path "...I learned that from Buffo....years ago....So....CDBEAM !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

That is right, just keep them oriented the right way!

Default Peregrinus Luminarium: Pilgrams of Light

Thanx D3...I was hoping for verification that I am traveling down the correct path....I will follow the schematic regarding orientation. CDBEAM

Default POOF !!!!!

Well...the concept of switching out D1 and R3 is easy....the actual solider job is a huge PITA !!!!.....I used a " Helping Hands" 6x magnification unit to see where I was going....but....like I said...the solider iron tip was huge compared to what I was working on !!...and I use a very small iron and tip. And the final modification ...was very ugly to look at !!!
    Well....It worked....for a while....then---POOF !!!--- went one of the trim pots....well...I think it was a trim pot....needless to say....the 445 output dropped to around 25mW for a very short time....then all output stopped.... !! I assume the diode is still OK
    I do not have any other drivers to experiment with !!! so.......ANYONE have an extra Flexmod N2 they would care to sell ???? If not....well then....I will have to wait until the P3 is out !!!! Thanx...CDBEAM

^^^^ Awww crap ^^^^
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Default Awww Awww Crap

Yea...Awww Crap sums it up Doc !!!

I likely was somehow to blame for causing the trim pot to go up !!! I will NEVER again attempt to do such a solder job on such a crazy small scale as this !!! I could see what I needed to do.....it was just almost impossible to manipulate the iron and component to the correct location and make a proper joint !!!
    I also bolted the CB so that the bottom side of the board would be in direct contact with the Aluminum Heat sink. This was so that Q1 could dissipate as much heat as possible. I used some tape to electrically isolate the other under side of the board.
    Well...either a botched solder job or some type of short caused by contact between CB and heat sink...one of the two caused the " Poof"...Live and learn !!! CDBEAM

Default " No User servicable parts inside"...DUH !!!

I have learned alot from p1t8ull concerning these D4D drivers !!! I screwed up....and only electrically insulated about 1/2 of the bottom of the CB......that is why it went " POOF"...even though my " mod " was very ugly indeed !!! Per Simon...the bottom of the driver needs a layer of thermal sheet between it and the heat sink....to electrically insulate and conduct heat away from Q1 !!

p1t8ull has very gererously agreed to repair/replace my drive...FREE !!!....I must find a way to repay him !!! PL is a Great place !!!!

I thought some of you may get a kick outa a pic of me as a boy experimenting with ELECTRONICS !! I know......the pic looks ALOT like Sid Phillips...from the movie " Toy Story"...you remember...the kid who tortured toys !!!.....mmmm ???? CDBEAM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CDBEAM as young boy.jpg  

Last edited by CDBEAM; 07-25-2010 at 19:35. Reason: added blah blah