Thread: Connecting the 445nm

Default Connecting the 445nm

Hello Peeps.

How about a detailed instruction for us with not so electric fingers.
    I for one has burned to many 405´s to feel safe connecting these new 445 to a FlexmodV2 directly.

I have bought some lasorbs, and think i have a good idea on how to connect it all.
    But then i just saw this post.
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11471

is that resistor only becouse of the red? or should there be a resistor there for the 445?

please someone with the propper knowledge explain or make a simple drawing here how these new 445 diodes should be connected.

flexmod -> lasorb? ->resistor? -> diode?

thank yuo.
    /Rick
    Last edited by rfourt; 06-15-2010 at 16:45.

The way I would do it if I were using a lasorb is to connect the lasorb directly to the diode pins, or as physically close to the diode as possible (perhaps shrink-wrapping it in-line from the Flexmod output if there's not enough room to attach it to the diode pins), then connect the ends of the Flexmod output wire to the diode. I haven't ever used a lasorb though, so after verifying that the Flexmod's currents are set properly I just connect the diode directly to the Flexmod.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Default here's my trick

300evil clued me in about soldering header pins on the flexmods. i took things a little farther and used laser diode sockets from thorlabs so i didn't have to solder directly to the diode.

it works like a champ to solder lasorb and wires to one side of the socket and plug the diode in the other.

http://www.thorlabs.us/NewGroupPage9...=302&pn=S7060R

here's a few thousand words..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-9.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	17724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-10.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	17730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-8.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	17726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-6.jpg 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	17727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-3.jpg 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	17728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-4.jpg 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	17729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-7.jpg 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	17731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	17733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	17732
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

(observing usual ESD precautions)

I pre solder the Lasorb to a small strip of Vero board, pre solder the feed wires (leaving the free ends shorted until driver connection.

Then I epoxy the board into position, when the epoxy has cured I solder the diode pins (a good hot iron is best, minimises heat duration).

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

I'm so glad you posted that pic Doc, your description of that setup previously was what prompted me to post my other thread last night. Just couldn't quite work out what you meant. So you junk the rear section of Aixiz housing then?

Hey C...

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    ...i took things a little farther and used laser diode sockets from thorlabs so i didn't have to solder directly to the diode.
    Nice! Good-call ... and I was 'intrigued' by the "SR9HB - ESD Protection and Strain Relief, Pin Style B, 7.5 V" - especially the "Customer Inspired" -part... ya think: 'Lasorb-Inside'??
    (or, maybe, 'Lasorbish-clone'??) that'd be really nice.. might be worth a call to the Thor-hotline.. ....but $45. ouch....

Then, again, last month, this much blue was $multi-K, so, I'll prolly just shuddup, now, about 45-measily-bux right?? ...especially if they do-prove to have an 'imbedded' Lasorb... truly, 'plug-n-play'...

..thanks for sharing...
    peace...
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 06-16-2010 at 02:10.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    So you junk the rear section of Aixiz housing then?
    Yes, the epoxied vero board serves as enough strain relief.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.