Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driver help please

Default Driver help please

Hello all! Great forum here!

I have been reading and searching for the past few days, and finally made the choice to Join.

A friend of mine got my attention when he showed me some laser related info on youtube. I am completely amazed that I hadn't heard how far lasers have come in the past 10 years or so, and the ability to build your own! I'm still sorta in shock.

I don't want to build anything dangerous as in a pointer or hand-held, but would like to make an RGV Spirograph and eventually a projector.

I have acquired all the needed parts as far as lasers, heat sinks, and mounts go. But am stuck on the driver.

My dad has a bit of electronics knowledge, but is uncertain of how I should go about things.

I would like to build a driver that can support the voltage and current requirements of all three laser modules. The biggest issue is a driver that can run all 3 diodes and have TTL blanking as optional.

Is there a simple diver that I can build that would cover this? I know there are drivers available and have read many posts about ones that can be purchased from dr lava. I would like to keep not only the cost down, but also have the bragging rights that I made it from scratch.

I am well aware of the dangers involved, and have also purchased proper eye protection. Both my father and I have little experience with circuits and design, so please be specific in response.

Thanks!

PS- I hope this is in the right section, it took me 20mins just to figure out how to post

If you want to build it yourself look at the Stan-ham driver. Everything you need to DIY, plus it's analog modulation.

Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    If you want to build it yourself look at the Stan-ham driver. Everything you need to DIY, plus it's analog modulation.

Thanks for the link, I was looking at that board but have a few questions.

1 What type of power supply has to be used with this?
    2 What function does the 'monitor' connection serve?
    3 Has anybody finished one of these and possibly have a few pics
    of how its hooked up? A visual reference may help me along.

Im going to try this one first, if there are any other types of 'DIY' drivers id appreciate any links.

You will need to use a regulated dc supply for a red diode (or green dpss) you can get away with 5V but to run a 445 or bluray you will need more like 9V or so.
    The montor connection serves to be able to measure diode current without the need to break into the series circuit with the potentail of killing the diode. This can be used while setting up and once the projector is built to make sure you are running as you should be.
    You should be able to work out the hookup from the circuit diagram - if you know about circuits it should be a doddle plus the overlay shows the connections.

Rob

ps note the links to my site in the stanham thread are wrong its actaully www.laser-wave.co.uk or www.stanwax laser.co.uk
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
    3 Has anybody finished one of these and possibly have a few pics
    I have one on a breadboard and it works just fine. Don't have any pics ATM though.

Smile

Welcome to PhotonLexicon, HalfPint. Glad you decided to join the forums.

Where are you located? You didn't fill out your profile info, so we don't know where you are.

The reason I ask is that if you're close to one of our members, it's likely that you could get some assistance with this new build. Also, there might be a Laser Enthusiast's Meeting coming up that you would be close enough to attend, and that would be a great way for you to pick up new ideas and information. (They're also a lot of fun!)

Adam

I think I will have to just leave my browser open to this page!! Thanks for all the responses so far.

In regard to my location, I keep stuff like that to myself. Where I live there are regulations like most in regard to lasers. Although I can appreciate the scenario that if stumped , a local member may lend a hand.

Im still trying to get all the parts in hand, possibly by Friday I will attempt to get one going. I have to pick up a breadboard, getting that tomorrow.

Another thing I neglected to ask, how much current can this driver produce without overheating?

I ask as I saw the thread about the 445nm diodes and may eventually give one a go.
    Will this driver handle such high currents?

Thanks again guys

-Ralph

In regard to my location, I keep stuff like that to myself.
    Pinty
    Nobody is gonna come and cart you off by just posting the country, after all they already know which planet you are on (Mind you I'm starting to believe I may have misjudged that one...) We dont need to know a grid refrence of you bedroom - get a grip & dont be so paranoid. Then I may answer your questions

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Cool

In regard to my location, I keep stuff like that to myself.
    Hi Ralph;

That is a mistake, in my opinion. No one is asking for your street address here. You can still maintain some anonymity without being paranoid. But posting your location (what country and what state or province is enough) will go a long way towards encouraging people to assist you. Note: We are a little distrusting of people who are paranoid-private.

If you want to be private and lurk, that's certainly your prerogative. But you'll get a lot more assistance if you're at least willing to tell people approximately where you are located.

Your call.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hi Ralph;

That is a mistake, in my opinion. No one is asking for your street address here. You can still maintain some anonymity without being paranoid. But posting your location (what country and what state or province is enough) will go a long way towards encouraging people to assist you. Note: We are a little distrusting of people who are paranoid-private.

If you want to be private and lurk, that's certainly your prerogative. But you'll get a lot more assistance if you're at least willing to tell people approximately where you are located.

Your call.

Adam

I live in Alberta Canada, but go to school in Toronto.

No offense intended, I recently had a close call with identity theft through facebook. Ive been very cautious since, and hate talking about it. Besides, I dont think any trouble I may have with this will require the assistance of an in person meeting. Pictures will be helpful, but if not im sure I can get this working.

Got my breadboard today! I'm going to be getting ready for some learning here. This will be by far more of a complicated thing than I thought, but im ready to try.

To test this circuit, is a digital multimeter good enough? I dont have access to many tools.

Wish me luck!

-Ralph