Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lasorb connection conundrum...

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Thanks Doc.

So I'm not going to be able to take 5V off of one of my Laserwave PSU's? I guess I'll have to take 24v off my scanner PSU and regulate it down. No space for another PSU in there....
    Running parallel is not bad in my opinion. I havn't lost a diode yet. The reason I went for parallel is to be able to run all my lasers on one 5V @ 22A PS. I would highly suggest not hooking to your galvo PS. The current draw will most likely create imbalance to your scanners.

But I thought I read on another thread that I'd need at least 7V into my flexmod to avoid voltage drop? I'll only be running one diode per driver

Oh, and by the way Mr Evil, what are the proper names for the 4 pin and 2 pin plugs on your flexmods? I've got some header pins I can add to the output holes, but I don't know what the correct name is for the others so I can search for them.

'4 pin white plug' doesn't quite cut it

edit: is it this stuff for the 4 pin one?
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...rderCode=RK65V
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1490

Actually, I don't think they are, the 0.1in is same size as the header on the output holes, which is different spacing to the power and mod ones
    Last edited by norty303; 06-16-2010 at 12:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Its a constant current driver, no need to worry about the diode voltage (so long as your supply voltage is at least diode voltage (4.4v) + 2v or so for the driver.

In other words: Say you are feeding the driver with 12v; you can short out the output and it will happily supply the set current in to the short circuit. It will supply this set current up to a forward voltage of around 10v (so you could run 2 diodes in series to more or less at full power whilst only loading the driver with 1A, then remove one diode from the circuit and nothing will change, the driver will still only push 1A through the single diode).

Hope that's clear .
    Not trying to hijack here...just looking for a better understanding as well

My plans are to feed the driver with a 12v/8A psu dedicated to 445nm only. Say I want to run a dual setup, is it better to run a parallel or series circuit for the diodes...or is it a matter of personal preference? I'm making the assumption that the stated psu is more than enough.
    Last edited by Synce; 06-16-2010 at 12:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Synce View Post
    Not trying to hijack here...just looking for a better understanding as well

My plans are to feed the driver with a 12v/8A psu dedicated to 445nm only. Say I want to run a dual setup, is it better to run a parallel or series circuit for the diodes...or is it a matter of personal preference? I'm making the assumption that the stated psu is more than enough.
    Given that you have 12v I would personally go for series and do away with the balance resistors.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Running parallel is not bad in my opinion. I havn't lost a diode yet. The reason I went for parallel is to be able to run all my lasers on one 5V @ 22A PS. I would highly suggest not hooking to your galvo PS. The current draw will most likely create imbalance to your scanners.
    I think he'll struggle with that: say 4.2v for the diode plus a couple of volts for the balance resistors plus the driver loss......
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I think he'll struggle with that: say 4.2v for the diode plus a couple of volts for the balance resistors plus the driver loss......
    Well, I'm going to give it a shot myself. It's not like I need 2W of 445 anyway.

So, do you think I'll get away with 5V from my Laserwave psu then for a single diode?

And the names of those plugs/headers please?

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    So, do you think I'll get away with 5V from my Laserwave psu then for a single diode?

And the names of those plugs/headers please?
    Shouldn't be a problem whatsoever. My guess is you'll obtain right around 1W max. Haven't received my diodes yet so I;ll have to see exactly what is obtainable.

The link you provided is basically the same header pins I use. For the 4 pin power in and mod header, you do have to bend the pins to make them work but looks and works good.

For the 4 pin power in and mod header, you do have to bend the pins to make them work but looks and works good
    Ah, so you cheated! I measured the holes and I was struggling to find a decent selection of 3.5mm pitch headers. That explains why! Thanks, I can just get them all from Maplin then.

Oh and I'm only looking for about 4-500mW from each diode, so I think about 6-800mA output per driver should do.