Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who want's to help design a real MONSTER?

I don't think it would be as hard as you feel it to be Pat.

With a PBS you're talking 12 spots that are being knife edge overlaid onto another 12 spots.

With the right lenses and some beam correction I'd say you'd end up with an overall beam size that is large, but not unworkable.
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

Quote Originally Posted by aijii View Post
    I don't think it would be as hard as you feel it to be Pat.

With a PBS you're talking 12 spots that are being knife edge overlaid onto another 12 spots.

With the right lenses and some beam correction I'd say you'd end up with an overall beam size that is large, but not unworkable.
    would the resultant beam be smaller than the blob from the light pipe? (i would guess not)

has anyone built a more than 8 on this forum other than arctos (or what ever their name is) It is all easy until you go and try it...isnt the old saying...if it were so easy...everybody would do it

I didnt say it couldnt be done, I was saying floyd wouldnt do it and I said if I did it i would do it differently than others would.

Hell, I would love to see ANY body do it

The race is on...someone build it
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

I think fiber coupling them all into one fiber would be sweet..
    Of course it would cost a fortune if you used real equipment to do it.
    beam shaping optics to fit as much as the light into each fiber you can,
    and joining the raw fiber ends together at the other end.
    then either collimate that, or launch them into a larger fiber and collimate.

That's been done before, right?
    someone try that real quick.

er, never mind.. You cant collimate a fiber without the beam being huge...
    and don't spellcheck the word collimate.. hmm..
    Last edited by CrazyMonkey; 06-16-2010 at 20:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    would the resultant beam be smaller than the blob from the light pipe? (i would guess not)

has anyone built a more than 8 on this forum other than arctos (or what ever their name is) It is all easy until you go and try it...isnt the old saying...if it were so easy...everybody would do it

I didnt say it couldnt be done, I was saying floyd wouldnt do it and I said if I did it i would do it differently than others would.

Hell, I would love to see ANY body do it

The race is on...someone build it
    I know what Floyd does, I went and visited him a couple years back and he had me driving his boat around while we were whale watching... That's when he told me that he had a way to combine 100 plus 50 watt yags together into 1 beam.... I have a call into him and I think he'll at least help me with the design... Anywho, i already have my own idea of how to make it all into about a nickel size beam... so the race is on!!! VROOM VROOM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slicklasers View Post
    I know what Floyd does, I went and visited him a couple years back and he had me driving his boat around while we were whale watching... That's when he told me that he had a way to combine 100 plus 50 watt yags together into 1 beam.... I have a call into him and I think he'll at least help me with the design... Anywho, i already have my own idea of how to make it all into about a nickel size beam... so the race is on!!! VROOM VROOM!!!
    lkiedokie I think the yag thing he was talking about was when we were working on the luxor "upgrade"
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

ok...back to the design.

are you going to use the current diode holder of 24 that is in the casio?

are you going to use the current stair stepper thing in the casio?

are you going to use the light pipe in the casio?

If yes...that is one design of its own...if no...

are you going to mount each diode separately in its own aixiz module with its own lens then mount 24 of those then mount 24 front surface mirrors for knife edge on 24 individual adjustable chad mounts or micromounts or similar?

what is your plan? Is there something I can do to help?

Just curious... has anybody used a thermal power meter and measured the output at the end of the lightpipe?
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

ok...back to the design.

are you going to use the current diode holder of 24 that is in the casio?

are you going to use the current stair stepper thing in the casio?

are you going to use the light pipe in the casio?

If yes...that is one design of its own...if no...

are you going to mount each diode separately in its own aixiz module with its own lens then mount 24 of those then mount 24 front surface mirrors for knife edge on 24 individual adjustable chad mounts or micromounts or similar?

what is your plan? Is there something I can do to help?

Just curious... has anybody used a thermal power meter and measured the output at the end of the lightpipe?
    My plan was to machine a copper block into a heatsink that will hold 12 diodes each and then probably use your new micromounts to knife edge them into a cube, then the same thing for the other 12 diodes with the polarity switched on the under side...

I wonder how many people are now planning on putting a huge 445nm laser together right now.. lol

I would be prepared to pay up to $1k for a turnkey 24W laser because:
    24x diodes/lenses + mirrors: $700
    $100 for Drivers
    $10 for TEC cooling
    $50 for materials
    $140 for someone to make, assemble, wire, align, tune and test it
    <pisstake=off>

Personally, there's no way on earth I would incorporate Aixiz modules on this scale of laser, getting alignment is hard enough without the variables they bring.
    It would be easier to make new diode holders from scratch than cludge the Casio ones into something useful IMHO.
    Temperature controlling the entire optical deck with that many high power diodes will will need careful thought as well, this will be quite a beast

no one said that, my point was to slickrick that he will not come out of retirement to do this project, he wears a sarapai and hangs out at his pool when he is not watching wales...he is not going to play with lasers. Nor would I if that was my lifestyle.

etendue
    wasnt having a pop sorry if thats how it came across

i was waiting for someone to mention them - arctos lol

knife edging straight into a cube would work but your best to knife edge into the telescope optics first then cube the smaller beams.

as has been mentioned by others who purchased a full casio projector heat it mega. how are you going to solve the heat problem?

with all the lens and optics you dont want to put fans in there as you will spend your life cleaning
    Last edited by andy_con; 06-17-2010 at 01:26.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

24 sided axicon anyone ?