Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who want's to help design a real MONSTER?

Default Who want's to help design a real MONSTER?

With the price of these diode's I want to build a Monster.... I plan to take all of the diodes and make a 20-24Watt 445nm "Big Blue"

If you want to help with the design or just keep up with the progress of this monster build, email me @ slicklasers@msn.com.

Quote Originally Posted by slicklasers View Post
    With the price of these diode's I want to build a Monster.... I plan to take all of the diodes and make a 20-24Watt 445nm "Big Blue"

If you want to help with the design or just keep up with the progress of this monster build, email me @ slicklasers@msn.com.
    got any plans on how you actually plan to di this?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Yes, I plan to "knife edge" them together onto a cube. I know I will get a large beam, but that is ok as I will use either Cambridge 6810's or 6850's with large mirrors and it's main use is going to be for beams. I have a setup that Laser Fantasy made about 10 years ago that used 12- 10mW red diodes, 6 on top and 6 on bottom into a cube and plan to use the same design, just going to use 24 instead of 12.... I have access to a 5 axis CNC so it can all be built out of a single piece of copper as a heat sink once it is drawn out in autocad... I'm gonna call Floyd and see if I can pull him out of retirement for a minute to help with this project....

Quote Originally Posted by slicklasers View Post
    Yes, I plan to "knife edge" them together onto a cube. I know I will get a large beam, but that is ok as I will use either Cambridge 6810's or 6850's with large mirrors and it's main use is going to be for beams. I have a setup that Laser Fantasy made about 10 years ago that used 12- 10mW red diodes, 6 on top and 6 on bottom into a cube and plan to use the same design, just going to use 24 instead of 12.... I have access to a 5 axis CNC so it can all be built out of a single piece of copper as a heat sink once it is drawn out in autocad... I'm gonna call Floyd and see if I can pull him out of retirement for a minute to help with this project....
    ok fair enough, what lens do you plan on use before the telescopic lens?

do you plan on correcting the beam at all?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

"I'm gonna call Floyd and see if I can pull him out of retirement for a minute to help with this project.... "

Yeah...good luck with that...
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

whos floyd ?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    whos floyd ?

he was founder of LFI, now in retirement on an island...to answer who is floyd, would take many beers for many hours. He could do it, but he wont. he is not that bored yet.

etendue!
    Last edited by Laserman532; 06-16-2010 at 09:21.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

This gives me a reason to hang on to that pair of Cambridge Scanners with the brobdingnagian 15mm mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    he was founder of LFI, now in retirement on an island...to answer who is floyd, would take many beers for many hours. He could do it, but he wont. he is not that bored yet.

etendue!
    hes not the only person who can build muti diode arrays
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    hes not the only person who can build muti diode arrays
    no one said that, my point was to slickrick that he will not come out of retirement to do this project, he wears a sarapai and hangs out at his pool when he is not watching wales...he is not going to play with lasers. Nor would I if that was my lifestyle.

I could build it, but no one would pay for it, you are basically stuck with the size of the beam that exits the lightpipe and how well you can collimate that blob into a round beam... I would attempt something which would include large diameter fiber cable...but that is just me. Any attempt to knife edge 24 beams would probably result in a bigger beam than what exits the light pipe. I have never seen one so I do not know for sure but I did engineer arc lamp DLP engines so I know basically what is optimal.

etendue
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay