Thread: Rosco Flamex C26 and Scrim for fire retardant

Default Rosco Flamex C26 and Scrim for fire retardant

Hey gang,

I had a questions about the use of RoscoFlamex 26 on Scrim for fire retardant.

Has anyone used this product to apply onto scrim and how do you apply it to get the best results?

They mention both soaking and or spraying it onto the fabric.

They state it may cause a greasy buildup if aplied to thick.

What is a good dilution for this product. They mention mixing solutions between 2:1 and 3:1, water/flamex.

What are your thought? I have heard of home maid ways for flame retardant but was given a full gallon of this from a friend that got out of theatrics.

Thanks for your in-site!
    Matt

Cool

Hiya Matt -

Quote Originally Posted by Mattatya View Post
    I had a questions about the use of RoscoFlamex 26 on Scrim for fire retardant.
    First, a question for you, Good Sir: please define "scrim"... I do see you used the word "fabric", so are you, indeed, talking 'theatrical scrim', ie: sharkstooth mesh scrim / other similar - OR -
    the 'PL-reknowned' "SkeetaSkrim" poly-mesh scrim? (This makes a difference in the reply)...

cheers...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Oh ya, lol I am going to be using it on white tulle purchased from JoAnn Fabrics.

hey Matt...

Oh ya, lol I am going to be using it on white tulle purchased from JoAnn Fabrics.
    Hmm, well, have to say, not much experience, myself, with 'tulle'... seen it / heard of it, but can't say I've tried to 'flameproof' it...

I guess a question, though: Why go thru the 'extra trouble' of trying to 'flameproof' this stuff, when the 'skeeta' gives such great results, indoors or out, for graphics, etc... (and since you're a member of the 'SkeetaSkrim Enthusiasts Group', I imagine you already 'get it'...

...Granted, while I don't know Skeeta can be said to-be "certified-flameproof", every Fire Marshall Bill that has requested of us to do a 'flame-test' (will the fabric 'self-extinguish' (flame-out) when removed from a flame-source (PASS)? - or - does it keep burning / stay-lit (FAIL)?... with the stuff, has 'passed-it'...

Not to say 'tulle' would not 'pass' - dunno - it's 'nylon vs polyester'...??? Both are gonna make 'stinky-smoke', etc, but just never flame-tested 'tulle'....

...Any 'tulle-flamers' out there?? (...Uhh, maybe I should 're-word' that...

I guess, you prolly just need to 'up-and try it' - follow Roscos' instructions, there, which it sounds-like you've found, and...give it a shot! Personally, I'd go for the 'dip-n-hang' method, vs 'brushing' or spraying.... Dilution? follow the Dirs and see what follows...

Thoughts?
    peace...
    j

I do plan on buying a good amount of SkeetaSkrim in the future but I have a gig coming up next week and wanted to buy something locally until I figure out when I want to make a big project out of using scrim.I'll just play around with it this weekend and experiment with the dilution ratioand see what I come up with. I was just curious if anyone had used this product before.

Yo Matt...

I was just curious if anyone had used this product before.
    Sorry couldn't be of more help... FWIW, David at Skeeta can usually whip you up a small scrim in a jiffy... I think the last time we got a 10' x 10', including sewing, pockets, etc, it was like $75.
    as a 'rush job'... He'll usually send you a good-sized 'sample' for far less ($25.-ish...) ...But it will be interesting to follow your 'tulle adventures' / learn something new...

Either way, based on sharkstooth-experience, I'd go with the 'soak (dunk) -n- hang' method... best way to ensure 'saturation'....

peace...
    j