Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: another 1watt 445 pointer for sale

blue will now be the most expensive color again
    Lets hope so! I'm sitting on a few 'spare' diodes, 'just in case', rainy day, etc

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Lets hope so! I'm sitting on a few 'spare' diodes, 'just in case', rainy day, etc
    You really want that to happen or you just bingw sarcastic, I am sure there are some people around here that wouldn't mind since apparantly there needs to be a cost of entry into this hobby

If you were being sarcastic then disregard lol

Quote Originally Posted by holokidd View Post
    ah yes correct! i see one in Orlando

the rep at the local store told me they were not getting any more in .......
    Thats funny when I called the store they had heard nothing from Casio.
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

Quote Originally Posted by Astroguy View Post
    Thats funny when I called the store they had heard nothing from Casio.
    I have a friend that work in a store here, they sell the Casio and have heard nothing else.
    They actually post new flyers tomorrow about the Casio being the World first projector that can live 20.000hours with never replacing the lamp !

No worry here...

Smile

Still available here in Charleston too. Though I have heard reports from other people that Best Buy is pulling them off the shelves in some markets.

But as someone else has already pointed out, even if they yank these projectors off the market throughout the US, someone with deep pockets could still get on a plane and fly to Europe, Canada, South America, or Asia and buy 10 of these projectors, take them back to their hotel room, harvest all 240 diodes, stick them in a bag, and then fly back home. When you're talking about volumes that large, the added cost of the airline ticket is trivial. You'd still have cheap diodes to sell.

Bottom line: the genie is out of the bottle for good. All we can do at this point is try to educate people on how to use these diodes safely and responsibly.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Bottom line: the genie is out of the bottle for good. All we can do at this point is try to educate people on how to use these diodes safely and responsibly.

Adam
    Nothing more to say about that :-)

They have one at a new Best Buy near me for sale. Do you guys think I should purchase one?
    - instinct

Quote Originally Posted by instinct View Post
    They have one at a new Best Buy near me for sale. Do you guys think I should purchase one?
    every best buy near me has them in stock, and my friend is a Casio reseller and hasn't heard anything about them discontinuing them...

I actually just ordered a bunch of them for work and didn't have an issue (20k hours for a permanently mounted projector is very, very nice)

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    every best buy near me has them in stock, and my friend is a Casio reseller and hasn't heard anything about them discontinuing them...

I actually just ordered a bunch of them for work and didn't have an issue (20k hours for a permanently mounted projector is very, very nice)
    Every Best Buy in the Phoenix area is out of stock with no ship date, and say the A130 is "discontinued". Apparently I got the last one in the city. MacMall is backordered with no ship date, and also say the A130 is "discontinued". CDW is out of stock and say it could be months, if ever. NextWarehouse is out of stock, no lead time. Staples here can't order the A130 or A140 anymore. I found a few in stock at Abe's of Maine and ordered four which I intend to part out. They had no word from their supplier on when they could get more.

Either these projectors are just extremely popular, or there is something weird happening in the supply chain.

Oh, BTW: 20k hours would be great, but Casio only guarantees the light source for 6000 hours. I'm not sure why there's such a discrepancy between the "rated" life and the warranty period!
    Last edited by mpoulton; 06-22-2010 at 12:49. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by instinct View Post
    It's a nice projector. I almost wish I weren't taking them apart! One of my geek friends bought one for home theater after I told him about it, and had to restrain himself from pulling lasers out of it :-) You might want the XJ-A240 though, since it is 16:9 and higher resolution for not too much more money.

Should you buy one to disassemble? Probably not, unless you need 16 lasers or more. It looks like the going rate for these diodes will be low enough that it's only worth buying your own projector to harvest if you need a whole bunch of them. [Disclosure: I'm selling diodes(mtptech on eBay).]