Thread: beginners very cheap RGB.

Default beginners very cheap RGB.

....well kind of . bought a phr-803t sled to use the 405 diode when i convert my tri160 and noticed there was a cube optic for passing blue and reflecting i/r and also a dichro i think .so got out a 405 pointer <5mw,532 <5mw pointer and the red laser from a laser one,think its also 5mw.just laying them on the desk,i had a go at combining the beams.had the blue and red through the cube and tried to reflect the green at 45'.at first only got the seperate beams but after a short while i got a shade of white plus cyan.see photos.i think the laser bug has bit me so the tri 160 is next and then we need to go bigger and better.

1st try

2nd try

3rd try.whitish and cyan plus multi green and red beams.
    waiting for the laughing and remarks lol

No Laughing Zamo - this is how many of us started - maybe with different lasers but doing the same experiments as you. My first white laser was an argon (blue) and a he-ne (red) - though it wasnt really white you could get an aproximation and I had hours of fun with it and a spirograph generator. We dont laugh at experiments - I think higher of experimenters and inventive minds than someone who just goes out and buys something ready made.
    You keep up with the experiments and keep showing us pictures - you will make huge steps in progress Im certain, in the mean time wee will eagerly await the next step. Just have fun.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Hey Zamo, that's really cool

As Rob says, keep experimenting. I've 'wasted' countless hours with low power red LED's (harvested from those silly little 'give away' pointers) and HeNe lasers in my very early days of messing with lasers. A small mirror glued to a speaker was about as good as it got . It's amazing how much you learn just by being inventive.

I'd like to get my hands on an extremely small RGB laser (size of a pack of cards) with an ILDA interface. It would be great to have one in my office for displaying graphics when i'm playing around on LD2000. Much better than the screen visualisations, guess i'll have to start 'inventing' again.

Keep going and keep posting pictures. Oh, and it's nice to see another UK member

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

i have always been into lasers and lights of any type.my first simulated was with a slide projector,pin hole slide with a blue jell and a speaker with a mirror on it .when i was 15 i built a HeNe with rotating mirrors which was from maplin.then got married,got a house and then kids so no money for lasers lol.one kid has just left school and the other not far behind so some spare cash to play with.i cant believe how cheap some of the lasers are now a days.i think the HeNe was £150 for the kit and then another £99 for the mirrors and controller.bought the kam tri 160 with dmx keypad last year for £120.Rob i will be in touch regarding converting the tri160,i'm after a mount and dichro.i have the 405 diode in a housing with a lens and can get quiet a narrow beam but alot of haze around it. not too fushed about quality as its only for in house use and not public viewing.with this in mind ,are the chinese 20k galvo kits worth getting? or would i be wasting my money? sorry for all the q's but if i dont ask i wont know.

Rock on , nearly everything we have today was at least partly invented by accident, by somebody messing about with something that interested them; if you have one of those minds then you have one of those minds.

When I was a kid my father's favourite statement to me was "you want to know the ins and outs of a ducks arse you do"

Some folks don't give a toss how or why things work so long as they do, others have to know how everything works.

EDIT:

Just be extra careful with 405, its lack of brightnes can lead you into a false sense of security; a Watt is a Watt whether you can see it or not.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

totally awesome!
    Hey can we see some pics of the setup in daylight?
    I built my first rgv setup just last year & it is all from parts I scrounged from dead equipment. the Blu ray i harvested from a blu-ray & mounted it,the red I harvested from a DVD burner & the green was a cosmetic reject.
    all put together with ingenuity, love & baling wire.
    keep inventing!
    Will there be three phase!!!!

[QUOTE=Vidal Wolf;151364]totally awesome!
    Hey can we see some pics of the setup in daylight?

lol are you sure ? i will try and set it up again but alinement was a nightmere.sticky tape and crossed fingers.

wow - you are so sophisticated using sticky tape - I used to use gravity, balance and blue tak! (plus heaps of good luck and swearing as it all moved/fell over!)

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk