Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Admin? 445 Forum

how about:

Idea 1)- A password protected thread. is this possible?? And then give the password out to only those members who PM admin (or a select group of *known* members) for that password. Then, solely at *THEIR* discression (how do you spell discression? lol) will that member gain access to the ***nm thread.

Idea 2)- Almost like the "Paid benefactors" thread. Pay to be able to read it. I think this would weed out the jack asses trying to figure out how to pop balloons or perform surgery on themselves. I would say even like $20 or something. I think 99% of the *serious* hobbyists here and/or professionals here would be more than happy to pay $20 or so to read the wealth of information in the ***nm thread. And the money would obviously go directly to Admin for PL support.

Exceptions would always be considered for a *known* member who perhaps couldnt afford the $20 entrance fee. I think it is very important for us as a mostly responsible group of pros and hobbyists support EACH OTHER with this new technology.

And if some newbie with 1-20 or whatever posts simply wants to just pay and get access to this thread, we simply deny them or get a *real* feel of what the person is trying to do.

Just my ideas.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

I sort of get where Steve is coming from, but on the other hand I personally think there should be a 'back room' that room should be protected from web crawls by a "/robots.txt" file and access should be by human approval, post count is worthless.

This forum has a lot of members, but we all know the regular contributors and posters amount to less than 50.

I am also aware that this site is self moderated but I am sure there wouldn't be too many complaints if there were several 'Marshals' that could grant access to sensitive info i.e. vag burners etc.

We all know Steve, Buffo and all of the other Adams, Marc, Stanwax etc and I would be more than happy if any or all of them were 'Marshals'

The 'induction' period for existing members wouldn't take that long to complete and 'real' new member signings are few and far between.

I am not talking about a childish 'rep point' scheme, I am talking about the fact that you don't give a new employee the keys to the safe; you need to get to know and trust them first.

Ian
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    If I was a new member and interested in those cool 445 nm diodes for burning stuff, I'd just spam the crap out of this forum and get those 100 posts in five minutes.
    Or use any search engine and get it in 5 seconds from a place where they don’t care about safety at all.

Some users provide more valuable information to the community in one single post and others only kiss @ss

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    how about:

Idea 1)- A password protected thread. is this possible?? And then give the password out to only those members who PM admin (or a select group of *known* members) for that password. Then, solely at *THEIR* discression (how do you spell discression? lol) will that member gain access to the ***nm thread.

Idea 2)- Almost like the "Paid benefactors" thread. Pay to be able to read it. I think this would weed out the jack asses trying to figure out how to pop balloons or perform surgery on themselves. I would say even like $20 or something. I think 99% of the *serious* hobbyists here and/or professionals here would be more than happy to pay $20 or so to read the wealth of information in the ***nm thread. And the money would obviously go directly to Admin for PL support.

Exceptions would always be considered for a *known* member who perhaps couldnt afford the $20 entrance fee. I think it is very important for us as a mostly responsible group of pros and hobbyists support EACH OTHER with this new technology.

And if some newbie with 1-20 or whatever posts simply wants to just pay and get access to this thread, we simply deny them or get a *real* feel of what the person is trying to do.

Just my ideas.

-Marc

i think an option of both 1 & 2 toghether would be the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    I think its a good idea to block anyone before 100 post. That way new members have no access

Good idea MCcarrot
    yeah brilliant

For the short term why not take the discussions to a newsgroup or google group existing or make a new one. I am assuming it was remove more for liabilty reasons here than anything else.
    leading in trailing technology

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Now the idea of Marc is an idea I don't like. If I had to pay all licenses I should pay, or donate some money to all websites I like and which I have benefited from, I would be in debt.

You just favor those rich spoiled kids who want to burn ball00ns with their new L4z0r. Also, you would exclude the new members who do have some experience with lasers. It would be very hard to conclude whose intentions are honourable, and whose are to burn as much retinas as possible.

edit: wow, five new posts while I was typing.
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 06-18-2010 at 07:46. Reason: This topic goes too fast!

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    I think its a good idea to block anyone before 100 post. That way new members have no access

Good idea MCcarrot
    I said to certain topics, with that I mean only topics with delicate information.

Not to be rude or anything, but how about we just chill Out for a little bit like Admin and Jon asked? Is there a serious Need to discuss said stuff right now? Why don't you take a break and finish your projects involving said stuff...
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Default ...50....

I mis counted!....
    *whew* I made it to 50!...

A locked & *maybe moderated* forum for users that have been on PL for more than a year? six months? four months? something temporary.
    theres quite a few people on here that have the "new rage" & would want to have access to others for discussion. IMHO it would not be too productive to shut down all info.
    what about access given to the forum users that have made buys from the sellers here?
    this is a real forest fire going on out there.
    these are my random thoughts , and only thoughts.
    ~Nate
    Will there be three phase!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Wolf View Post
    I mis counted!....
    *whew* I made it to 50!...
    welcome to the 50 club, glad you made it