Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Admin? 445 Forum

Default The Ten Commandments !!!

WOW…Adam….think about it…what a perfect marketing scam !!! Get the pointer crowd worked up in a frenzy…..Price and power wise…..To the point where the “ I just gotta have it “ emotion kicks in…..then jack the price up to a grand due to “technical difficulties”… to cull out the idiots….and ride a huge wave of FREE publicity.
    So, ….of course, they can promise 1W @ continuous duty….with great optical specs….at a crazy low price….and have all this available at the same time the diodes arrive !!!!! Terrawatt sez….mmmm….” Go Back….It’s Just a Blue Job “ hahaha

CDBEAM

Norty....The movie " The Ten Commandments"

OH.....The Janitor WILL figure this mess out....how'bout an Off Shore site to bulkhead against possible litigation....named..." Jamica Blue Laser "....think about it...haha
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 06-18-2010 at 11:34.
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Actually I just realised it was nothing so 'high brow' as that movie, it was the Harry Potter spoof in the online comic Sluggy Freelance....

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    WOW…Adam….think about it…what a perfect marketing scam !!! Get the pointer crowd worked up in a frenzy…..Price and power wise…..To the point where the “ I just gotta have it “ emotion kicks in…..then jack the price up to a grand due to “technical difficulties”… to cull out the idiots….and ride a huge wave of FREE publicity.
    So, ….of course, they can promise 1W @ continuous duty….with great optical specs….at a crazy low price….and have all this available at the same time the diodes arrive !!!!! Terrawatt sez….mmmm….” Go Back….It’s Just a Blue Job “ hahaha

CDBEAM

Norty....The movie " The Ten Commandments"

OH.....The Janitor WILL figure this mess out....how'bout an Off Shore site to bulkhead against possible litigation....named..." Jamica Blue Laser "....think about it...haha
    you just explained how the US military industrial complex operates.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    PPRUNE has a Newbie flag. Its says "I'm New Here" with a smiley holding up a flag.

Lets see what happens a bit first.

Steve
    PPRUNE is a good forum I read a lot these as it is relevent to my employment.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

quote:

Despite the above, according to most suggestions here so far, I would be locked out of accessing the restricted forum.

Cheers,

Pete[/QUOTE]

No, PL is very much a democracy run under the guise of a benelovent dictatorship. If you would have sent me a email stating the above, were I a mod, you'd be very much nominated. I think DAY JOB TECH SKILLS, unless you work for a "evil" or "Threat" organization, pretty much is a qualifier. I'm not going to exclude some one who is mature and manhandles a 4000 watt co2 all day, or drives a femtosecond system for spectroscopy at a university, for examples. In fact, if your under the supervision of a LSO, or are the LSO, it would be very dumb to exclude you.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Lightbulb Real-quick thought...

Sorry... moved this here: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...469#post151469 ..where it belongs...
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 06-18-2010 at 14:34. Reason: moved...
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I want to chime in definitely AGAINST any form of "rep" system here, or access due to post count alone. Both are sophomoric in my opinion, inaccurately exclusionary, and lead to the kind of power-drunk bullying that characterizes LPF (but really only caused by a childishly belligerent few there).

Quote Originally Posted by robert hess View Post
    I want to chime in definitely AGAINST any form of "rep" system here, or access due to post count alone. Both are sophomoric in my opinion, inaccurately exclusionary, and lead to the kind of power-drunk bullying that characterizes LPF (but really only caused by a childishly belligerent few there).
    Well said. I left LPF for those reasons. I came here looking for info on how to construct a projector from mature intellegent folks. I hope the forum continues to provide me with such. In turn I hope that someday i'm able to provide someone with information that I learned here. I never was to impressd with popping tape and cutting ballons.
    Chuck

I am glad that this idea is being discussed openly and in that spirit:

When you get right down to the gearworks for the idea of a private sub-forum, It's my call because I would have to deal with any potential nonsense that comes out of it.

While the idea of a private forum is desirable for certain topics like Laserscopes and other sensitive information the "purpose" of the forum as described and interpreted is "information for all". This is severely curtailed in this regard. At that point the forum is a high tech version of passing notes in class. Just a notebook that is of no interest to those who don't have access.

This does not even go into the logistics of who decides who gets access and who decides who gets to decide who gets access.

There is no good way to determine access. There isn't even a good one.

Post counts are arbitrary and prove nothing other than the person can use a keyboard.

Reputation classing, much less the embedded vbulletin system is so mind-bogglingly retarded I can't even manage to come up with analogy for it. Abuse of this "feature" is doable with only a few friends and a dozen or so posts to apply "rep points" or whatever they are called to. Conversely it is just as easy to destroy "rep" with the same tiny group of people.

Paying for access is just plain stupid and only proves the now trusted person has a paypal account with a token amount of money in it. Money doesn't mean brains. I'm sure we can all think of a few forum members here that are perfect examples of this.

The "vouch for" system works until a brilliant fellow who is not connected to the "trust chain" shows up and can't get anyone to vouch for him. The most recent example of this in in this very thread: ogoun. Futhermore: Who the hell gets to decide who is trusted and what implications does that carry? Part of the magic that exists here at PL is that all users are equal. There are no moderators floating around, much less ones that would enforce their personal opinions or personal ethical considerations on others by removing/nuking/editing posts. A level playing field removes 99% of the shit that can arise out of that and has the added benefit of confirming that people can say/post what they want and not have to worry about it.

Right now the idea of a "ultra-super-sekeritificationized-sub-forum-for-secret-info" thing is very much just chat at this point. Ideas are being tossed around and continually refined, as should be expected of a vibrant and live board.

Now, take my last statement a step further into the future. Creating a forum like that would revoke the discussion that went into creating it. Put that way, it would be terribly counterproductive to the whole and somewhat beneficial for the few that are involved.

If, and this is a big "if" you *could* drive a bus through, said forum is ever created the existence of it would be public and any information not considered a public safety hazard *should* be moved to the public board. And again by the same token, who the hell am I to determine what is a public safety hazard? To borrow an analogy - "that is way above my pay grade" and far smarter people than I would have to be involved.

To reiterate - If said sub-forum is ever created there will be no arbitrary trust system to use who gets access like post counts, money, who-knows-who... etc.

The long and short of it is there is really no good system out there for ascertaining, determining the system used and moderating/controlling the data there in and given that: It's all just chat at this point. I have not made even the first cursory steps with regards of creating a system like this much less implementing it. I have talked to a couple people privately and asked their opinions on how they think it should be handled but thats as far as it has gone.

Default What happened

Can someone explain why the 445 topic was removed for a few days, and why its back?