Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Admin? 445 Forum

Default Admin? the coloar Forum

post................
    Last edited by rfourt; 06-18-2010 at 05:52.

I don't think they are gone, just on hold for a little while.

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

The huge downtime today could have been backing up the forum so they could be restored later on ...
    Last edited by Things; 06-18-2010 at 05:42.

It appears that Spec is acting in the best interests of both the forum and the safety of the general public.

Adam

I think the header says it all

Exigent Circumstances Last Post
    Due to a potentially hazardous situation and the possibility of litigation it was decided that rendering the 445nM forum inoperable is in the best interests of the community at large and for the safety of all participants here at PL and the public. The situation is getting increasingly complicated and for that I apologize.
    Public safety comes first. And while I loathe the idea of destroying a forum, it really is the best option available until more information becomes available.

Once things settle down im sure a lot of the tech info will be back but for the moment until what looks like legal matters are sorted im sure we all just have to be patient

paul
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    I think the header says it all

Exigent Circumstances Last Post
    Due to a potentially hazardous situation and the possibility of litigation it was decided that rendering the 445nM forum inoperable is in the best interests of the community at large and for the safety of all participants here at PL and the public. The situation is getting increasingly complicated and for that I apologize.
    Public safety comes first. And while I loathe the idea of destroying a forum, it really is the best option available until more information becomes available.

Once things settle down im sure a lot of the tech info will be back but for the moment until what looks like legal matters are sorted im sure we all just have to be patient

paul
    nice.. i didnt mean to be rude or anything just hoping the info is not deleted, although i understand with all these new Kiddo-LPFérs signing up here trying to point there pointers somewhere dangerous.

Has there been some kind of tip off, or hint there may be trouble?

Could it be made available only to long term members? Say 1 year of 500 posts or something.

I *will* discuss this in greater detail when I am able to. Until then, please be patient.

Last night was a very very very long night. I did not sleep. After I get what will very likely be a short nap I will end up on the phone for a while.

Once again, please be patient while all this is being sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I *will* discuss this in greater detail when I am able to. Until then, please be patient.

Last night was a very very very long night. I did not sleep. After I get what will very likely be a short nap I will end up on the phone for a while.

Once again, please be patient while all this is being sorted out.

Is it ok to cross post some of the more generic questions regarding diode module builds in other forums?

I 'think' I had some stuff in there that was going to be useful to me this weekend, e.g. about drivers and lasorbs, etc

Lightbulb Some Humble Suggestions

Hey Kats -

Couple comments, then some (humble) suggestions, wholly-based IMO... (which means, feel-free to put it directly in the 'bird-cage as pan-liner', should you see-fit...

1. Certainly no 'secret' that we, as a responsible community of laser-enthusiasts, some 'Pro', some strictly 'hobbiest', have been 'thrilled' about the recent 'breakthru' in affordable (a certain color) However, there are others, in this world, who are *not* too keen on these 'recent developments' which we've all been 'thriving' on... Said-entities *don't* see this as a 'boon', but rather, a 'bane' -
    too bad for them, but, in order to 'ensure' that those 'stick-wavers' don't 'wreck our Piñata', long-term, it would-seem prudent to 'cool things down' for a bit...

Think of it like when you see 'storm clouds off in the distance' - sure, you have every right to run right out and run thru the field flying your 'new kite' as high as you can take it - but - if you get 'caught-up in the storm'....well, ya might not end up with your 'cool new kite' for very long.... Sometimes, it is, in fact, best to 'stay indoors' for a bit, so you CAN 'go out and play another day', dig?

2. I think it's also no 'secret' that ONE 'entity', in-particular, has REALLY 'exacerbated' (...that means 'aggravate', ok, 'Beevis'?? the whole situation, and, for that, *most* of us out there, are *REALLY* irritated / disgusted by this 'entitys' total-lack of good-judgement and 'higher' / long-term thinking on this all and the potential 'consequences' of their 'short-term gain' actions... this 'entity' has appeared to become 'insanely greedy' and desirous to grab whatever $$ they could out of this 'recent development', at any / all-costs, even ignoring the possibility of their own demise, as a result...

THAT-SAID... (and remember, this is all based IMO...) - do you *really* wanna be 'out in that open field' when the lightning comes? Especially when - unlike random lightning - those vigourously OPPOSED to 'this-all', will likely bring such 'lightning' against "said-exacerbators" ...with purpose... and, rediculous-amounts of lawyers...

'Baseless' or not, any legal-wrangling can be a MAJOR PITA in ones' life...(even if simply to prove your 100% innocence, in a matter). Granted, nothing has been officially stated about ANY LEGAL actions, etc related to PL... yes, those 'storm-clouds' a 'brewin may or may-not 'generate lightning'... but ain't it better to 'find out' from the safety of 'watching from the window' vs finding out via 1,000,000 V going thru your spine?

Point-is, SOMETIMES, it is truly best to 'curb' your own rights / freedoms - - so you CAN excersize them, another day...

...So, some (humble) suggestions:

Quote Originally Posted by rfourt View Post
    post................
    REMOVE any and all numerical-references to a certain wavelength. (including maybe editing the title of this *coughTHREADcough*cough*... ...I don't think is is possible for search-engines to hit on 'colored text', am I right? But 'words and numbers', obviously... EDIT: I'd also *suggest* canning any / all references to a CERTAIN MANUFACTURER / PRODUCT, by-name...

Quote Originally Posted by QUAZAR View Post
    Has there been some kind of... or hint there may be...
    ..Umm, I'd say 'verbalizing' (in-print) such ideas is probably not a 'wise' thing... Really, I think it should-be 'business as usual' around PL.... it would not seem to be 'beneficial' if there were suddenly massive amounts of 'searchable suggestions' / calls-for 'stuffing PL in the shredder' - we've DONE NOTHING 'WRONG' is discussing our discoveries / ideas... but again, 'guilt by association' - however baseless - can be a REAL PITA... And I, for one, do-hope they turn a certain 'poin-- Co's * into a 'windsock'... but 'we' don't want anything to do with that, if they-do...

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Is it ok to cross post some of the more generic questions regarding diode module builds in other forums?
    Again, I would venture the *opinion* that it would probably be best to just flat-out 'lay off the color' for awhile...

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I 'think' I had some stuff in there that was going to be useful to me this weekend, e.g. about drivers and lasorbs, etc
    Sir Norty, if you have not-yet 'discovered' the "IRC Live Chat" feature, here, yet - it's great, man!

Can get a bit 'crowded' / chattery sometimes, but you can actually 'engage' another member in a sort of 'private, instant-PM-style' chat, so there is less 'chatter' and more focus on asking those 'in the know', the info you need...

I don't think 'we', as a community need to STOP discussing / sharing all this / helping each other out - THAT would be 'Tea Party-time'... but.. perhaps we just need to all continue the conversations 'inside the house' for awhile, and let 'the storm pass' - whatever it may (or may-not) prove-to be... Make 'sense'?

Again, I hereby disclaim all this as merely *IMO*, and Sir Janitor, I humbly 'bow to your broom'; If I am 'out of line', here, I will happily 'keep my opinion to myself', should you suggest...

Just tryin to be helpful...
    Long Live The Unmentionable Color, and Long Live PL!!!

peace, out...
    j

PS - sorry about all the 'obnoxious punctuation'...
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 06-18-2010 at 05:50.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...