Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we class PL members as "trusted members"

Quote Originally Posted by Mattatya View Post

I also think that if anyone has a variance and a approved laser to run a show they have taken the steps to prove their wallets are empty and are in for the long haul.
    I think if you have a variance that should count for a Trusted member.....

Quote Originally Posted by slicklasers View Post
    I think if you have a variance that should count for a Trusted member.....
    I would say absolutely...but a variance should not be required for TMS (trusted member status)
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Plenty of good arguments against but not many for.

I posted this in another thread, but it fits here as well:

Now, while I agree that the risk is real and significant, and that these lasers used in a portable setup are pointless and highly dangerous, the biggest casualty of this will be that any blanket action taken by any of the people involved in this will very likely adversely affect our (many hobbyists and some pros) ability to use these diodes as well.. The part that makes me feel all weird inside is that this is all speculation at this point. Any actions that have been taken and will be taken are based solely on speculation. I never like to hear about people freaking out, taking action and causing a ruckus all over mere speculation.. even if the danger is real. I'm speaking about the people who freaked out and went off and told every authority they could about this in the interest of blocking public access based on their speculation about the potential danger. I'm not talking about Casio's lawyers. It's better, IMO, to wait until a real problem presents itself in cases like this before freaking out and demanding action. Statistically, when talking about dangerous handheld devices (or dangerous devices in general) the people who use them irresponsibly are a small minority. In US law, this small minority is almost never enough to justify blanket action. This is no different.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Guys I really don't want to go down the secret society route. I've been up against those guys and I don't like it. I prefer a more civilized approach, and I do not want to go this way either: http://laserguild.com/home.htm

The closed forum requires nomination and a few phone calls to some one, ie we talk to you and prescreen you. We then need to see some small amount of artwork or hardware.

Set this up so your joining a professional society, like the Canadian Teachers Union. Canada's Manitoba Teachers union is model. They recruit future teachers, act as the ethics board,set the standards, and mentor beginning teachers. They usually end up working with the school district, instead of butting heads.

And like the local model airplane society, we want to see your ability to fly , respect others, and make sure your not sharing the same radio channel with another flyer.

Or the kennel club, you don't just get to walk into the ring, even if you own a purebred,you have to show some token knowledge and work your way up.
    But I sure as hell do not want to be a member of some cliquey, snobby, guild either.

I sense a need for phone calls and paperwork, and some way of verification of whom you claim to be.

Something like that where some discipline is required.

And I don't want to lock out the non professionals.

I don't know what to do about the "appliance operators".

Sadly, the situation possibly forces this upon us.

*****len is good reason why this is needed, and recently he has shown serious signs of reform, like starting to meet the terms set forth by others.

I'd like to hear what the 'lectronic freedom frontier/foundation folks have to say on this.

Also I do like the idea of the "magical" electrical and rigging sections.

One thing I DO NOT like is the idea of having to read 3-4 sections, just "advanced technical discussion" and "lasers" can take me 20 minutes in the morning and evening. Not to mention the lounge.

Besides, I don't trust Pat with dielectric mirror trowel. He might cut himself.

Steve
    So you're saying only ILDA members should have access? We already have a professional society. I just don't feel that it's up to anyone here to make these kinds of decisions for everyone except perhaps admin. It was the "policing the world whether it wants/needs it or not" actions of members here on PL that I believe are the reason Casio is now threatening legal action.

Also, it's SPECULATION that you're saying forces these changes on us. There are 0 cases of injury of ANY kind from these diodes to date. Speculation forces nothing, and blanket action based on speculation is not good IMO.

I really don't like ANY idea that can and will create an "old boy's club" so to speak. I've been under the impression that I've seen such things in action here in the past.. perhaps wrongly.. and I voiced my feelings on it then as well. ALL of the ideas you speak of Steve will have that result, like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    I disagree with the concept of 'trusted members'.. it would probably just lead to a rift. Plus, if someone wants to infiltrate, they can and will. A user agreement/liability disclaimer for forum membership might be more appropriate
    I beleive this is actually the only way to go. A nice disclaimer telling ppl that signs up that the forum nor the Admin or information being given in this forum may be held responsible for your own actions etc etc.

Then an area where only trusted members may go is perhaps also a nice idea, but for the main information/forum i believe a well written disclaimer would do it ..

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by rfourt View Post
    I beleive this is actually the only way to go. A nice disclaimer telling ppl that signs up that the forum nor the Admin or information being given in this forum may be held responsible for your own actions etc etc.

Then an area where only trusted members may go is perhaps also a nice idea, but for the main information about this particular color i believe a well written disclaimer would do it to be protected against any big laywers..
    That is highly debatable, as lawyers "tweek" the laws as they go. Law is a living thing in some ways, and it "evolves". I'm not saying legal evolution is always a good thing, but law is the "art of the possible", and often debated/tested at great expense.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    That is highly debatable, as lawyers "tweek" the laws as they go. Law is a living thing in some ways, and it "evolves". I'm not saying legal evolution is always a good thing, but law is the "art of the possible", and often debated/tested at great expense.

lets start a church - Church of the Light of the World or something like that and get non profit status and we can donate a portion of the proceeds to help people in Africa so we could flop the guilt trip on them for suing someone who helps children.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    if you read between the lines, there is a wealth of knowledge in my post. The European community have pretty much sacrificed their freedoms and liberty and sovereignty and for that live under constant surveillance under the guise of a free society. I for one don't play that game.

I respect and support admin to allow or censure anything related to PL, it is his property, it is his right and I would defend his rights to him having total control of his property.

However, we have freedom of the press, freedom of religion, and right to bear arms granted to us by our constitution. If a forum can be strong armed or controlled via threats when nothing illegal is being done we have already succumbed to a dictatorship. The interest of public safety dosn't wash with me...if that were the case, ban automobiles.

Information is free and should remain so. If the information dosnt appear on this forum, it will on others. If the internet can become controlled, you might as well get in line at the slaughter house because you are nothing and only the people who have power, will have power.

"trusted member"??? I have seen trusted members shoot dangerous levels of laser radiation into a crowded dance floor. Im all for control...as long as I am the controller.

Do you want to live on a Prison Planet? http://www.prisonplanet.com/new-bill...-internet.html

Homie don't play dat shit.

AMEN!
    and fifteen chars
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

. 'lectrofreak said:

Quote:

So you're saying only ILDA members should have access?

End Quote

Where Did I mention ILDA?
    BTW, I'm not a ILDA member right now, myself. Budget reasons.

Steve.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

just thinking out loud here.............

hmmm.... who is responsible , if i were to walk in to a chevy dealer, and walk away with a 500+ hp ZR1 corvette, go out on public highway, hit 150 mph, and cause a major, fatal collision ?

1. is it the manufacters fault for building such a "beast" ?
    2. or is it my fault for breaking the speed limit laws ?

my .02

(p.s. i choose #2)
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine