Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we class PL members as "trusted members"

Default How do we class PL members as "trusted members"

guy please help admin determine how we should class members on PL as a "trusted member"

This will be difficult and ive no doubt will upset people.

This is my view only but a trusted member is someone who has been on the forum for at least 6 months or a year, regularly posts, has been to laser meets or met other forum members.

I don’t think just a post count of x makes a person a trusted member.

whats everyone elses view on what a trusted member?
    Last edited by andy_con; 06-18-2010 at 08:22.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I think that has to be a judgement call by established and respected member/members.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I think that has to be a judgement call by established and respected member/members.
    so your not a established or respected member and dont have a view?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    so your not a established or respected member and dont have a view?
    i suggest a dictatorship...as long as I am the dictator...GW Bush
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

i was kind of after serious views from people here as this really will help me/admin
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Your points sure are good to filter members that already are active here but what about new users? Should they first go to a meeting?

Maybe its an idea to have an introduction section where new users could tell something about themselves and show some of his/hers projects. Also if someone works for a company active in the laser industry then they should be considered a trusted member. Of course it will create a lot of extra work for the admin/moderator.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

At least a triumvirate.
    Take the load of Spec.

And a non-disclosure agreement, its too easy to cut and paste into in the non-secure area.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Online user reputation is a significant area of study these days. Andy, the factors you mentioned below are good. Additionally the reputation of people in user's network is an important factor.

It looks like VBulletin might have some stuff built in but I don't know anything about it or how well it suits PL's needs.
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/vboptions_reputation

Mike

It sounds to me a bit like an old boys club, and having been here before, can say it only leads to gaping divides in the membership of the forum, creating resentment, arguments, sabotage, etc (ok, so no real change...)

It also places a requirement on 'someone' to manage it ongoing, and deal with the barrage of people PMing and petitioning.

All in all, it'll just control this forum, so people will go elsewhere for it.

Can you tell I'm not in favour...?

Mind you, with all the 'trusted' members in one place, perhaps the regular members will have to read less 'spouting' from the veterans....

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Isn't it a bit too early for this kind of conversation? Maybe the Admin is working on a solution and is this not needed after all.

I think restricting members on a base of post counts or amount of time they spent here isn't a good idea, because experienced people have to join this forum some day and I'm sure there are a lot of experienced people left to join.

A payment method isn't a good idea. Then you just make a distinction between rich and poor members, not between experienced and unexperienced ones.

Letting people talk about theirselves is probably the best solution, but I don't think our beloved Janitor can handle all the extra work - he is already spending days and nights trying to keep this forum up.