Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Flying" LT-1000 Case

Default "Flying" LT-1000 Case

I just "finished" my RGB in a LT-1000 case but Im running into the problem of how to hang it from truss. It DEFINITELY needs to be supported from the bottom of the case and thats where im running into problems....
    I had thought of 2 possible solutions but want to hear what yall have to say.

The case is 30in x 20in x 12in and around 80 pounds

this was the first thing I thought of but is kinda expensive....

then I thought these may work also.

So what do yall think? How would you hang this case?

Thanks,
    -Brooks
    Last edited by KGB; 06-18-2010 at 13:20.

Lightbulb

If it is half as heavy as my LT-1000 clone, I would keep it on the ground. Mine is HEAVY though.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

I have an LT1000 and hang it from truss all the time.
    The rigging mounts supplied with the case from OSLS are more than up to the task. If you're not sure about it, double check with OSLS for their take on the weight limit.
    Make sure you connect the mounts to a rated clamp like a "Mega Clamp" or other heavy duty clamp. With 2 mounts, your asking each mount to take on a 40 lb load, it should be no big deal.

Lightbulb

Hi Brooks -

Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
    I just "finished" my RGB in a OSLS LT-1000 case but Im running into the problem of how to hang it from truss. It DEFINITELY needs to be supported from the bottom of the case....So what do yall think? How would you hang this case?
    Real-quick (sorry, I don't have a lot of time right now....)

Simplest-way (from top):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LT1K_hung1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	17793

Simple, good-way, if you want to be able to 'rotate' the entire proj, 'more' than the clamp-tolerance, alone, will-permit:

Name:	LT1K_Rotatable.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	17794

...and in any-case (I'm sure you know this.. at LEAST 2, good heavy-duty eye-bolts / nuts (5/16" min; 3/8" better...) with min. 2 'Safeties', ie:

Name:	ConeScan3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	17795

... for 'base support' I'd make up two 3/8" > 1/2" thick x Width of your LT, + 2", either- side, aluminum 'rails', and use 'heavy' (5/16" min; 3/8" better...) threaded-rod + double-nuts, top/bottom to make a 'box-clamp' around it, if you're just looking to prevent 'flex'...

IF you need to 'hang' from the base, this can be 'tied-in' to the 'pipe' design, up-top, ie:...

Name:	SideRail.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	17796

...Use your 'imagination', but do anything with at least 5/16" min; 3/8" better, 1/2"-thick, best, stock... Make a trip to your local Pro-audio / lighting shop and think 'hardcore'... (I would not really recommend 'off the shelf' proj-brackets, etc...)

Hope this helps...
    peace...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    If it is half as heavy as my LT-1000 clone, I would keep it on the ground. Mine is HEAVY though.

I bet its at least as heavy as yours What kind of lift do you use for ground support? and what kind of "tray" for the LT to sit in?

I technically dont have to have it mounted to truss but I just thought that it would be easier to do it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew/DLS View Post
    I have an LT1000 and hang it from truss all the time.
    The rigging mounts supplied with the case from OSLS are more than up to the task. If you're not sure about it, double check with OSLS for their take on the weight limit.
    Make sure you connect the mounts to a rated clamp like a "Mega Clamp" or other heavy duty clamp. With 2 mounts, your asking each mount to take on a 40 lb load, it should be no big deal.
    I should have been more clear that this is a CLONE and not an official LT-1000. They dont even make them as big as this case is . I definitely wouldn't tryst anything other then supporting it from underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    ... for 'base support' I'd make up two 3/8" > 1/2" thick x Width of your LT, + 2", either- side, aluminum 'rails', and use 'heavy' (5/16" min; 3/8" better...) threaded-rod + double-nuts, top/bottom to make a 'box-clamp' around it, if you're just looking to prevent 'flex'...

IF you need to 'hang' from the base, this can be 'tied-in' to the 'pipe' design, up-top, ie:...

Name:	SideRail.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	17796

...Use your 'imagination', but do anything with at least 5/16" min; 3/8" better, 1/2"-thick, best, stock... Make a trip to your local Pro-audio / lighting shop and think 'hardcore'... (I would not really recommend 'off the shelf' proj-brackets, etc...)

Hope this helps...
    peace...
    j
    I was thinking that if i couldn't find something Pre-Made that this would be exactly how to do it.

Thanks John, andrew, and allthat,
    -Brooks

If I was doing it I would probably run a couple of M12 studs right the way through the case (maybe in the corners) with forged eyes at the top end and suitable lock hardware at the bottom, then a couple of slings and shackles, job done.

Depending on the dimensions you MAY be able to get "dynamo" eye bolts long enough.

Doing the half coupler thing is tricky if the case must be fundamentally supported from below, you could weld up a cage, just remember to brace it adequately, or you could (if the internals allow) drop a pair of studs right the way through inline with the centre of mass and stick a couple of half couplers on the top end (still need the independent safety however).

I would want an independent secondary fixing point to take a safety, remembering that it it takes 6 inches of fall before the safety goes tight you have quite a high shock loading to contend with.

All rigging should have a MBS at least 8 times the anticipated load, and remember to be careful of side loading eye bolts (the rating drops massively). You will want to mouse or at least thread lock all the critical hardware.

Regards, Dan.

If you just want to fab a stand mount for the LT1000 case here is how I did it.

I found the CG using a piece of pipe and finding where it balanced and then built a steel plate with nuts welded to the back side of the plate and got a Exterior Mounting Bracket from Guitar Center. Easy bolt on / off at gigs.

Name:	DSC00432.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	17831

For a stand I have a Global Truss ST-132 crank up stand. You could jack up a house with this thing. 13' 6" max high and built like a tank. Only drawback is it is 60 lbs.

Name:	Global Truss ST-132.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	17832

A couple of other mods I did to the case were:

Nylon strap handles with grommets.

Name:	DSC00429.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	17833

Aperture cover and beam blocker.

Name:	DSC00425.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	17834

Gene

I relay like that idea but that exterior mounting bracket looks weak. My case is probably almost 2x as big as yours and I don't think that piece could support it. Now if it was a little bigger and made of metal I think It would work great.

If i cant find a better "exterior mount" this is the way I am probably going to support the case

-Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
    I relay like that idea but that exterior mounting bracket looks weak. My case is probably almost 2x as big as yours and I don't think that piece could support it. Now if it was a little bigger and made of metal I think It would work great.

If i cant find a better "exterior mount" this is the way I am probably going to support the case

-Brooks
    My case is a LT1000 and weighs about 60+ lbs. The OnStage mounting bracket holds it just fine. I thought about making a metal exterior mounting bracket if the OnStage one seemed to not be strong enough, but it worked just fine on my system.

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Phredy1 View Post
    My case is a LT1000 and weighs about 60+ lbs. The OnStage mounting bracket holds it just fine. I thought about making a metal exterior mounting bracket if the OnStage one seemed to not be strong enough, but it worked just fine on my system.

Gene

Good to know!

What are the dimensions of your case? Mine is a clone so its not the same as yours. Mine is 30inx20in and 12in tall.

-Brooks