Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galvanometer amp ID... no trim pot labels

Default Galvanometer amp ID... no trim pot labels

Hey guys, I mentioned this in another thread about an argon laser i'm playing with but i figured i should stick it in the right forum.

Anyone know what this is?

I'm trying to figure out what the pots are on this amp so I can tune it. It was connected to a Chameleon PM21 controller and drives a pair of G120D scanners. I've got a connector pinout, but nothing else. It's got a centre tapped 20 VAC transformer to go with it, so the smoothing and regulating is onboard (bipolar supply for opamps, 7815, 7915 and 7805 regs onboard) There's some 5-pin to220 packages at the bottom, audio amplifiers maybe? Motor drivers? They have the part numbers scratched off.

Scanners

Amp

Blurry controller

As you may already know that's an early Chameleon Tech dual channel driver you have there. You have gain, servo gain, velocity, twist and offset for each channel. Anticlock was always down/reduce on the prod amps so if this one is the same and you can display some kind of pattern now, you should be able to work out the pots with careful gentle tweaking and seeing what changes, otherwise George McDuff may be able to help ya

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    As you may already know that's an early Chameleon Tech dual channel driver you have there. You have gain, servo gain, velocity, twist and offset for each channel. Anticlock was always down/reduce on the prod amps so if this one is the same and you can display some kind of pattern now, you should be able to work out the pots with careful gentle tweaking and seeing what changes, otherwise George McDuff may be able to help ya
    Odds are they are tuned well enough right now, it is very advisable when working with analog tuned show gear to let things be.

Do you have a oscilloscope?

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Odds are they are tuned well enough right now, it is very advisable when working with analog tuned show gear to let things be.

Do you have a oscilloscope?

Steve
    Yeah, good call man, but when i plugged the PM21 in there to test them out they oscillated something fierce. I think position detection is working because the out of range shutdown fired a few times. I've gotta get a proper working DAC to test them out properly. I'd love to get my hands on a working PM21 for a few days, just to figure out the signals and see if the amp is working, if not i'll probably just abandon the G120's and get a matched scanner/amp set, or try and build my own digital amp

Also, my bet is that is close to a Laser media LM22SDA or a factory G12o simple amp with a newer output stage, re engineered as a double... translation, I bet I have a schematic that is close enough for you to figure out whats what.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-22-2009 at 17:24.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Also, my bet is that is close to a Laser media LM22SDA or a factory G12o simple amp with a newer output stage, re engineered as a double... translation, I bet I have a schematic that is close enough for you to figure out whats what.

Steve
    Awesome! The man with the plan... what, do you have the universe's biggest filing cabinet labeled "Schematics"? Kick ass

ps.. x and y could totally have been swapped.... are different galvos really THAT different? The mirrors are the same sizes...

Quote Originally Posted by robotarmy View Post
    Awesome! The man with the plan... what, do you have the universe's biggest filing cabinet labeled "Schematics"?.
    Yes he does, the rest is in his brain. Gotta find the download button...

Quote Originally Posted by robotarmy View Post
    Awesome! The man with the plan... what, do you have the universe's biggest filing cabinet labeled "Schematics"? Kick ass
    end quote

If you have a problem with that, I can always burn the wall of 3 ring binders......

ps.. x and y could totally have been swapped.... are different galvos really THAT different? The mirrors are the same sizes...
    end quote:

If you have a problem with that, I can always burn the wall of 3 ring binders......
    GSI 1xx or 3xx can be, most more modern stuff, no.

Start HERE: http://www.skywise711.com/lasers/scanner/scanner.html
    And HERE:http://www.camtech.com/archive/12pcx_CX660.pdf

If that doesn't work, I have one more back home.

Thanks to Skywise for hosting the PDF.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-22-2009 at 20:31.

I get mad oscillations from my PM controller (PM20 I think) if it's left turned off for long periods and the memory battery goes flat. I can clear this with the reset code.

The scanners/amps may well be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Yag View Post
    I get mad oscillations from my PM controller (PM20 I think) if it's left turned off for long periods and the memory battery goes flat. I can clear this with the reset code.

The scanners/amps may well be OK.

HOLY CRAP it worked!!

Sweet, i don't think the amp is tuned properly as it still hits the position limiting etc, but i'll have to trace that out sometime. The controller is putting out a fine signal now Thanks for your help yag!