Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Framestreamer 1.0 Problem

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Default Framestreamer 1.1 Problem

Hi all,

I have a Framestreamer 1.1 DAC here, which worked perfectly until yesterday. It basically just stopped working with no obvious reason.
    I tried rebooting the program, rebooting Windows, replugging the USB cable, using another USB cable, installing the software on another computer etc., but the DAC refused to do anything.
    When I start the program (NLS) he gives the error that the Framestreamer Express device is not responding.
    I don't think there is a cable problem either, because when I plug it in again, my projector gives a small reaction.

I think I tried all I could do, but I don't know what to do now. Is there someone who can help me?

I already contacted Norm himself but I'm awaiting a reply, and maybe someone here knows an answer or has a solution?
    I'll shoot a picture of the device soon.
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 06-20-2010 at 02:19. Reason: It's about the 1.1 version!

Here are some pictures of the faulty unit. I can not see anything that is wrong.
    Are there any suggestions of what to test, and more important, how to test them?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6399.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	17801

I believe the fault is somewhere in this part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf6398.jpg  

Hi.
    I may be able to help

If you don't already know, here's the procedure for setting up the drivers:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

1) Install VCP drivers from link above.

2) On FSX, set the 4 pots to mid point. BTW, on Norms prototype, the pots
    operate backwards, i.e. CW = smaller image. It no big deal, but it's worth
    mentioning.

3) Connect the FSX to USB cable - to computer.

4) Should see some detection activity and "Drivers succesfully installed..."

--------------------------

Did you see the string: "Failed to open FrameStreamer Express device." in
    the box showing stats (below ILDA Header Info in NLS)?

If so, it means that NLS can't see the FSX device.

1) FSX board must be connected before NLS is started.
    2) Is blue led on at all?

3) In the Device Manager, do you see "USB Serial Converter" and "USB Serial
    port (COM5)"?

4) If you see those, try using Hyperterminal or other communication program
    to connect to it. If you manage to connect, try resetting the board by
    shorting J2 - pins 5 and 6, too see if a msg is received. See below picture - ConnectingToFSX.jpg.
    If you receive the first string, press ! And you will see BOOT, FSX meaning that the application has started in the device.

5) When this is done, you must disconnect Hyperterm (or whatever you are
    using), quit the app, and retard NLS.
    You should be able to see "Successfuly opened the FrameStreamer Express device."

Hope this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DeviceManager_FSX.jpg  

ConnectingToFSX.jpg  

USBDAC_1_0_SCH_BW.png  

USBDAC_1_0_SCH.png  

--------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Hi Smog,
    Thanks! I'm going to try it now, hope it works...

Nope, didn't work.
    I reinstalled the drivers (I hope I did that right, at least I got the 'drivers installed' message)
    I could not find the COM5-port in Device Manager, only COM4. The USB serial convertor is present and shows up as Framestreamer.

I then tried making connection via HyperTerminal, but I could not locate J2 on the device. That diagram doesn't make sense to me at all. It seems like some names are swapped, like the USB port is labeled J1 instead of J4 and such.
    Could you look at the picture in my second post and tell which pins I have to short? If you need any close-ups just ask.

Thanks for your help!

Woops, my bad. I just noticed I have the 1.1 version. Does anyone have the schematics for that one?
    There was no distinction between the different versions of the Framestreamers on Norm's website, only between 1.0 and 2.0. So I assumed there were no different versions... But I just read the letters on the fine print on the board and figured there were multiple versions... Goddammit!

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Woops, my bad. I just noticed I have the 1.1 version. Does anyone have the schematics for that one?
    There was no distinction between the different versions of the Framestreamers on Norm's website, only between 1.0 and 2.0. So I assumed there were no different versions... But I just read the letters on the fine print on the board and figured there were multiple versions... Goddammit!
    Not sure if you need to remove drivers, but if so, this page will help:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-new-hardware/

Works with XP, Vista and Windows 7

Gene

Thanks for the hint but I could see the drivers without any problems. Reinstalling drivers didn't help.

I think I need to reset the board. Smogthemog posted a circuit of the board and how to do it, but I have the wrong type here. I made a mistake in my initial post, I have the Framestreamer 1.1 here instead of 1.0.
    Apparently there are a few major differences between the two boards and I can't find the correct pins to short.

Problem solved!
    I got a reply from Norm which solved the problem within two minutes. I had to reinstall the Flash utility and it worked again.

Thanks for your help!

So, the conclusion was that the flash program or eeprom data bits on the atmel microcontroller has gotten auto-corrupted?