Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bugger...

The worst electrical accident I've had was discharging a 30 kV EHT system through myself. One minute I was aligning a tube in a projection TV, the next minute I was waking up, upside down on the other side of the room with my boss and two other repair technicians asking me if I was okay. I distinctly remember the smell of burning flesh, and the fact that the palpitations didn't subside for two days.

The worst mech-eng accident I've had would be when I forgot to remove the mole grips that were clamped on the clutch basket of the motorcycle engine I'd just finished a top/bottom rebuild on. I went to thumb the starter to turn it over a couple times slowly, just to move some oil around, and unfortunately the acetone I'd used to clean off the gasket material had evaporated enough inside the engine to fire the thing up (the fuel system wasn't connected, so I didn't expect it to run.)

The engine fired up and as the timing wasn't done yet, it immediately shot to about 11k rpm for a tenth of a second or so; I know this because my datalogger was attached. I immediately lost interest because the mole grips came off the clutch basket and hit me in the back of the head and knocked me flat out. Fortunately it was a glancing impact because if it hadn't been it probably would have fractured my skull and/or killed me.

Since then I've always been very, very careful about what I leave attached to rotating machinery!

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    Since then I've always been very, very careful about what I leave attached to rotating machinery!
    Chuck key, very large lathe, got distracted by a phone call....
    BTDT.

Regards, Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by DMills View Post
    BTDT.

Regards, Dan.
    oh, dan look on the bright side...The chuck key is easier to locate when it is embedded in your chest.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by DMills View Post
    BTDT.

Regards, Dan.
    Yeah, HAHA that's what I was thinking of while reading Heroic's story. I think the old chuck key has plagued a lot of us.

I remember pulling my friends arm (still attached thank God) out from around a 6 foot lathe because the lathe dog snagged his long sleeve jacket. Tore him up pretty good, He's lucky I was near the E stop.

1999 Pyro seatbelt pre tensioner exploded on the bench, 1" X 3/4" steel piston hit me square between the eyes, smashed nose bridge, face ripped open between the corners of my eyes, powder burns to the face and eyes, 3 pints of blood lost. Resulting scar makes me look like a thug.

I still consider myself the luckiest guy that it wasn't an inch either way.

We sound like a bunch of war veterans

EDIT:

If Norty wakes the baby tapping these holes he might be adding something worse.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

To make a long story, super short. I had the bomb squad out to investigate and destroy one of my "projects"

i actually had the bomb squad blow up some of my projects back in 2007 and ended up shutting down Boston for the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PitZmZAGS1s

Quote Originally Posted by VJ AIWAZ View Post
    i actually had the bomb squad blow up some of my projects back in 2007 and ended up shutting down Boston for the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PitZmZAGS1s

Circuit boards, wires and batteries,,, Oh My!

Ha! yeah, I remember that! You rock! Obviously no one on that crack team has seen ATHF. LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXIDd...eature=related

http://boingboing.net/2007/09/21/mit...-arrested.html

Portable "Light Bright" is obviously a threat to national security.

Last edited by 300EVIL; 06-25-2010 at 20:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    1999 Pyro seatbelt pre tensioner exploded on the bench, 1" X 3/4" steel piston hit me square between the eyes, smashed nose bridge, face ripped open between the corners of my eyes, powder burns to the face and eyes, 3 pints of blood lost. Resulting scar makes me look like a thug.

Good Lord! Yeah, I hate messing with airbags and seatbelt tensioners when I have to take them out to work around them. I've seen what they are capable of. Glad to hear you survived.