Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bugger...

Default Bugger...

Had to stop play halfway through fitting my first 445 into my first projector today because I snapped my M3 tap off in one of the shimming blocks for the 445 mount....

Arsebiscuits. And the missus and nipper gets back tomorrow so it puts paid for any further work until next weekend now.... double arsebiscuits

Just had to get that off my chest.

Thank you

Why tap the shimming block?

Couldn't the shimming block just be drilled and then sandwiched between the mount and base?

P.S. I am feeling your pain.

Arsebicuits indeed, you have my sympathy
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

If the block is aluminum just dip it in a heavy sulfuric acid solution overnight and the tap should dissolve out.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Thank you[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=norty303;151779]Had to stop play halfway through fitting my first 445 into my first projector today because I snapped my M3 tap off in one of the shimming blocks for the 445 mount....

Arsebiscuits. And the missus and nipper gets back tomorrow so it puts paid for any further work until next weekend now.... double arsebiscuits

Dude, I just did the very same thing!!! I'm currently living on a small Caribbean island where there are no taps (in fact not much of anything ), I had to get mine shipped in, which took forever. Damn I wish I had more sent over. guess I'll either up everything to M4 or wait another 5 weeks for some to be shipped.

Definitely aresbicuits!!!!

Cheers
    Rich

Remember...1/2 turn forward, 1/4 turn back

....(just got done tapping about 40 holes today) . I feel your pain. My condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by Synce View Post
    Remember...1/2 turn forward, 1/4 turn back

....(just got done tapping about 40 holes today) . I feel your pain. My condolences.

Yeah, that and tap oil. Not WD-40!

On the bright side, it snapped off proud so I wound it out with some mole grips.

As to why tap it....

The shim block is 10mm thick and fixed in place, the Aixiz table mount is fixed to this and can be moved around for lining up better with the mirror. The shim block already had some M4 holes in it from its previous use, my mounts need an M3, so tapping was the only way.

Mind you, at least I'll have some new ones here on Tuesday, Rich, I feel your pain!

Muthu#$#%&&*&%*^$%#%@#

Oh boys I know that feeling well

Snapping Taps 101

The joys of tapping m2 10mm deep in stainless..." now I should be carefull this could
    get ugly... hmmm what am I going to do on the weekend....SPAP!!!
    OHDAMMIT#$%$^$%&^FOR THE LOVE OF#$%^%&^&%^* What kind of muppet engineer asks for m2 10mm deep in stainless.....#uck it! oh if only I was paying attention!"

I think the snapping taps experience could be woven into buddist teachings about staying in the present moment

It always happens during that little quarter of a second lapse in concentration.

And for the next lesson we'll be talking about stabbing yourself in the hand with a steak knife because you were to lazy to go get a screw driver from the next room

Condolenses brothers
    Kit

Copper is the biggest wan*er to tap, it lulls you into a false sense of security with its softness then work hardens like a mofo when you wind back to break the swarf
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.