Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can someone help me dig up a previous thread?

Cool

I actually had to go back and read his thread on the Laserboy forums to see what he meant. Ah yes, he says he has some "classic" buffo e-mails. That's interesting, as I don't think I've sent enough e-mails to him (maybe a dozen total in the 3 years I've known him) to have any one of them qualify as a "classic".

Then again, I suppose anyone that disagrees with him would automatically be relegated to the "classic" category. Sigh...

I'm through with him. I've wasted countless hours trying to get him to see reason. It hasn't worked. I'm moving on.

Adam

Hi all,

His latest email to me:

You have only attempted to communicate with me directly about one time.

Other than that you communicate with "the community" and _at_ me.

You really don't get me at all.

I don't like being called mentally ill.

Fuck you.

James. : )

Nice guy, eh?

By the way, does anyone know if he will be at SELEM? Is he even "allowed" to come?

Just wandering...

Bill

Cool

He hasn't signed up yet.

Personally, at this point I'm inclined to refund his money if he tries to sign up. In my opinion, the event doesn't need his drama. (Pro tip for James: insulting everyone involved is not the way to land a spot on the guest list. )

Edit: After careful deliberation and consultation with other PL members, I have officially decided to ban him from this year's event.

He got ugly with me in his e-mails too, especially at the end. Wish he'd go get some help somewhere... He clearly needs it.

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 07-22-2010 at 18:20.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    He hasn't signed up yet.

Personally, at this point I'm inclined to refund his money if he tries to sign up. In my opinion, the event doesn't need his drama. (Pro tip for James: insulting everyone involved is not the way to land a spot on the guest list. )

He got ugly with me in his e-mails too, especially at the end. Wish he'd go get some help somewhere... He clearly needs it.

Adam
    Well, this is a PRIVATE event, and as was discussed in other threads, we do try to prevent problems before they happen.
    My gut feeling is the ranting & raving will only get worse as we get closer to SELEM, and we all put way too much time and effort into the event (especially you!!) to have to worry whether or not we'll have to put up with that crap during the meet.

As far as I'm concerned, this BS, that has now been thrown both directly and indirectly in the faces of many of the members here for several years now, overshadows any contributions he is making to our community and the events we try to put together.

I vote that THIS year, he be added to the "uninvited" list, with the option to return to future events if he will ever learn to just STFU....
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

i dont know a fraction of what this soap opera drama is all about, but if james (and i *personally* have nothing against the guy) is going to come or want to come just to create some BS drama...don't exend an invitation to him please or politely tell him not to show up.

This event is supposed to be a *FUN* event and an educationel event. The last thing any of us need is some MTV Real World drama crap!

SELEM atendees are going to be FURIOUS if some stupid ass fight (physical or verbal) breaks out becasue of this.

Just my opinion.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Lightbulb I hate to think there will be an un-invited list...

I have been staying away from reading the "new" drama, but I would llike to remind everyone that several of the drama makers were at SELEM last year and no drama actually occured.

Most of this drama surrounds very... VERY intelligent people who have different views on something they are very passionate about. In my opinion it is mainly the egos of the intelligent persons, on both sides, that are perpetuating this drama and honestly that is cool; that is how progress is made sometimes. I hope like last year, anyone who attends SELEM this year can leave their egos at home and we can have an enjoyable event that includes anyone who wants to attend.

My ego will of course be with me... as it is small. It is my superego we all have to worry about, and that of course will be everywhere asw usual.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Talking It's the INTERWEBZ!!!!!!!

Yeah, I can vouch for allthat's position above.

Additionally, I'm a firm believer that the internet, while extremely valuable and an incredible resource, is not the real world. People behave differently here, myself included (obviously) and I think that's just fine as long as topics aren't in violation of the law and people know when to quit. The fact that I can voice anything I want online is half the beauty of it to me, and being able to state unabridged thoughts and feelings can be valuable. Don't judge people themselves by how they are online.
    Last edited by ElektroFreak; 06-28-2010 at 07:45.

once again appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    Don't judge people themselves by how they are online.
    The judgments being made against James are based on a lot more than just the drama that we experienced here on PL. This issue literally spans years, and involves forum posts, private e-mails, phone conversations, and more.

I've been on the phone with him for *hours* at a time, on numerous occasions, re-hashing the same old topic again and again. Patrick Murphy at ILDA was also reaching out to James at one point, via e-mail and the telephone, trying to bring him into the community and to put to rest the continued controversy (in James' mind anyway) concerning the format 3 file specification. Even Bill Benner tried to engage James in meaningful conversation about palettes and color options as they pertain to laser artwork. And in every one of these cases, James eventually "blew up", driving those people away with his completely irrational (and wholly inappropriate) behavior.

It's difficult to explain my extreme frustration with the whole situation. I have really tried to make this work - to "reach" James on some level so I can include him in our group. Contrary to his belief, I don't hate him - not one bit. I honestly wanted him to continue to be an active member here, as I believe that he does have valuable insight to offer the community. That's what kept me at it for so long. Yet despite all my effort, I have failed utterly. He is just as unreachable now as he was when he was banned 18 months ago.

The guy seems to have two personalities. One is quite enjoyable. The other is very close to the textbook definition of paranoid / delusional behavior disorder. Unfortunately, you never know which personality you're going to end up talking to: the level-headed one, or the paranoid one who is convinced he's a victim of an ILDA conspiracy against him and his software. It has been my great misfortune to have been stuck arguing with the delusional one on many occasions. To say that these phone calls tried my patience is an understatement.

True, at the previous two SELEM's that he attended, he was very reserved, and most people (myself included) enjoyed having him there. However, in both cases, after the event was over with, the "other" James re-surfaced. And after witnessing the numerous problems that this alter-ego can cause, I am just not willing to run the risk of having it surface at this year's event. I am sorry, but I have run out of good will.

Adam

My statement is confined strictly to online behavior.. once you're on the phone or face to face then you're involved in real life interaction, where it pays to have some respect and politeness.

I know James.. we've had our own share of issues. He took issue with the fact that I've made soundcard DAC tutorials here and on LPF (with a LOT of help from drlava) but didn't give him credit for inventing the whole concept. The issue I have with that is that he invented Laserboy.. and I don't mention Laserboy anywhere in my tutorials. Consequently there is no need to acknowledge him. The original Laserboy correction amp schematic was drawn by Dean Hammonds, not James. Dean is acknowledged in the tutorials. After James' behavior in the tutorial thread on LPF I would be hard pressed to acknowledge him even if it was due.. but I don't hold it against him personally since we were interacting online.

If his misbehavior carries over to real-world interactions, then you are thoroughly justified in your feelings and actions.