Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can someone help me dig up a previous thread?

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I was in the room when the PC soundcard dac was proposed with James. It was a discussion of between the two of us. I had known of it being used by more then one guy prior to our discussion, using software called Lissajous.exe on the PC, and Pat Murphy et Al used the Amiga motherboard Paula sound chip with LSD1000 long before I met James or saw Lissajous.exe. I'm not sure where the Mac based "Choreographics" software by Laser Images/Laserium fits in the timeline, but its there some place.

In fact, a "Quadmod" is the name of a early board used to add at least a second set of DACs to the left-right channel in a Amiga. Four dacs = Quad. I believe the "Quadmod" is a Bill Benner Invention. The original was a small board called "QUADMOD " that "intercepted" the Paula signals by plugging into the Paula socket. Quadmod was available around the late 198Os,for the Amiga, this I know because when LD XXX came out and superceded LSD1000, Pangolin graciously made a two channel version of LSD1000 available for 99$ using Paula only for X-Y. My first laser show control software was LSD1000 running on a Amiga 1000. Probably around 1989-1990 just after I was out of high school.

Point is, James aided in sound card laser output being made common, and in its perfection, and freeware, However he is probably the second person to make multichannel laser output code for a sound card on a PC, starting with a then 19.95 PCI sound card with a 5.1 chip. But he did NOT get there first. I sat in the room when James drew his first 1 khz circle on a o'scope. I watched him cut the C code in about 20 minutes. I know this very well, because I had bought a used Turtle Beach "Tahiti" dc coupled sound card a few weeks before the conversation, for my attempt at this purpose. Sadly my used "Tahiti" arrived dead, and they were no longer in production.

I know who got there first for precomputed ILDA to multitrack wav on the PC, but that person is very conservative, and rightfully wishes to keep his name out of this mess. He reads this board, and can post if he wishes.

The person who did multitrack on the PC, first, made a sophisticated ILDA file to multichannel wav file converter code. That wav file needed another commercial multitrack editor software to play it in real time on a then gigabuck multitrack sound card or dump it to a ADAT. That system was sold around the country probably a year before James did his code.

What James did do was two things. The first was make it commonly available. Second, James made it real time callable in "C" with multiple tracks on a PC. Those two are Jame's rightful "FIRSTS" as far as I know.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 06-28-2010 at 11:34.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Nevermind. I'll just bite my tongue and let people believe what they believe.
    Last edited by JohnYayas; 06-28-2010 at 15:16.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Nevermind. I'll just bite my tongue and let people believe what they believe.

For those that do not know, John Yayas was also cluebyfoured in his previous existence on this board as Carmengary. Around the same time as James Lehman.

He is the creator of "Spaghetti" software.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

So?

For those of you who don't know, Steve is the guy who I caught redhanded making jokes at my expense at last years SELEM and has yet to apologize.

Your going to upset the secret squirrel society!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	friends.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	18072

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    So?

For those of you who don't know, Steve is the guy who I caught redhanded making jokes at my expense at last years SELEM and has yet to apologize.
    and... Buffo caught me doing the same thing... And commenced to making jokes at my expense... after buying me a drink.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    and... Buffo caught me doing the same thing... And commenced to making jokes at my expense... after buying me a drink.
    Actually, as I remember it, I bought you the drink (the waterfall) only after you agreed to show me how to drink it. And then I ended up drinking half of it... It was a fun time though. (And if you're drunk, then you can be excused at least a little bit for talking shit...)

We do tend to joke among one another, but I don't think it's ever done in a mean-spirited way. I was not aware that Steve was making jokes about Gary, but I may have missed that. As a general rule, we don't put up with people bullying one another. Then again, we're not the sort of crowd that does that sort of thing in the first place.

Adam

Lightbulb I can't wait!

I forsee some drinking and shit talking in about 6 weeks...

Smile

I hope you remember what goes in a waterfall, because I can't... Though I remember that it tasted pretty damn good. I'm up for trying it again if you can remember the ingredients!

Adam