Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can someone help me dig up a previous thread?

Exclamation James Lehman will not be attending SELEM 2010

Hate to bring a dead thread back to the front, but the issue has come up privately over the past few days, and I thought it would be prudent to post (again) in public about it, just so everyone is clear.

For the record, James Lehman is *not* welcome at this year's SELEM. Though he has not registered yet, nor made any attempt to do so, he will *not* be allowed to attend any SELEM activities, even as a guest. While he and I are no longer in direct contact, the word has been passed to him.

Sorry if this sounds petty. Believe me, it's not. I've spent many hours mulling this over in the past few weeks, not to mention the huge amount of time I've wasted trying to discuss things with James in the past. This decision is mine to make, though I did solicit advice from numerous PL members as well. Also, this is not being done out of revenge or spite, but rather for the good of the group and my own personal protection (from a liability standpoint) as the event organizer.

While the ban was already stated above, I felt a public repeat of this fact was in order, particularly in light of recent private message conversations. And since this thread is the most relevant to the reasons why he was banned, I thought it was the one most appropriate to make the announcement.

I don't want to get into all the drama behind the decision again, but I will answer specific questions if need be. (Most of the answers can be found in the posts above.) The short version is that I can't trust him, and I honestly feel that any benefit he may bring to the event is outweighed by the risk of him doing something inappropriate or unruly, and that's not something I want to deal with. (Nor do I feel that anyone else should have to put up with it.) Several senior members agree with this decision, and it is now final.

Adam

Can't say that I blame you. I truly don't think he would be a risk, but that is always a possibility. There was a point, very early on in this thread, where I almost wanted to suggest letting him show up and to give him 15 minutes on a soapbox to say what he has to say. But, then I realized that no one would really be interested in Format 3 theories and that he'd probabaly just go back to Ohio and claim that everyone at SELEM is an idiot and "doesn't get it". I'm assuming that because that is how it has always been with him. Of course, now, he will probably claim that he is banished from SELEM because no one is able to handle his almighty truth.

If you read the thread on LaserBoy you will see that he and I go at it and I don't take the high road by any means. I'm a bit embarassed by it all. For a long time I didn't even post on that forum after he sent me an email that was actually quite similar to the one he sent to Bill Bennar several posts back. But, after I kept hearing about his ILDA webpage and how he was claiming that people didn't have the guts to reply to him (or whatever he was claiming) I had to lay it out for him in an unsugarcoated fashion. So, I apologize to the laser community for that immature display, although, I don't really regret it. Anyway, I wanted to say something about it on here for those who read that thread and wondered if I am some crazy lunatic. [Maybe I am little.] But mostly, I just thought he deserved it. That's all I have to say about that and that's all I am going to say about it.

The only question I have (for Adam) is what was the drink you made me last year with the Amaretto? That was pretty good.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    There was a point, very early on in this thread, where I almost wanted to suggest letting him show up and to give him 15 minutes on a soapbox to say what he has to say.
    Thanks for your input on this, Gary. And yeah, that suggestion to let James state his case has been made by quite a few people. In fact, that was the primary reason Patrick Murphy reached out to him last year. He wanted to put an end to the controversy. But James wouldn't listen to the facts, and the entire conversation fell apart. And I agree that if we were to do something like this at SELEM, the result would be similar. Possibly worse.
    If you read the thread on LaserBoy you will see that he and I go at it and I don't take the high road by any means.
    I've read every post in that thread at least a half-dozen times. I agonized over whether I should jump in over there, but in the end I decided not to. But yeah, things did get ugly pretty fast.
    I'm a bit embarassed by it all.
    Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm rather embarrassed by some of the things I've posted about you in the past. We all lose our cool now and then; we're only human after all. The difference is that we can admit our mistakes, learn from them, and move on. I've yet to see James do that.
    after I kept hearing about his ILDA webpage and how he was claiming that people didn't have the guts to reply to him (or whatever he was claiming) I had to lay it out for him in an unsugarcoated fashion.
    Yeah, I was sorely tempted to jump in when I read that. It's the old saying: "Someone is WRONG on the Internet! I must correct them!" But I resisted, knowing that this was a battle that could not be won. (Wouldn't it be astonishing if he turned out to be simply trolling? If so, he's the best troll in the history of the Internet! But, alas, I don't think this is the case...)
    So, I apologize to the laser community for that immature display
    That took guts to admit. I certainly appreciate your candor.
    The only question I have (for Adam) is what was the drink you made me last year with the Amaretto? That was pretty good.
    HAHAHA! That, my friend, was a Godfather Martini. It's Amaretto and Scotch, chilled, and served straight up in a martini glass. Sounds gross, but it's delicious!

The drink dates back to the 1920's. Back then, it was served as a highball and wasn't chilled. Now, it's making a comeback as a chilled drink in a martini glass. Typically you see them garnished with a cherry, if anything.

To make the perfect Godfather Martini, use 2 parts Scotch to 3 parts Amaretto. Any old Scotch will do (after all, you're mixing it with Amaretto for crying out loud!), but I find that using Disaronno brand Amaretto works the best. Put it in a shaker with a lot of ice and shake for 10-15 seconds, then strain the ice out and pour into a Martini glass. Enjoy!

I'll probably be having a few of them at the pre-SELEM dinner party... For those of you wanting to try one, be careful! They taste great, but remember: It's all booze! So don't try to pound them down like a beer or you'll be on the floor in no time.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I think that would be a "Godfather Martini"... Buffo won't shut up about them.

1 3/4oz. Scotch

1oz. Amaretto

I'll have to try that this year.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    I think that would be a "Godfather Martini"... Buffo won't shut up about them.
    And why not? I like them!
    1 3/4oz. Scotch
    1oz. Amaretto
    That's the recipe from the Mr Boston's Guide, all right, but I find it's too heavy on the scotch.

I've got some 5 ounce Martini glasses here at the house, so when I make them for me I use a simple shot glass and pour two shots of scotch and 3 shots of amaretto into the shaker. Add a bunch of ice, shake, strain, and you're golden! But two of them are my limit when I make them at home. Even though the amaretto is only 56 proof, the scotch is 80 proof, and that adds up!
    I'll have to try that this year.
    I think quite a few people will be trying them. I know I promised DZ more than a few for all the hard work he's done for me on the ILDA splitter!

Adam

woah boy-

Adam is gonna get us all waaasted!!!

Please be careful everyone. Remember:

"Friends dont let friends Lase drunk!"

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Wink

WHAt!!? Guess no one is friends at FLEM; we lase drunk a lot at FLEM... Wouldn't be FLEM without some Captin and Coke. . It is a bit more cozy than SELEM... And no stairs, which is a good thing when drunk.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

And leave the damn aircraft at home.
    Unless your bringing a full size cub or UH60, in which case I may have to commandeer them.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    And leave the damn aircraft at home.
    Unless your bringing a full size cub or UH60, in which case I may have to commandeer them.

Steve
    HEY -

UH60!!

You been bogarting military sim time again?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....