Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 300EVIL's Diode Interface Modules - With LASORB!

THis sounds awsome, but for some reason I can't see any of the pictures. Is anyone else having this problem, or just my computer?

Lazerjock

Glad to see this project moving right along. Great work 300EVIL! It looks like you won't have a problem with demand.

So about the resistors... what value do you think I would need for a dual 445 setup? I want the diodes to last so I plan on running them at relatively low power. My goal is 1 watt after lenses so I'm thinking each will run at about 600mw. What resistance would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    THis sounds awsome, but for some reason I can't see any of the pictures. Is anyone else having this problem, or just my computer?

Lazerjock
    Hmm, that's odd. Here, try a direct link to the pics... http://s512.photobucket.com/albums/t321/hightechstuff2/

Quote Originally Posted by mrblack927 View Post
    Glad to see this project moving right along. Great work 300EVIL! It looks like you won't have a problem with demand.

So about the resistors... what value do you think I would need for a dual 445 setup? I want the diodes to last so I plan on running them at relatively low power. My goal is 1 watt after lenses so I'm thinking each will run at about 600mw. What resistance would you recommend?
    After much consideration I decided to go with .5 ohm @ 1W metal oxide resistors for every order. This should just about cover everyone's needs in a dual or quad arrangement. If someone needs a different value, they'll have to buy it elsewhere.

Thumbs up It looks something like this

Hi Adam,

Great job on the design of your diode interface model.

I was just about to start designing my own when I saw your creation.

I like the flexibility you have incorporated. the only thing I was worried about was strain relief.

I was thinking of maybe making the PCB a bit larger, say 25mm round with 2 or 4 3.5mm clearance holes to allow 2 m3 screws to attach the pcb to the diode mounting block so the PCB takes the load instead of the diodes pins.

It may not be a problem as the interface is very small and light weight and could possibly be stain relieved with cable ties or glue.

Here are some models I made of your interface so people can get an idea of what it
    looks like.

I put some pics of a board with mounting holes up as well. Mostly just thinking out loud. Feel free to make any suggestions.

Thanks for your efforts on making an interface. It's an item that is sorely needed.

Kit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LaserBug 3d model 3.jpg  

LaserBug 3d model 1.JPG  

LaserBug 3d model 4.JPG  

LaserBug 3d model 2.jpg  

LaserBug round 3d model 2.jpg  

LaserBug round 3d model 1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by kitatit View Post
    Hi Adam,

Great job on the design of your diode interface model.

I was just about to start designing my own when I saw your creation.

I like the flexibility you have incorporated. the only thing I was worried about was strain relief.

I was thinking of maybe making the PCB a bit larger, say 25mm round with 2 or 4 3.5mm clearance holes to allow 2 m3 screws to attach the pcb to the diode mounting block so the PCB takes the load instead of the diodes pins.

It may not be a problem as the interface is very small and light weight and could possibly be stain relieved with cable ties or glue.

Here are some models I made of your interface so people can get an idea of what it
    looks like.

I put some pics of a board with mounting holes up as well. Mostly just thinking out loud. Feel free to make any suggestions.

Thanks for your efforts on making an interface. It's an item that is sorely needed.

Kit

Hey Kit!!

WOW! That's freaking awesome!

I have yet to learn how to use SolidWorks. Thanks for taking the time to draw that up. Those models really help a lot.

Yeah, I have played around a little with sockets for diode pins and am finding they will grab nicely on the pins. There shouldn't be any need for additional bracing to keep them attached. Worst case scenario a tiny dab of hot glue from the diode mount to the base will make things solid but easily removable in the future. As long as you are not tugging on the wiring too hard. they should hold on pretty well.

Thanks Again!
    Adam

Nice Kit...Kit... Especially the round ones

you beautified and perfected a design for the ultimate mounting...and made a guy who makes mounts HELL!!! (just kidding of course...If you need strain relief on the diode...you are yanking on the wires too hard)
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

I'm hoping to place this order tomorrow. So..... If anyone wants to make some payments.... Hint, Hint....

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Hmm, that's odd. Here, try a direct link to the pics... http://s512.photobucket.com/albums/t321/hightechstuff2/
    Thanks! The direct link worked fine. That is a great idea. Still can't see the pics on the forum though.

Lazerjock

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Hey Kit!!

WOW! That's freaking awesome!

I have yet to learn how to use SolidWorks. Thanks for taking the time to draw that up. Those models really help a lot.

Yeah, I have played around a little with sockets for diode pins and am finding they will grab nicely on the pins. There shouldn't be any need for additional bracing to keep them attached. Worst case scenario a tiny dab of hot glue from the diode mount to the base will make things solid but easily removable in the future. As long as you are not tugging on the wiring too hard. they should hold on pretty well.

Thanks Again!
    Adam
    Hey Adam,
    Yeah that makes sense. I was just imagining that the diode pins might have become vulnerable to being bent with the extra leverage from the assembly hanging off the back. Mainly I was thinking of accidental bumps. With those socket pins fitting quiet close to the base of the module it is probably quiet structurally sound.

Regarding SolidWorks, If you are interested in learning to use it, give it a try. It may seem daunting before you start but it is actually quiet an intuitive piece of software. If you ask someone to show you the first 3 steps to making a model at your next LEM you will be able to get started and teach yourself from there. When someone shows you how simple it is to make a basic model you will get quiet excited and instantly see the possibilities for expressing your ideas.

Good luck Mate

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    Nice Kit...Kit... Especially the round ones

you beautified and perfected a design for the ultimate mounting...and made a guy who makes mounts HELL!!! (just kidding of course...If you need strain relief on the diode...you are yanking on the wires too hard)
    Hi Pat,
    yes the offset holes look a bit strange, I know. Was just a quick mockup idea. I was thinking with the offset holes in this configuration it would be able to fit on a clamp style mount like yours so that the tapped holes wouldn't need to be were the clamped surfaces meet. also you could rotate it 90degrees if you wanted to.

Considering it seems the interface mounts quiet solidly I think Adam could quiet possibly have a future industry standard on his hands.

ORDERED!!!

Hey Guys!

Parts have been ordered!

Here it the Final - Final design I sent in....

Also, I changed the connectors for the big white molex ones to the little black ones found in computers.... Like this.

These are a little shorter and supply a slimmer profile that doesn't hang off the board. The only downfall is you have to be careful with the polarity and make sure they are plugged in the right direction.