Thread: Winamp beat detector (how to use ?)

Default Winamp beat detector (how to use ?)

I've been playing around with Pangolin's winamp beat detector for livepro (fb3). My luck seems to be hit and miss depending on the music used.

I notice three configurable options. Minimum level of beat detection, initial speed and acceleration.

Minimum level is fairly obvious, however the other two I'm not sure of.

Initial speed seems to affect the output bpm, but not in a linear way.

Am I right to assume acceleration altera how quick detected bpm can change ?

What is the best way to get it dialed in ?

Thanks,

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by m0f View Post
    I notice three configurable options. Minimum level of beat detection, initial speed and acceleration.
    Where are you finding the config options? I only see a slider on the side to adjust what level it triggers the beat at.

Gene

There's a little drop down arrow on the left, which expands the other options.

Unfortunately nothing in the help file about it though.

I did get it working fairly well by leaving acceleration at the default (20) and adjusting initial speed until it wasn't overshooting or undershooting the bpm.

At the time I was testing with some dubstep, however the strange thing is I notice with something with a very detectable beat, the initial speed seems not to make a difference.

Anyone know if this is covered in Insanity's tutorials ?

Try playing with those settings while using the Beat/Audio Modulation panel in the Live Control tab on the right of the screen...

I don't use the audio stuff to be honest as I am yet to find a version of Winamp that actually works properly under Win7 without crashing all the time... I prefer to use the speed controls to get in time with the DJ...

Mark

By the way, that beat detector picks up more than bass beats, it picks up mid and high aswell... You can create effects and colour cycles that react to different tones.. Example a colour cycle that changes with the midrange and an effect that reacts to the bassline..

Mark