Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Flexmod P3 Review

Glad you're starting to get them!

Yes, the modulation ground and supply ground were tied together on the N2, they just had separate holes.

valex, no I didn't forget about you, the heatsinks came today so yours will go out.

How hot they run is entirely dependent on how much higher your power supply voltage is from the diode voltage, and the diode current.. if you're powering a single 4V, 800mA diode with a 12V supply, your heatsink has to dissipate 6.4 Watts. However if you used a 5V supply, it only has to dissipate 0.8 Watts.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Glad you're starting to get them!

Yes, the modulation ground and supply ground were tied together on the N2, they just had separate holes.

valex, no I didn't forget about you, the heatsinks came today so yours will go out.

How hot they run is entirely dependent on how much higher your power supply voltage is from the diode voltage, and the diode current.. if you're powering a single 4V, 800mA diode with a 12V supply, your heatsink has to dissipate 6.4 Watts. However if you used a 5V supply, it only has to dissipate 0.8 Watts.
    well the 445's are like 4.1V no? so isnt it vdiode + 1.5... so 5.6v exceeding the "5-5.5v" recommendation?

or will the diode still work if i put 5V into the driver?

I am running it off a 12v switcher right now but I would actually prefer to drive it from 5v

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    What is your supply voltage? Mine doesn't seem super hot at 600mw, but it is sinked to my base plate.
    12v

its been @ 1.33watts for several hours now... with an 80mm fan blowing over the module and flexmod they are both well within acceptable temperatures (both slightly warm to the touch)

pic

It will be fine at 5V. That Vdiode+1.5V covers the whole 4A range. A more precise equation would be something closer to:
    Vpsu >= Vdiode + Idiode*(0.2+Rwires) + 0.6

Make sense?

Default P3

Still waiting for mine...

Pangolin have released a version most suitable for 445nm actually, giving us 4 types to chose from..

http://www.lasorb.com/12_datasheets.htm

The blu-ray one is the right one to use for now.
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

It will be fine at 5V. That Vdiode+1.5V covers the whole 4A range. A more precise equation would be something closer to:
    Vpsu >= Vdiode + Idiode*(0.2+Rwires) + 0.6

Make sense?
    yes actually that does

will rewire it for 5VDC tomorrow which is great because all the other lasers except for one are running from the same 5VDC PSU, save some space in whats turning out to be a very tight enclosure

and its a Lambda that puts out 5V @ 60A so I think I should be ok running all the lasers off of it

Wow 5v @ 60 amps! Now thats a power supply.

ok did the 5V mod, driver is running significantly cooler, barely warm... been running the diode for about an hour @ 1.2W (turned it down a bit) with a 40mm fan on the o-like module and the driver without a fan... both are just warm... yay