Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have some Windows Vista Business CD's?

Default Anyone have some Windows Vista Business CD's?

Oh Crap !!!!!!!!!

I left my laptop on this morning when I left for work (as I quite often do). However, today's been a pretty warm day and I came home to find my office absolutely boiling hot. My laptop had switched itself off and when I tried to reboot it it says there is no drive/boot device present

I think it's got well overheated and just given up. There's a strange clicking noise coming from the drive as it's trying to get itself going. I stuffed it into the freezer for a while, but sadly no luck there either. It looks like a full Vista re-install onto a new hard drive is necessary.

I have backups of my documents so I can do a restore and get those back, but I don't have any Windows Vista Business edition discs to allow me to re-install the operating system on to a new hard drive.

I do have a (full?) system backup that I made from within Vista. However, I have no idea as to what to do with that, as suspect I cannot restore it from the external hard drive without Vista being installed on a new hard drive in the laptop - a catch 22.

So, if you can help me out with a set of Vista business discs I would be most grateful and at least that will give me a starting point. Please PM me.

Whatever happened to laptop manufacturer's enclosing operating system CD's with their products? What's the point in having a restore partition on the hard drive when the hard drive's knackered ?

My Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400.

Thanks

Jem

Oh, and before anyone asks... I do have the full legitimate licence number for Windows Vista Business on the bottom of my laptop, so everything's above board.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Wouldn't it simply be quicker/easier to download an image from torrent or other p2p source?

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Wouldn't it simply be quicker/easier to download an image from torrent or other p2p source?
    Never used a file sharing network and I wouldn't trust them, i've heard so many bad stories about viruses etc. I'd much prefer to get a set of CD's /DVD's

Thanks for the quick reply though.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Crap-

i got Win 7. that help?
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Thanks Guys...

Rob (Stanwax) is my knight in shining armour. He's come to the rescue and is sending me the discs tomorrow... What a guy

Cheers

Jem

ive also got the nstall disk mate but not to worry if rob is sorting you out
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Thanks Andy, much appreciated but hopefully i'm sorted.

Cheers

Jem

I don't have Vista Business, but I have Vista Ultimate and a Win7 Business disks that I'm not using. If for some reason Stan can't find his I can send one to you.

Cheers,
    Mike

Thanks for the offer Mike, but hopefully i'll be o.k. as Rob (that's his real name ) is 100% reliable.

If for any obscure reason there is a problem i'll be in touch.

Cheers

Jem

Jem
    The DVD was posted 1st class yesterday as promised and hopefully should be the correct one and land with you today
    Rob (not stan )
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk