Thread: scanpro20s making noise

Question scanpro20s making noise

i tried to find an anser but nothing came up.
    are your scanpro20 motors supposed to make any noise when you run certain patterns with a dmx mixing board?
    mine seem to make sounds on certain patterns if i make the pattern as large as it will go.
    i am using a dmx mixing board to controll them. i use it in the band to control all of our lights.

i bought the scanners off of ebay used.
    in the instructions it says to leave the signal ground wire off and ground it at the the ilda but i don't have ilda just dmx.
    and if i do lift the ground my image doubles in size.
    and my scanners make a little more noise not real loud but some noise.
    and my scanner driver boards run a little hotter than when the ground wire is hooked up.
    i added a computer fan and the scanner boards cooled right off.
    is this normal?
    any info would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks and God bless.
    God Bless.

All scanners will making a buzzing sound when running. Some patterns are more demanding than others; therefore, they will "buzz" more.

I let someone else speak for the wiring of the scanpro's. I've got DT's.

Hope this helps.

Default buzzing

Quote Originally Posted by Synce View Post
    All scanners will making a buzzing sound when running. Some patterns are more demanding than others; therefore, they will "buzz" more.

I let someone else speak for the wiring of the scanpro's. I've got DT's.

Hope this helps.
    yea its more of a buzzing than a whine. thanks for your quick reply and may God bless you.
    God Bless.

Smile

Soft buzzing is OK. Screeching, whining, or other high-frequency (and loud) sounds are a sign that they are being over-driven. In such a case, they will fail with continued abuse.

It's normal for the driver to get warm when running complex patterns. If you can't keep it cool with a simple fan blowing across the board though, then you've got problems. If the driver overheats, it can also fail. More importantly though, if the driver is overheating, the scanners are probably being over-driven as well. (Note that the scanners can overheat too.)

Adam

Question scanners

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Soft buzzing is OK. Screeching, whining, or other high-frequency (and loud) sounds are a sign that they are being over-driven. In such a case, they will fail with continued abuse.

It's normal for the driver to get warm when running complex patterns. If you can't keep it cool with a simple fan blowing across the board though, then you've got problems. If the driver overheats, it can also fail. More importantly though, if the driver is overheating, the scanners are probably being over-driven as well. (Note that the scanners can overheat too.)

Adam

first i would like to thank you for all you kind help.
    the scanners are not running hot just the boards but as soon as i cut the fan on they cool all the way down no heat at all.

what is considered hot for the scanner boards?

i mean you can touch them they are not to hot to touch.

i was just wondering why when i unhook the signal ground wire my image doubles in size and is this ok?

thank you and may God bless you.
    God Bless.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tommylee333 View Post
    what is considered hot for the scanner boards?
    Anything over 140 degrees F is hot, with the exception of some high-current scanner amps that can run hotter.
    i mean you can touch them they are not to hot to touch.
    Then you're ok. Most scanner amps don't exceed 120 degrees. If you can touch the amps, they're not overheating.
    i was just wondering why when i unhook the signal ground wire my image doubles in size and is this ok?
    Are you running a differential signal into the amps? (That is, an X+ and X- signal, and a Y+ and Y- signal?) In that case, you should not have a signal ground hooked up to anything. Differential signaling doesn't use a ground. And yes, having the ground connected (especially to the wrong pin) can change your image size.

Adam

Smile thanks

Thanks so much for your answers.
    that was very infomative.
    i have asked a lots of people this question, but you gave the best answer i have had.
    I now realize why i shouldn't hook up the ground wire, because i already have a
    S+ and a S- for the Y amps, and a
    S+ and a S- for the X amps,
    thanks so much for your time and your reply.
    God bless.
    God Bless.

Smile

Happy to help. It's what we do around here.

Adam