Thread: Spectra Physics 2020 with 5060 PSU

Default Spectra Physics 2020 with 5060 PSU

With experience with DPSS lasers, I just start to look on the other face of the laser world and born as a full newbee with Ion lasers.

With this kind of experiment I try to start an SP 2020 and his 5060 PSU, until now without success.

The manual and the schematics are like " unexistant" on internet, I got an status "09" on PSU panel, and when I push the status button this value switch to "01".
    I don have any idea whats append, the PSU refuse to switch to "ON" when I push the button.

First observation: The Interlock loop looks good at the back of PSU, the switch inside the head was blocked with the small yellow piece, ... but I have no difference in status when I open the 5060 PSU cover (protected by an tampered switch too) no change on status panel ? -> open wire on the Interlok loop ?

Second observation: this laser was removed from a laboratory, normally on good state but,...
    When I have open the cover of the 5060 PSU I have see two card are inserted from top to bottom, but still 3 other slots empty .

-> It is normal for an 5060 PSU in conjuction with 2020 Head or some card are missing ?

Some of you know have the schematics of this model or the error code lists ? Have an idea of what i have to check or do ?

Thank you in advance for your help

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

SP psu info:

There is NO schematic or info on the internet. SP works very hard at that.

Error 9, try interchanging the 3 phase leads until you have worked through all the possible connections.

Try:

ABC
    ACB
    BAC
    BCA
    CAB
    CBA

If that does not work, email SP Europe and ask for a error chart.

You do have a remote connector on the unit and installed, correct?

Also ask SP what the typical operating current is, and tube test voltage/current and then run the laser at 80% of this value.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thank you very much Steve,

I will try to rotate the phases as you mentioned, I hope this works :-)

For the other points, yes the remote caps still in place on the rear of the 5060 and the interlok caps too.

When tested, I will post back the result

Patrick

Was this bought on Ebay?

Ive talked to the Swedish SP service a couple of times and they have always told me never to buy from ebay, also if the laser is said to be removed from a Labratory most buyers think that is good, wich in most cases are not, as the laser probably would have been on for 24/7 a long long time and most SP lasers in labratorys are serviced by SP service personel and therefore if a laser like that turns up on ebay from an Surplus seller you can almoust certain say it has done its job along time agoo. and been ruled out by a SP service guy and there fore sold.

Although ofcourse this is not always the case but just a tip i got from a guy working on Spectra Physics.

Was not an Ebay one, bought from a friend who repairs labs equipment. In mean time I have received a copy of the user manual and errors codes, ....
    On this manual the error 9 mean : - water flow problem. I have cleaned the sensor ( long time with old water) on the back of the Head SCR, but I still have the error "9".
    In other hand, when I push the reset alarm off button, I see "1", manual said, phases crossing( like you said ), but without success on each rotation.

I have a transformer behind the Main and the Laser (Switzerland have 230/400 Volts on the main), and the rotation of the phase is good and the voltage level too.

Something special when we use a trafo ?

Any ideas ? other then, first shunt the protection relay on the PSU ? :-P

thanks

Of course

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If this is the variation of the power supply I think it is..., and its been years since I have seen one..

There should be 3 or 6 small transformers, next to each other, inside the power supply. These sense the phase of the power line. Look for breaks in the enameled magnet wire in each transformer right above where the transformer solder lugs are soldered in the board.

You probably need to clear #9 before you can clear #1, and in past cases, at least in my experience, its been a phase sense transformer with a tiny broken wire or blown fuse.

That is as much help as I can give you.

Possibly time to start looking for a simple LEXEL linear supply to hook your tube to...

The power supply is microprocessor based and smart, too smart for its own good. You may really have to work at it to bypass the flow sensor. See if the flow sensor board is LM2917 based, if so, you may be able to bypass it. Two errors tend to suggest a blown I/O latch chip some place between the sensors and the CPU.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-09-2010 at 06:53.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thank you, I follow your pre flight check

I post the pictures just in case that's can help somebody else too.

I have found and checked the 3 transformers of this card, terminaisons looks good. I have checked the continuity on the board and the total resistance including the trafos, looks ok too.

Up of this card a full fuse card, checked ok for all of them.

Next step the flow sensor flow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0358.JPG  

IMG_0356.jpg