Thread: Very unlikely source of optics for the scanner crowd?

Default Very unlikely source of optics for the scanner crowd?

Just came across this video on youtube, was pretty interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Sdu...layer_embedded

...provided the actual beam profile is as shown at the end of the movie, the scanner crowd could just end up buying the item for the optics. Could be a pretty good deal, considering a purchase would get a diode and some pretty decent optics?

That being said I would personally wait for reviewers to determine whether optic extraction is even possible and if the final product ends up with beam characteristics equal to the ones portrayed in the video.

After watching the video another question has arisen in my mind...do you guys consider such a beam profile even possible, without an extensive amount of optics, which most likely wouldn't fit in the casing?

Best Regards,
    brtaman

Rapid prototyping in China is working OT. There is a demand...and yes it would look like a good deal for projector deployment. It would be simpler to modify the laser to be TEC cooled and leave the head as is if the optics can't be extracted. It will be interesting to see one of these...thought it was vapor ware until now....but until I see one. Love to see the spot size at 30 meters... and know the aperture size as well....can't have both without costly optics....that prolly won't fit inside...who wants to dissect one and see? I would....wonder if you can actually get hold of one through customs
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

That room in the video does NOT seem to be in China.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Did anyone else notice how large the spot was? I thought the beam itself was of a considerable diameter. I suspect that the divergence could be somewhat impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    Rapid prototyping in China is working OT. There is a demand...and yes it would look like a good deal for projector deployment. It would be simpler to modify the laser to be TEC cooled and leave the head as is if the optics can't be extracted. It will be interesting to see one of these...thought it was vapor ware until now....but until I see one. Love to see the spot size at 30 meters... and know the aperture size as well....can't have both without costly optics....that prolly won't fit inside...who wants to dissect one and see? I would....wonder if you can actually get hold of one through customs
    I have one on order, and I will dissect it and post results if someone else doesn't beat me to it. I'm especially intrigued by the seemingly symmetrical beam. They may actually be using prisms or multiple cylindrical lenses! I'd be impressed by that.