Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breaking diodes? How easy is it?

Default Breaking diodes? How easy is it?

Ok, so....

I got my diodes off Dan and after getting my antistatic wrist strap I set about mounting them.
    I made up a sub-assembly of a Thorlabs socket with Lasorb so I'd need to handle the actual diode less.

I pressed the diode into the Aixiz housing without ever touching anything more than the flange and only ever touched the pins with the soldering iron to break the bridge. The socket was them plugged onto the diode with mod wires bridged and it was put into an anti-static bag until i came to mount it in the holder on my baseplate.

Could i have killed it somewhere along the line anyway?

I did think (hope!) it might be a dodgy connection on my sub-assembly but that all checks out for continuity.

Not knowing anything about the persons groupbuy, did he power up the PJ's to confirm all were working before being pulled. Some have come DOA.

I have found these guys to be super durable. I am one that doesn't worry much esp when dealing with a lower priced diode. I haven't had any troubles pressing or installing while NOT using a static mat or wrist strap. Perhaps i am lucky but have had no issues. I do have a mat wrist strap etc, but that mean i'd have to clean off my workbench to find it.

The only thing is I always make sure the PS is discharged completely by shorting its leads prior to hooking up and turning on.
    leading in trailing technology

Nope, not even LED, its as black as a hole.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Nope, not even LED, its as black as a hole.
    Does it have a LASORB on it? I had one that was mis marked "A" backwards. If the lasorb is connected backwards you will get a black hole zip nadda nothing. Atleast It doesn't hurt the diode

^That sounds like it's got a good possibility of being the problem.. I've never used a lasorb, so I had no idea about that. Good to know..

Yep, it does have a Lasorb. I made up 2 identical setups to do both my projectors, one worked, one didn't.

I've just stripped it and checked continuity on the assembly up to the diode. I did get some spare diodes, so my next test will be to fit one up in a spare housing and plug it onto the same setup and see what it does.

Yep, it does have a Lasorb. I made up 2 identical setups to do both my projectors, one worked, one didn't.

I've just stripped it and checked continuity on the assembly up to the diode. I did get some spare diodes, so my next test will be to fit one up in a spare housing and plug it onto the same setup and see what it does.
    If it isn't a real pain it might be better to swap the one you know is working with the other to not add another variable to the mix. This would give you better information imo.

Unfortunately thats just been finished and sealed back up in a projector. If a spare diode is also black then I'll get it out and use it, but I'd rather not have to redo all the thermal pads if I can help it.

Unfortunately thats just been finished and sealed back up in a projector. If a spare diode is also black then I'll get it out and use it, but I'd rather not have to redo all the thermal pads if I can help it.
    If the next one appears black, i'd consider cutting out the LASORB. Curious is yours the 24 or 44 size and is the "A" spaced away from the number or crammed next to it. My backwards one the "A" was right next to the number and not separated.

Mine has the A away from the number so i guess the 44.