Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Finally, a little sanity...

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    Yesterday, in my lab.

"Hey honey, what's burning?"

"Uh.... OH SHIT"

Attachment 18174

Class 4 is not a toy.
    Where did I say they are toys? I'm not trying to downplay the danger. I'm just asking if we collectively can avoid broadcasting concerns that have no grounding in reality. I didn't say that combustion isn't possible, it's instant combustion that isn't going to be an issue. If you leave your laser on and walk away and you return to a fire burning, I'd have to fault you for the fire since it was negligence that caused it.

As I've said about 5 times so far, there is much danger inherent to class 4 lasers, especially portables, but we should focus on the dangers that are realistic, like catching a beam off of your wristwatch or a nearby windowpane. Beam/reflection to the eyes, that's where the real danger is here.

I apologize, I'm not trying to piss anyone off but it seems like some folks have nearly gone off the deep end with some of this stuff. I admire those who are doing their best to educate people about the hazards involved with these new developments, but if we're to lead by example I feel that our data should be accurate. The problem is that some folks are stressing out way too much about this, leading to conclusions that have no basis in reality. Others are using this as an opportunity to spread their own feelings as "anti-portable laser" propaganda, latching on to any and every possible hazard, no matter how obscure or nearly impossible they might be.
    Last edited by ElektroFreak; 07-07-2010 at 12:34.

A laser pointer shaped like a light sabre isn't a toy? Sure looks like one to me. I mean, it's shaped in such a way as to *encourage* people to light it up and swing it around. I'd be fine with that if it were 5 mW or even 50 mW. But it's not, it's a full watt, and it'll burn things pretty easily.

On the other hand, trying to stop the inexorably increased availability of high power laser diodes seems Cnutish. I think we're just going to have to get used to the fact that these lasers will continue to scale in power, and that their availability will continue to increase as the price drops.

I think we're just going to have to get used to the fact that these lasers will continue to scale in power, and that their availability will continue to increase as the price drops.

WL have introuduced the Smart Switch ! which on the face of it , seems like a massive leap forward for high powered lasers ... also reduces the excuses as it must be actively turned to high power .... might not be a solution to high powered lasers in the hands of the masses but it IS likely to reduce accidents
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

On the other hand, trying to stop the inexorably increased availability of high power laser diodes seems Cnutish. I think we're just going to have to get used to the fact that these lasers will continue to scale in power, and that their availability will continue to increase as the price drops.

The progress of technology is based on our desire to pack more power into smaller packages. It's the fuel that drives the technological world. It was only a matter of time until we reached this point. If not today, then tomorrow with absolute certainty.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Good news, a friend heard about this thread and is sending me a VHS of the full Durashine commercial. I hope to have it for SELEM!

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Surely not. Just any old pointer >5mW? After all, they banned anything over 5mW here in Australia for this reason right?
    Pointers over 1mW
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Good news, a friend heard about this thread and is sending me a VHS of the full Durashine commercial. I hope to have it for SELEM!

Steve

Exclamation Regardless

It won't matter what U.S. laws or state laws or even if U.S. based Mfgs try to protect the public from Idiots that would use these diodes for vandalizim or other Idiot type things, Americas greed will always win out and china will be the one selling to those Idiots the "death ray" at give away prices with high postage. Don't belive it? check out Ebay on diode lasers, "Burning lasers" being chinas selling point, Korea's as well. 300mw red $75, 100mw green $40., all plug and play. I live in Phx AZ witch has its own ARRA state wide laser regulations, Fed FDA CDHR requires 3m abouve tallest point possable by a audiunce member, Az requires 6m abouve the same. We as laser proffesionals will be the only ones affected by any mods to the laws on lasers of any kind, why, because we are proffesionals and we do care about public safety, All we can do is keep our end up, and try to edducate those who don't give a shit!
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)

Default Knee jerk reaction starts in Australia

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/tech...708-101ee.html

most concerning here is the statment

"Australian Customs and Border Protection has said it has found a steep increase in the importing of lasers in the past year and that anyone caught importing one as powerful as this faces a maximum penalty of $110,000. The regulations were designed to prevent laser attacks on commercial aircraft."

I will be contating customs on monday to clarify what is fact and what is media hype / misinformation.

IT's my intention to source finished 445 diodes from members here once final design and testing has been done, or to purchase one of these to pull apart and use in a projector, seeing statements like this are most worrisome.

I wonder if there's a reward from the Australian nanny government for informing them about those on the LPF who import high powered lasers into that country? I wonder if it's possible to have them ban that web site as well as the lasers they promote and the members there sell?