Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Mobolazer Rebuild

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    142
    Blog Entries
    1

    Smile Mobolazer Rebuild

    Ok, So I'm pretty sure the manager/owner is going to approve this project, so now I need to start building a shopping list. I'm taking a Mobolazer Table with 10 turrets on it, and the plan is to refit it with DPSS lasers, RGB. I know I'm going to need:

    532nm @ 500mw
    640nm @ 800mw
    445nm @ 400mw

    I need to know what else I will need to complete this. I also plan on replacing the DMX X-Y scan head with a proper galvo, and I have some ideas on that. I know I need optics, but I am not sure what I need for blanking. Also, I was wondering if there is a way to mix different intensities of the colors. If there is, I imagine it would take place with the blanking. I will be posting pictures as I start work on this, and I'm hoping to have something completed to bring with me to SELEM, but we'll see.

    So, anyone got suggestions of things I may have left out? Specifically?

    Thanks,

    LULightTec

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,579

    Default

    I am working on actually going to start working on a pair of mobolazers soon...

    I am thinking of removing the actuators that move the color filters in and out of place for the argon and setting them up as flags in front of the R/G/B lasers to at least do some slow mechanical blanking... other idea was to make a buffer circuit that takes the 0-whatever vdc that goes into the actuators and turns it into 0-5vdc to drive the lasers modulation inputs directly

    do you have the manuals for the mobolazer and the dmx scanner setup?

    if your going to get rid of the DMX scanners when you replace them with proper scanners let me know I wouldn't mind having a spare on hand

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,478

    Default

    Hey Lulighttec-

    looks like you got the owners into a decent budget. good for you!

    in order to do this, you will also need Dichros and dichro mounts. software/hardware. i would suggest the QuickShow package that we spoke of previously.

    The way the lasers mix colors is by analog modulation (or TTL. but TTL is very uncommon these days and not preferred). By varying the output power of each laser from 0-100% in turns translates into color mixing. Each laser is controlled by the voltage input. 0V= no output. 5V=Max. output. and then everything in between. so by changing the input voltage on each laser you get approx 16 million color combinations.

    -Marc

    feel free to give me a call again if you have need more info or have more questions
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

    ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

    Authorized Dealer for:

    • Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

    FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    Hey Lulighttec-

    looks like you got the owners into a decent budget. good for you!

    in order to do this, you will also need Dichros and dichro mounts. software/hardware. i would suggest the QuickShow package that we spoke of previously.

    The way the lasers mix colors is by analog modulation (or TTL. but TTL is very uncommon these days and not preferred). By varying the output power of each laser from 0-100% in turns translates into color mixing. Each laser is controlled by the voltage input. 0V= no output. 5V=Max. output. and then everything in between. so by changing the input voltage on each laser you get approx 16 million color combinations.

    -Marc

    feel free to give me a call again if you have need more info or have more questions
    well if you get a pangolin interface with quickshow you could interface it to the galvos and lasers, but then would need to use quickshow to choose the colors for the turrets... also not sure if quickshow supports dmx?

    also personally I think you would be better off getting a huge green for a mobolazer (1~3W+) than full RGB, unless you can make a really big rgb... although I guess it depends on the venue size, smoke etc...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex, England
    Posts
    5,133

    Default

    You probably want about 600mW of 445 with that lot. With things as they are currently, a single diode setup will do all the way up to 1 watt anyway (and beyond in some cases!) so its not really a big issue

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    You probably want about 600mW of 445 with that lot. With things as they are currently, a single diode setup will do all the way up to 1 watt anyway (and beyond in some cases!) so its not really a big issue
    chances are he is looking to buy a commercial module if this is going in a permanent install

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    142
    Blog Entries
    1

    Cool

    Hi all,

    Marc, I'm working on them. I got the manager sold, but she had a conversation with the owner, and it went like this:

    Chris: [paraphrased] This is what it would cost, and we can either do it all at once, or in stages.

    Charles: Well, do we need it?
    Chris: Well frankly, the one we have looks tired, and it got old really fast.
    Charles: Well, why don't we just buy a new one instead of rebuilding the old one?
    Chris: Because it would cost $10,000, and we have the old one.
    Charles: No it wouldn't; I bought that one (the cheap chinese 50mw R/G with 4 heads) for $200!

    So, you see where this is going. We're going to have to double up on him I think. :-)

    Flecom/Norty303,
    I am planning on making QS part of the rebuild (provided it runs in Windows XP; if not I'll have to think of something). As far as the 445, I have something in mind for that. I used Chroma to come up with my color combination, but as I understand the 445 has plenty of space for me to play with the power, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to do whatever I can to keep costs down, so... we'll see what happens.

    Flecom, Once I get the galvo head, I'd be happy to talk to you about the DMX scanner.

    Even if QS doesn't support DMX, LJ will, so I was initially going to use LJ for the turrets and QS for everything else. That may change.

    Now, to go convince Charles.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,579

    Default

    you know what... tell him to buy some of those $200 RGY's and you'll take the old mobolazer off his hands so he doesn't have to deal with it anymore

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    142
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Oh no, you misunderstand. It's not RGY. It's R&G. and that's all. Two green heads and two red ones... if he doesn't give in, I WILL take the mobolazer off of his hands. Of course, then I wouldn't have any budget to do anything. :-(

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lulighttec View Post
    Oh no, you misunderstand. It's not RGY. It's R&G. and that's all. Two green heads and two red ones... if he doesn't give in, I WILL take the mobolazer off of his hands. Of course, then I wouldn't have any budget to do anything. :-(
    if there is one thing I've learned is that some people are beyond saving... get the R&G's... keep the mobolazer, refurbish it, submit the paperwork to the FDA to update the laser info... then rent it to them on big weekends

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •