Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running from a generator - Any special considerations ?

Default Running from a generator - Any special considerations ?

I am wondering if there are any special considerations for running off a generator, such as using a power conditioner or ups in order to protect against unclean power ?

And in general, what is good practice in terms of internal or external protection ?

Thanks,

Miles

Well running a bread machine from a generator could cause the folowing issues ...

We need to know WHAT you are running off of a generator - I assume it's a projector, but for all I know it could have two SP168s in it.

Also what generator?

There is a HUGE difference between a machine from power electrics or someone as you might find at a festival and something designed for running a drill on a building site.

Single or three phase?

Are you bringing the power into an area where there is other power present? If so the earthing sometimes becomes rather complicated (Think TN-C-S and equipotential zones being extended to outside the building.... ) .

Regards, Dan.

Oops my bad, forgot to specify.

It's a 1.5W rgb projector, 532 / 640 / 445 / dt40w. The generator in question is 3500w single phase (split into 2 120v circuits), but would be shared with some audio equipment (though I believe there should be enough headroom power wise). I'm curious how clean the power is from a typical generator and how sensitive the diodes are to damage.

Also, I've read of inrush current even causing trouble with some diodes on startup ? Are the laserwave modules protected from this or are addition protections suggested as well ?

My build : http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11217

Cheers,

EDIT : I'm unsure of the exact model of generator atm (I will find out), but it's definitely a fairly basic model. Regarding other power sources, there is no other power for at least 1 km in any direction.
    Last edited by m0f; 07-03-2010 at 06:42.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Numero Uno, GROUNDING ROD!

Numero DOS, use a safety ground and 3 wire, wiring.

Especially if there are line powered or commercial grid powered audio things on the same circuit.

I usually run the generator into a 4x4 new construction box so I know the 4 outlets have a good ground and are away from the generators 220.

Its good practice to have a disconnect switch so you can pop the load on and off the gen without unplugging, so the generator can load up.

usually I put a 100 watt light bulb load across the generator if its a cheap one, to load it down and get it on the governor.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Everything that Steve said, and if it is a cheap rental and you have a UPS available it should condition the power a bit too. On another note if it isn't a Honda, I wouldn't run audio equipment from it (just personal experience) but others will due. and 3500W generators is this really a 5000W generator with a non-peak output of 3500W (I am assuming). If you are going to be doing a lot of this stuff pick yourself up a whisper watt from honda, the audio guys always use too much power!

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

yea what they said i use a UPS but i am not sure if you will have enough power
    audio amps use a lot of juice and 3500 watts is not a lot

I have a Honda generator, mine has a pure sinewave invertor and runs lasers, audio, computers etc. without any problem at all. It's also very quiet . I also usually have an RCD and surge protector on the line just to be on the safe side.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Apart from grounding, the only other issue I can think of is the waveform. Although, almost everything these days uses a switchmode PSU, which just rectify the mains anyway, so deformed waveforms won't effect them too much. If your projector uses transformers or induction motors (AC fans?) then you may need to make sure it's outputting a "pure" sinewave.

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    Apart from grounding, the only other issue I can think of is the waveform. Although, almost everything these days uses a switchmode PSU, which just rectify the mains anyway, so deformed waveforms won't effect them too much. If your projector uses transformers or induction motors (AC fans?) then you may need to make sure it's outputting a "pure" sinewave.
    A lot of SMPSUs have inductive inlet filters which do not like the harmonics in a poor waveform and will tend to get very hot and/or trip breakers if not fed a good sine wave.