Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My take on a quad red

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    but heres the beam at 18 metres with all 4 beams overlapped -

Looking good Andy.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Great work andy!!! What is the distance between the lenses of the telescope? I know how to calculate the ratio of a telescope but i dont know how to calculate the working distance. If you could help me out here that would be great.

Let's see if i have understood everything correctly.

With lenses of PCV -25 and PCX 75 focal lengths, you get a ratio of -75/(-25) which is 3

The distance between the two lenses should be equal to 75 and the distance of the "apperture" (i.e last bounce mirror, pbs, waveplate etc) from the first lens of the telescope must be 25

correct?
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilling View Post
    Good work, thanks for the update.

I just mounted some 7020 lenses in brass housings too and about to try a 12 diode module.

Do you think your continued stability issues could have anything to do with how the aixiz are mounted in your isolating compound?

What are you using as isolating compound? Does it have good thermal conductivity, or is the heat also being isolated from the mount and therefore not dissipating properly? I use 2 piece sandwich mounts with the bore being 0.2mm bigger in diameter of the diode collimator, the collimator cylinder gets a 1 layer wrap of special isolating thermal foil of 0.2mm thickness giving a snug fit and excellent heat dissipation. No drift issues due to lack of heat dissipation in the collimator!

Just to add my 2 cents, using Dave's brass diode blocks, with no insulation required (diodes in parallel with Flexmod P3 high side driver) I experience no drift or wandering alignment at all. Period.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Just to add my 2 cents, using Dave's brass diode blocks, with no insulation required (diodes in parallel with Flexmod P3 high side driver) I experience no drift or wandering alignment at all. Period.
    This is true, but that's kind of an overkill for combining LOC's. 1 mount is worth more than all of the diodes! I prefer using daves mounts for higher quality applications.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDee View Post
    I don't see how the cost of the diodes is relevant here ...
    So if the same diode would cost €100 a piece, you would use dave's mounts for the setup?
    That's the point, I wouldnt pay more than a couple of bucks for an LOC. It's a quality issue. I can mount 12 of these diodes for a couple of cents in self made mounts especially constructed for the purpose (stagered) of mass combining.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfire View Post
    That's the point, I wouldnt pay more than a couple of bucks for an LOC. It's a quality issue. I can mount 12 of these diodes for a couple of cents in self made mounts especially constructed for the purpose (stagered) of mass combining.
    I used Dave's mounts in my quad red because I had them. Still a cheap build AND it's stable. I'll pay a few more $$$ for stable any day.

Long after the cost is forgotten, the quality remains.
    This space for rent.

Finally someone who is sensible

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    Let's see if i have understood everything correctly.

With lenses of PCV -25 and PCX 75 focal lengths, you get a ratio of -75/(-25) which is 3

The distance between the two lenses should be equal to 75 and the distance of the "apperture" (i.e last bounce mirror, pbs, waveplate etc) from the first lens of the telescope must be 25

correct?
    No.
    Remove the minus sign you 'added'.
    Sep dist. = ∑BFL
    Placement is irrelevant.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

thanks for the input on this one!

although there is a minus in the formula in this page http://www.edmundoptics.com/technica...eam-expanders/

the other minus is my own notation to stand for a ... reversed telescope!
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!
    "its called character briggs..."